Celtic v AC Milan - Match Thead, all comments here

Saw a lot more fight and effort tonight,at 2-1 we looked as if the draw was on,don't think our defence is as solid as it should be Duffy needs to improve his passing out from he back if you can't pass it hammer it don't think the goalie hae settled yet but we don't have the luxury to gave him the time he needs ?? Milan played thier usual game if you can't stop them trip them the yellow cards don't mean a thing to them it's just part of the game not an excuse but they stopped us getting forward a few times by this tactic,if we play like we did in the second half on Sunday can't see us getting beat,

Not convinced with Barkas but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, because of the defence, mostly Duffy. 4-4-2 please.
I’m afraid it looks as though Brown could be losing his place in the team. As soon as Rogic came on there was a bit of pace.
Ntcham can go anytime. Turnbull in.
Strikers- because Edouard out just now, any 2 from Griffiths Ajeti or Klimala.

One observation from last night and the reaction is that we did play better when Christie came on and we benched one of our similar central midfielders....it just so happened it was Broony who was hooked but I think any one of the three of him MacGregor, ntcham going off would have produced a similar spirited recovery.....going forward I think even Stevie Wonder can see that the three of them in there together doesn't work but also I don't think it's right to throw Broony on the scrapheap....I would suggest rotating 2 out the 3 with Broony starting in the tricky away ties

I think most have been saying this since the summer, but sadly Broony's time is coming to an end. BUT I refuse to write him off yet as I believe he still has a massive part to play in this season both on and off the pitch as he is such a massive presence and influence.

Lenny has to be strong and decide when to rest and when to utilise our Captain to maximise his impact for us. To be frank, our manager should have been doing this since the start of August but I've always suspected that he wrongly thought he was benched too early in his playing career so didn't want to repeat this "error" with Broony.

Let's hope for them - and ours - sakes that this has realisation has finally dawned on Lenny otherwise he risks losing 10IAR and unnecessarily tarnishing slightly two magnificent Celtic careers.

I think most have been saying this since the summer, but sadly Broony's time is coming to an end. BUT I refuse to write him off yet as I believe he still has a massive part to play in this season both on and off the pitch as he is such a massive presence and influence.

Lenny has to be strong and decide when to rest and when to utilise our Captain to maximise his impact for us. To be frank, our manager should have been doing this since the start of August but I've always suspected that he wrongly thought he was benched too early in his playing career so didn't want to repeat this "error" with Broony.

Let's hope for them - and ours - sakes that this has realisation has finally dawned on Lenny otherwise he risks losing 10IAR and unnecessarily tarnishing slightly two magnificent Celtic careers.
Totally agree. Brown has a huge role to play this season but not as a guaranteed starter. St Johnstone away showed how to best use him on occasions. Started on the bench, we were struggling to break them down, he came on, drove the team up the park and started barking orders to everyone, we won 2-0. He is also a good sub to come on when we're hanging onto a lead. The 2018 League Cup Final v Aberdeen, came on with 20 mins to go when we were 1 up but hanging on. Organised, tackled and bailed out Lustig who they were doubling up on.
A huge role on and off the pitch, but with a greatly reduced playing time.

Duffy.

He's pretty much Efe Ambrose without the pace, the eye for a pass, the ability to concentrate, or do back flips.
1 thing I doubt duffy used to is our level of pressure coupled with playing that many games in a row including internationals

he also isn't suited to 3 man defence since he always been a no nonsense man

but he is big noise in scotland since he has international caps and he is irish

extra pressure so I think he trying to do stuff he not got talent for but his head swelled thinking scotland will be easy

who knows for sure

but he is a good defender just not used to the pressure plus the exposed non supported style we demand of CBs before we throw them under the bus :p:p:p:p:p:p

1 thing I doubt duffy used to is our level of pressure coupled with playing that many games in a row including internationals

he also isn't suited to 3 man defence since he always been a no nonsense man

but he is big noise in scotland since he has international caps and he is irish

extra pressure so I think he trying to do stuff he not got talent for but his head swelled thinking scotland will be easy

who knows for sure

but he is a good defender just not used to the pressure plus the exposed non supported style we demand of CBs before we throw them under the bus :p:p:p:p:p:p

Decent points TET.

Probably the worst thing that happened to him was scoring a couple of goals as soon as he arrived. He must've contemplated wearing slippers after that when taking the field.

One thing that I can't understand is the insane loan fee (plus whatever wages we're paying him) for a defender that can't get a game for a pile of shite Brighton team? That bit's got me puzzled big time.

Is it just because he's an Irish, Celtic supporting player, attached to an EPL club?

Do we think that little of our own game in Scotland that we don't even bother scouting a player properly as long as he ticks all those aforementioned boxes?

Serious question here : Does anyone know if we can send him back down the road in January?

Decent points TET.

Probably the worst thing that happened to him was scoring a couple of goals as soon as he arrived. He must've contemplated wearing slippers after that when taking the field.

One thing that I can't understand is the insane loan fee (plus whatever wages we're paying him) for a defender that can't get a game for a pile of shite Brighton team? That bit's got me puzzled big time.

Is it just because he's an Irish, Celtic supporting player, attached to an EPL club?

Do we think that little of our own game in Scotland that we don't even bother scouting a player properly as long as he ticks all those aforementioned boxes?

Serious question here : Does anyone know if we can send him back down the road in January?
I think he is good enough to play for celtic

But I suspect its much harder than he imagined on big wages in epl

he also had epl level defenders surrounding him

plus a system he suited

he also just played two Europa League ko level sides after couple internationals

plus he might no have settled in to new gaff properly

he was dire last two games

but I dont think we can write him off as garbage just yet.

our whole defence is bit of joke at moment and they dont get much support in our system

Jack Henry was good player but we overexposed him and he crashed

I suspect that if we had a Maldini type available our system would expose him as well

And we would blame him rather than fix the system

My Facebook just reminded me of a memory post from 23rd October 2012 - we took the lead in Barcelona in the Champions League and were very unlucky to concede an injury time winner to lose 2-1. How times have changed!
It sure has BB. Football has evolved so much since then that what used to be mediocre teams in Europe, they suddenly became stronger and now their are no guarantees of beating these sides. I remember we played Kokola Finland in European Cup won 14 nil on aggregate. Wouldn't happen now BB.

Well, my plan to watch my first game since a troubled childhood sober, lasted right up until the game started. We started quite brightly, well compared to our recent form anyway, then kind of fizzled out to let Milan take control. As far as I see it, Lenny picking players to hold the line rather than attack theirs, has been our major issue, closely followed by a defence that has a glaring weakness in it, Duffy. I will get back to him later. At half time, I know every Celtic fan alive was begging Lennon to change it, after the game and during it, he was being given credit for that, which I found hard to stomach, he shouldn't have had to change it because he should have realised that what he was doing was fucking us up, but, he stubbornly kept it going. So, him taking so long to see fucking sense is no reason to celebrate or give him plaudits. I can only hope he sees he made a cunt of it and stops.

As soon as we brought on players that can get at teams we immediately looked better, not great, lets not get carried away, but much better, compared to the shit we have had to endure. Broony cannot start most games if we want to give this 10 a real go, it pains me to say that, but he was nowhere last night. I thought Diego showed more fight and determination in the first half than the rest of them put together, which was a real worry, he continued to be excellent until being taken off and I am happy we got the lad. Bg Ajer was excellent , showing how to come out of the defence with the bald pass well. If he was trying to get a move to Milan he done himself proud and the price went up for us. Frimpong was good at getting by plays but needs to practice his final ball as all his good work is undone by passing thats piss poor.

When Rogic came on, he I hope, showed all the who wanted him to leave that they were talking shite. He was brilliant and can create things out of fuck all. He needs to play on Sunday. I know he has fitness issues, but rotating him with Turnbull needs to be done. Ntcham played better, but again this was against a benchmark of utter pish, so again, lets not get carried away. Ajeti and Griff were poor and posed little to no threatened we need Eddy back asap tolled with either of them backing him up.

Defensively for all the goals we were abysmal, Duffy was again piss poor, he is slow, fails to read and follow the players he's supposed to mark and cannot come out of defence with the ball without me reaching for the valium. His passing is also poor and elects to pass it back or sideways, when he does attempts forward pass more often than not it goes to them and caused us a few hairy moments. For me, he needs dropped and Julien back in with Ajer in a 4. I don't give a single fuck what we are paying him, whatever it is, it is too much for what he brings. I said yesterday I am just happy we didn't buy him, because unless he improves vastly, for me he is a threat to our season as he will cause problems with his lack of speed etc.

I was a lot happier with the second half showing, but again, it wasn't top notch but it was better and something to build on, if Lenny stops fucking us up by playing holding rather than offensive midfielders. Christie, Turnbull, Rogic, Calmac, Soro Ntcham need to be the main group who play in midfield, and who gets the jersey is dependent upon turning it on. Even if they play well, bringing on another good player at 60 minutes gives us more energy to keep the tempo up throughout.

I am now not as worried about Sunday and indeed the rest of the games coming up,I don't think we will qualify from this group unless the second half performance goes up several notches, but at least now Lenny has to see what every cunt and their aunty have for weeks. It was painful losing the third, but thats what happens when you have a CB who isn't up to it. And Duffy so far, just insn't. I hope he improves as he seems a good lad, but my sons are good lads and they know they would get chased down London Rd if they put in a performance like that, so, he needs dropped until he comes good for the sake of our season. Barkas I find too slow in reacting to releasing the ball and Iam still not convinced he is a shot stopper. Unlike the midfield we don't have a supply of genuine quality cover, so I hope he improves Bain is back in and its £5m down the fucking toilet.

Back to the drink. I had decided to watch it without one, 35 minutes in I was on my third double gin. Ended up having four so thats practically teetotal. The main thing I am feeling is that we can see the corner, we haven't turned it yet, you can't lose three goals like that and be anywhere near it. Sort the defence, play offensive midfield players who can find a pass and pose a goal threat needs to be the way. Soro for me has to replace Brown as the holding player, he is technically better than Brown and can make pass forward. Turnbull too needs introduced as he showed he has what it takes when he got more than six minutes. I am happier we have now seen we can get better if Lenny stops fucking about. Onward to the Dons and hopefully skelp they fuckers purple. HH

Last edited:
It sure has BB. Football has evolved so much since then that what used to be mediocre teams in Europe, they suddenly became stronger and now their are no guarantees of beating these sides. I remember we played Kokola Finland in European Cup won 14 nil on aggregate. Wouldn't happen now BB.
It has evolved but not always for the better (cue grumpy auld man rant). In the past a lot of very good teams had 3 or 4 excellent players and the rest were good. Now all of those excellent players that used to be scattered around dozens of teams have been stockpiled into a few super-duper "elite" (rich) teams, often kicking their heels and not even getting onto the bench.

The very small teams are at least a lot fitter these days and better organised in defence. Instead of trying to compete they just park the bus for 90 minutes.

Usually the only massive scores you see these days are when a club who is used to being the dominant one gets caught out and concede goals then try to force chances and get sliced apart on the break (think of our maulings against PSF & Barca, Barca being thrashed in the Champions League and even Liverpool, Man City & Man Utd getting gubbed in their recent league games).

Laxalt's performance last night

- 6 dribbles (Milan only competed 9 as a team)
- 6 tackles (game high)
- 4 interceptions (only bettered by Dalot at fullback)
- 85% pass acc (+1KP)
He is definitely a good player. I think we tried to bring him in last summer but the deal fell through. OK - he's maybe no Boli Bolingoli (thank feck) but he would have made us even better.

I'd still be tempted to start him left side of midfield in a 4-4-2 with Taylor behind him against these better sides - we can always change it up later on if needed with 1 of the 5 subs.

Well, my plan to watch my first game since a troubled childhood sober, lasted right up until the game started. We started quite brightly, well compared to our recent form anyway, then kind of fizzled out to let Milan take control. As far as I see it, Lenny picking players to hold the line rather than attack theirs, has been our major issue, closely followed by a defence that has a glaring weakness in it, Duffy. I will get back to him later. At half time, I know every Celtic fan alive was begging Lennon to change it, after the game and during it, he was being given credit for that, which I found hard to stomach, he shouldn't have had to change it because he should have realised that what he was doing was fucking us up, but, he stubbornly kept it going. So, him taking so long to see fucking sense is no reason to celebrate or give him plaudits. I can only hope he sees he made a cunt of it and stops.

As soon as we brought on players that can get at teams we immediately looked better, not great, lets not get carried away, but much better, compared to the shit we have had to endure. Broony cannot start most games if we want to give this 10 a real go, it pains me to say that, but he was nowhere last night. I thought Diego showed more fight and determination in the first half than the rest of them put together, which was a real worry, he continued to be excellent until being taken off and I am happy we got the lad. Bg Ajer was excellent , showing how to come out of the defence with the bald pass well. If he was trying to get a move to Milan he done himself proud and the price went up for us. Frimpong was good at getting by plays but needs to practice his final ball as all his good work is undone by passing thats piss poor.

When Rogic came on, he I hope, showed all the who wanted him to leave that they were talking shite. He was brilliant and can create things out of fuck all. He needs to play on Sunday. I know he has fitness issues, but rotating him with Turnbull needs to be done. Ntcham played better, but again this was against a benchmark of utter pish, so again, lets not get carried away. Ajeti and Griff were poor and posed little to no threatened we need Eddy back asap tolled with either of them backing him up.

Defensively for all the goals we were abysmal, Duffy was again piss poor, he is slow, fails to read and follow the players he's supposed to mark and cannot come out of defence with the ball without me reaching for the valium. His passing is also poor and elects to pass it back or sideways, when he does attempts forward pass more often than not it goes to them and caused us a few hairy moments. For me, he needs dropped and Julien back in with Ajer in a 4. I don't give a single fuck what we are paying him, whatever it is, it is too much for what he brings. I said yesterday I am just happy we didn't buy him, because unless he improves vastly, for me he is a threat to our season as he will cause problems with his lack of speed etc.

I was a lot happier with the second half showing, but again, it wasn't top notch but it was better and something to build on, if Lenny stops fucking us up by playing holding rather than offensive midfielders. Christie, Turnbull, Rogic, Calmac, Soro Ntcham need to be the main group who play in midfield, and who gets the jersey is dependent upon turning it on. Even if they play well, bringing on another good player at 60 minutes gives us more energy to keep the tempo up throughout.

I am now not as worried about Sunday and indeed the rest of the games coming up,I don't think we will qualify from this group unless the second half performance goes up several notches, but at least now Lenny has to see what every cunt and their aunty have for weeks. It was painful losing the third, but thats what happens when you have a CB who isn't up to it. And Duffy so far, just insn't. I hope he improves as he seems a good lad, but my sons are good lads and they know they would get chased down London Rd if they put in a performance like that, so, he needs dropped until he comes good for the sake of our season. Barkas I find too slow in reacting to releasing the ball and Iam still not convinced he is a shot stopper. Unlike the midfield we don't have a supply of genuine quality cover, so I hope he improves Bain is back in and its £5m down the fucking toilet.

Back to the drink. I had decided to watch it without one, 35 minutes in I was on my third double gin. Ended up having four so thats practically teetotal. The main thing I am feeling is that we can see the corner, we haven't turned it yet, you can't lose three goals like that and be anywhere near it. Sort the defence, play offensive midfield players who can find a pass and pose a goal threat needs to be the way. Soro for me has to replace Brown as the holding player, he is technically better than Brown and can make pass forward. Turnbull too needs introduced as he showed he has what it takes when he got more than six minutes. I am happier we have now seen we can get better if Lenny stops fucking about. Onward to the Dons and hopefully skelp they fuckers purple. HH
I just read that Lennon "is vowing to ignore the "hysteria" over Celtic's form". Will that be 3-5-2 again on Sunday then?

People might not like this but Broony for me is done and only slows down our play.Was happy to see us moving the ball a lot quicker last night ,shame we never played like that last Saturday because i reckon we wouldve seen a different outcome.As for Shane Duffy sorry big Jullien in front of him all day long .

Back