Celtic v Lyon match thread, all posts in here....

Indeed mate. Think he gives us such balance and pace of mind when he's on the back row. Not crazy with Ajer getting in front of him for RB despite Lenny toying with the 3-5-2 formation. Like how they are playing Frimers high up the park think that's a position for him to make his own. Competition for Forrest too.
Think we are caught between two formations at the moment, without the personnel to cover both. Need a left sided centre half to play a back 3. And if we play a back four we need height along the backline. Our best two full backs are short, as is our new DM. We have two formations there that can work, but we need height at DM to allow Frimpong and taylor to play wide. Nearly there for both formations, but we'll need to open the chequebokk. Not for a lot. Just for a keeper and a tall left back who can also play wide on a defensive 3.

TBH I worry bout when fringpong and Taylor play like both but set pieces leave us well short height wise and we’re a bit soft at set pieces to begin with

That's not a bad shout. However, we'd decent sized players on the back row and the cross ball head for Dembele wasn't dealt with no one jumped to stick their head on it, no one standing face on picking up jerseys. I'm also not confident with Bain at cross balls I know he's been out for a long time but doesnt command his area or instruct the game when he's got the best view of the play in front of him.

That's not a bad shout. However, we'd decent sized players on the back row and the cross ball head for Dembele wasn't dealt with no one jumped to stick their head on it, no one standing face on picking up jerseys. I'm also not confident with Bain at cross balls I know he's been out for a long time but doesnt command his area or instruct the game when he's got the best view of the play in front of him.
A goalkeeper instills confidence in a backline. Bain is a fine number two but if we want to prorgres(pardon the pun watching huns) in Europe, a keeper who allows defenders freedom to make their mistakes is imperitive

Think we are caught between two formations at the moment, without the personnel to cover both. Need a left sided centre half to play a back 3. And if we play a back four we need height along the backline. Our best two full backs are short, as is our new DM. We have two formations there that can work, but we need height at DM to allow Frimpong and taylor to play wide. Nearly there for both formations, but we'll need to open the chequebokk. Not for a lot. Just for a keeper and a tall left back who can also play wide on a defensive 3.

Spot on, indeed. I don't think Celtic of our club like before we'd tough and rough players. Strong and would clatter for the jersey. I feel our team of today are a small, robust, athletic team. I think we do need to complement this one or two heavy hitters to take the clatters when required. One thing I can take away today was our first and second eleven have so much gas in the tank. Full or running, I've never seen the players stop once on the park. That's all down to Lenny.

Not only the cheque book but there's players that can easily be sold or freed to allow some fresh blood in. I'm not hanging the Griff out but it's team he's the first of the cull. We need to be ruthless for the 10

A goalkeeper instills confidence in a backline. Bain is a fine number two but if we want to prorgres(pardon the pun watching huns) in Europe, a keeper who allows defenders freedom to make their mistakes is imperitive
Agreed. Covid market isn't helping us much. Some of the players being noted with us like Marshall and Haldky hit me like a bottle of irn bru. Leaves you cold when all you want is Forster..

Spot on, indeed. I don't think Celtic of our club like before we'd tough and rough players. Strong and would clatter for the jersey. I feel our team of today are a small, robust, athletic team. I think we do need to complement this one or two heavy hitters to take the clatters when required. One thing I can take away today was our first and second eleven have so much gas in the tank. Full or running, I've never seen the players stop once on the park. That's all down to Lenny.

Not only the cheque book but there's players that can easily be sold or freed to allow some fresh blood in. I'm not hanging the Griff out but it's team he's the first of the cull. We need to be ruthless for the 10
Griff is on his last chance. he knows it. Thats the way he likes it. he'll respond I'm certain of it. Klimala and lenny's words can make or break him. I think he responds well to a challenge. At least he has before. It is down to him now

Griff is on his last chance. he knows it. Thats the way he likes it. he'll respond I'm certain of it. Klimala and lenny's words can make or break him. I think he responds well to a challenge. At least he has before. It is down to him now
Indeed mate. I also really enjoyed Sutton's piece in the paper on him. It's very much indeed all down to him. It's one thing beating your chest and shouting "I'm the man" it's another reaching the Larsson/Eddy heights. It's a constant cycle of evolution.

Just fished watching the game, here's my take on it.

Lennon shouts 'Soro' for a full 90mins.

Terrible start
and our 2nd team did well to recover and not lose their head to what was a very, very experienced team in Lyon.
Celtic couldn't put any meaningful passes together to produce any type of attacking pressure so attacks were sporadic (Complete opposite for Lyon).
No real standouts in the first 60mins - maybe Al Hamed and Biton.
Disappointed in Ntcham and espically Karamoko
(he needs loaned out asap).
Reading all the comments in regards Boli 'the new whipping boy' Goli he'll be hounded out the club.
Depay goal - brilliant.

60 mins aand 1st team comes on (2-0 Down):
Instant change in performance - actually held and passed the ball in the opposition half.
An attacking threat by both teams now.
Pong and Forrest played better together than against Nice.
Great finish by Elyounoussi, an exact replication of Dolberg's goal for Nice against us ( Dolberg who I thought was their best player).
McGregor got boo'd every time he had the ball (because he was the best player on the pitch???).
Bain - didn't have a lot to do (picked the ball out the net twice) but other than that....did nothing wrong. Maybe, if we didn't have the Wall last season fans wouldn't be so critical (I think same goes for Boli /Tierney).

The new Addidas top :love:

Overall a good work out - and No injuries.

Just fished watching the game, here's my take on it.

Lennon shouts 'Soro' for a full 90mins.

Terrible start
and our 2nd team did well to recover and not lose their head to what was a very, very experienced team in Lyon.
Celtic couldn't put any meaningful passes together to produce any type of attacking pressure so attacks were sporadic (Complete opposite for Lyon).
No real standouts in the first 60mins - maybe Al Hamed and Biton.
Disappointed in Ntcham and espically Karamoko
(he needs loaned out asap).
Reading all the comments in regards Boli 'the new whipping boy' Goli he'll be hounded out the club.
Depay goal - brilliant.

60 mins aand 1st team comes on (2-0 Down):
Instant change in performance - actually held and passed the ball in the opposition half.
An attacking threat by both teams now.
Pong and Forrest played better together than against Nice.
Great finish by Elyounoussi, an exact replication of Dolberg's goal for Nice against us ( Dolberg who I thought was their best player).
McGregor got boo'd every time he had the ball (because he was the best player on the pitch???).
Bain - didn't have a lot to do (picked the ball out the net twice) but other than that....did nothing wrong. Maybe, if we didn't have the Wall last season fans wouldn't be so critical (I think same goes for Boli /Tierney).

The new Addidas top :love:

Overall a good work out - and No injuries.
Great summation CR,bhoys against men first 60 minutes, ElHamed and Bitton outstanding.... but some of our development players are not ready,the jury seems to be out on Bolingoli,which has obviously done wonders for his confidence!,big difference when the A team came on! we won the second half!

Members online

Back