Celtic v hamilton thread

Taylor isn't a wing-back, neither is Frimpong.

We keep asking them to play these roles which they are not suited to and because of that Taylor is coming in for criticism now and Frimpong will be next when his lack of defensive ability eventually catches up with him.

Both players are being stretched here because the management want to play a particular system in order to accommodate other players in the starting 11.

Taylor is a LB but is being asked to get down the flanks and launch crosses into the box, Frimpong is a winger but is being asked to drop back and defend, that's not their game and trying to crowbar them into these roles is unfair. It's just as ridiculous as asking CalMac to play at LB.

Let them do what they're good at and they will flourish, keep trying to make them into what they're not and we'll ruin them.
Agree Taylor looks more comfortable in a back four so we need an alternative assuming Boli is off but we can try an work on him. As for Frimpong, he's clearly not had enough at City for them to class him as a winger-as in goal threat- or as a defender as too short. If we want the best of him we need to nail down a position and coach his weaknesses. We don't buy the finished article often these days, thats where we either coach it or call it quits (like Boli)

I've said this many times, I never agreed with the Brendan Rodgers experiment of making Ajer a CB in the first place, in all honesty I hated the idea.

It was borne purely out of our lack of options at the time not because he thought Ajer would be a great CB and I still believe that decision robbed us of a great Centre-Mid and natural successor to Broony.

Big strong player who's strengths would have seen him excel in that area of the pitch while his flaws would not prove as costly.

Ajer has all the qualities to put himself about the middle of the park and boss it in the same way Broony does. He's no shy about getting stuck in and mixing it with the opposition, he'd get in players faces and let them know they're not getting an easy 90 mins, technically he's similar to Broony and he can stride forward with the ball quite menacingly when he wants. All in all a big intimidating Centre-Mid.

I'm not saying he's been a terrible CB, that's not fair, but I think we traded a potentially brilliant Centre-Mid for a Centre-Back with some major flaws to his game.
There is an argument for Ajer at Centre mid, but the stats apparently said (not mine Brendan;s :) that his turning circle wasn't good enough or sharp enough to play defensive mid at our level, hence the drop back to defence. Whether that could have been worked on I dont know. Basically they were saying too cumbersome to play defensive midfield and turned like an oil tanker :ROFLMAO:

Agree Taylor looks more comfortable in a back four so we need an alternative assuming Boli is off but we can try an work on him. As for Frimpong, he's clearly not had enough at City for them to class him as a winger-as in goal threat- or as a defender as too short. If we want the best of him we need to nail down a position and coach his weaknesses. We don't buy the finished article often these days, thats where we either coach it or call it quits (like Boli)
Would love to see Aaron Hickey at left back,then a couple of years down the line when he has bulked out a bit maybe have him in midfield,I think there are a few jobs this boy could do..but we wont get to know the outcome if we dont knock Anne,s door and ask,,how much Anne.

HH.

To be fair NJ I would like to see frimpong pushed futher up the field, give Forrest some competition for his place.
Not slating jamesy by any means but a dearth of competition for that spot.

I think you've got to look at where a player's natural talent lies and coach them into refining that talent and deploying it where it's most effective instead of trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Taylor's natural talent lies in his defensive capabilities yet we're trying to coach him into being more of an attacking threat, Frimpong's natural talent lies in his attacking capabilities yet we're asking him to drop back and defend.

I think both played really well today, Frimpong especially but you could see these bhoys and the team were being unnecessarily stretched at times because of what they were being asked to do and when better teams than Hamilton start exploiting that these bhoys are going to come in for criticism and I think that's unfair on them because they're being asked to perform roles that don't suit their natural game.

After a 5-1 win it seems a bit petty to say this but I thought we looked a bit dodgy at the back today!

Hamilton won the ball in the air when in the box on 4/5 occasions today and had they had strikers that could head the ball we would've been looking at a closer scoreline. How Jullien and Ajer don't win those defensive headers worries me. It's not a problem if we're going to score 5 every game but I remember under Burns when we drew game after game through poor organisation at the back and I'd hate to see that happen in this season of all seasons!

HH

There is an argument for Ajer at Centre mid, but the stats apparently said (not mine Brendan;s :) that his turning circle wasn't good enough or sharp enough to play defensive mid at our level, hence the drop back to defence. Whether that could have been worked on I dont know. Basically they were saying too cumbersome to play defensive midfield and turned like an oil tanker :ROFLMAO:

Aye but Brendan also thought constantly playing it oot from the back and inviting teams onto a shaky defence was tactical genius so.....:whistle:

Turning circle.....is that what Brendan stood on when he was getting his spray tan :ROFLMAO:

After a 5-1 win it seems a bit petty to say this but I thought we looked a bit dodgy at the back today!

Hamilton won the ball in the air when in the box on 4/5 occasions today and had they had strikers that could head the ball we would've been looking at a closer scoreline. How Jullien and Ajer don't win those defensive headers worries me. It's not a problem if we're going to score 5 every game but I remember under Burns when we drew game after game through poor organisation at the back and I'd hate to see that happen in this season of all seasons!

HH
Can't argue mate, dead ball situations into our box give me the Fear, 2 centre halfs 6ft+ and the amount of headers we lost need to get a grip on that.

I must be getting old and soft. I had the option of rising at 3.30 to watch the game live or rising at 6 to watch the replay. With a full day of work I chose the latter option. What a way to start the season. Crisp passing and fast overlaps and excellent crosses, sure we had a few flaws but it's the first game of the season. We lead the league already and that's where we will stay.

I must be getting old and soft. I had the option of rising at 3.30 to watch the game live or rising at 6 to watch the replay. With a full day of work I chose the latter option. What a way to start the season. Crisp passing and fast overlaps and excellent crosses, sure we had a few flaws but it's the first game of the season. We lead the league already and that's where we will stay.
Spot on Doc. Professional performance couple of things need addressed, but overall delighted with Celtic today.

But what do we need to do doc🙈🙈🙈

I like Taylor, he's got the attributes you look for in an attacking left back & I think he'll only get better. He was unlucky with injury at the start of last season, but was impressed with what I seen of him before shutdown.

Boli, move him on NOT CELTIC CLASS.

Frimpong, ffs get some grub in tae the boy & get him on the weights so he can bulk up. Aye, tell him if he gets tackled get fuckin up & stop looking for the foul. Would rather see him push Jamesy for a place at RM, than try & make him a decent RB/RWB.

As for young Hickey at Hearts, Pedro get yer arse doon Gorgie wae a bag of the readies, fuckin pronto.

☘️COYBIG☘️HAIL HAIL☘️YNWA 10INA ROW☘️

Members online

Latest posts

Back