Celtic v hamilton thread

I think with Hickey there is no position yet. Left back/wing back or further forward and can do the same on the right. Once he fills out he could be a defensive mid or a box to box midfielder. We need to get this guy nailed down. At 1.5 million he's a utility player to replace Hayes with the potential to be anything he wants to be.
With 1.5 million there's no risk in it. As you said mate he can be what he wants to be. What do you do with Boli then? Do you keep coaching/develop or get a very good 2nd LB in?

Got to say I was never a fan of Bitton as a Centre-Mid (great passer and had good positional sense but thought he lacked a turn of pace, wasn't combatant enough and was just too laid back a player for that area of the park) was a bit confused about what position he was suited to tbh but I actually quite like him as a Centre Back.

Think his passing, positional sense and non-combatant style works for him in the CB role. Never seems to get caught out of position, never seems to lunge in with a rash challenge and his passing ability allows us to get the ball out from the back really well.

Probably gonnae get caned for this but I actually prefer him to Ajer as a CB.
Think i prefer anybody to Ajer as a centre back, particularly someone who has a left foot! tin hat oan! 🍺 🥳

With 1.5 million there's no risk in it. As you said mate he can be what he wants to be. What do you do with Boli then? Do you keep coaching/develop or get a very good 2nd LB in?
Think they've decided pal. Boli burned his bridges with his taxi from Killie when not in match squad. He has the ability but I think the trust has gone. He might well get a chance at redemption we know how things work out sometimes, but doubtful.
David Colina seems the target, though we'll need to up the bid.
I know Taylor isn't everyone's cup of tea but he's learning and he wants it. there is a hunger there and Moi seems to link well with him. Persevere with Taylor if we play a back 4. We may need a wing back if we flit between a 3 and a 4 at the back though.
That said, what a team, what a squad. This is starting to feel like just the start. Mad!

Today showed once again wee Frimpong is wasted as a RB/WB.

He's a winger all day long as far as I'm concerned. He was an absolute menace with his attacking play again today, his pace, his cutting in and his ability to take players on/go round players had the Hamilton players in knots.

I don't think he's suited to a defensive role as he's too slight and it's just not in his make up as a player but as a winger I think this bhoy could be a superstar. For me he needs to be let off the leash as an out and out winger to get the best out of him.

Got to say I was never a fan of Bitton as a Centre-Mid (great passer and had good positional sense but thought he lacked a turn of pace, wasn't combatant enough and was just too laid back a player for that area of the park) was a bit confused about what position he was suited to tbh but I actually quite like him as a Centre Back.

Think his passing, positional sense and non-combatant style works for him in the CB role. Never seems to get caught out of position, never seems to lunge in with a rash challenge and his passing ability allows us to get the ball out from the back really well.

Probably gonnae get caned for this but I actually prefer him to Ajer as a CB.
Would be interesting to see Big Nir play behind Ajer playing as a defensive or even central midfielder. Teams fuckin shite themselves when Big Chris runs at them but how much would we amplify the fear if the opposition knew that instead of a potentially-exploitable gap there was a dependable rock in the wake of the Ajer advance.

I think with Hickey there is no position yet. Left back/wing back or further forward and can do the same on the right. Once he fills out he could be a defensive mid or a box to box midfielder. We need to get this guy nailed down. At 1.5 million he's a utility player to replace Hayes with the potential to be anything he wants to be.
I think we have a sell on with Hickey which would probably make Hertz amenable to a Celtic bid but we'd havta get shot of Boli Boli first methinks 😁😁😁

Think they've decided pal. Boli burned his bridges with his taxi from Killie when not in match squad. He has the ability but I think the trust has gone. He might well get a chance at redemption we know how things work out sometimes, but doubtful.
David Colina seems the target, though we'll need to up the bid.
I know Taylor isn't everyone's cup of tea but he's learning and he wants it. there is a hunger there and Moi seems to link well with him. Persevere with Taylor if we play a back 4. We may need a wing back if we flit between a 3 and a 4 at the back though.
That said, what a team, what a squad. This is starting to feel like just the start. Mad!

Taylor isn't a wing-back, neither is Frimpong.

We keep asking them to play these roles which they are not suited to and because of that Taylor is coming in for criticism now and Frimpong will be next when his lack of defensive ability eventually catches up with him.

Both players are being stretched here because the management want to play a particular system in order to accommodate other players in the starting 11.

Taylor is a LB but is being asked to get down the flanks and launch crosses into the box, Frimpong is a winger but is being asked to drop back and defend, that's not their game and trying to crowbar them into these roles is unfair. It's just as ridiculous as asking CalMac to play at LB.

Let them do what they're good at and they will flourish, keep trying to make them into what they're not and we'll ruin them.

Schteamroller only just came out of the shed today. Imagine when it's up to full gear flattening and devastating all before it. Oh such beautiful, devastating annihilation we will witness. Fear, they've been shitting themselves for years; it's their natural state of mind. But this year they're like the poor, last dregs of the racist monstrosity facing Zhukov's overwhelming superiority on the Seelow Heights. No matter the propaganda their fates are sealed and they know it. Onwards to victory!

Well played today took the goals well thought Hamilton were putting themselves about and they got lucky with their goal only thing that worried me today was that we struggled a bit with their corners.

No doubt those defensive issues will be analysed by management but don't forget we had another International Goalkeeper observing the game today. He will have his approach to how he organises a defense for corners and we can only get better.

Think i prefer anybody to Ajer as a centre back, particularly someone who has a left foot! tin hat oan! 🍺 🥳

Especially in a back 3. Great player. wasted there

Would be interesting to see Big Nir play behind Ajer playing as a defensive or even central midfielder. Teams fuckin shite themselves when Big Chris runs at them but how much would we amplify the fear if the opposition knew that instead of a potentially-exploitable gap there was a dependable rock in the wake of the Ajer advance.

I've said this many times, I never agreed with the Brendan Rodgers experiment of making Ajer a CB in the first place, in all honesty I hated the idea.

It was borne purely out of our lack of options at the time not because he thought Ajer would be a great CB and I still believe that decision robbed us of a great Centre-Mid and natural successor to Broony.

Big strong player who's strengths would have seen him excel in that area of the pitch while his flaws would not prove as costly.

Ajer has all the qualities to put himself about the middle of the park and boss it in the same way Broony does. He's no shy about getting stuck in and mixing it with the opposition, he'd get in players faces and let them know they're not getting an easy 90 mins, technically he's similar to Broony and he can stride forward with the ball quite menacingly when he wants. All in all a big intimidating Centre-Mid.

I'm not saying he's been a terrible CB, that's not fair, but I think we traded a potentially brilliant Centre-Mid for a Centre-Back with some major flaws to his game.

Latest posts

Back