Celtic v Lyon match thread, all posts in here....

Showed me that almost the whole second string just aren't ready to make the step up. The positioning of welsh was questionable about 4 or 5 times on their attacks .never seen anything from Robertson and young dembele to make me think they should be near the 1st team anytime soon. Boli,forget it,a few of them need to go out on loan for a season, see if they can improve enough for another bite at it next season. Need a top class keeper and bain as number 2.El hamed and bitton the only 2 class acts in starting 11 but bitton should still be in midfield .soro showed plenty of graft but a bit of guile widnae go amiss. Gave away far too much possession wi loose passes all over the pitch. Last half hour,night and day and should be a warning to the rest of where they need to be.chequebook required rapidly for a new keeper. Lbs,and striker HH

Lee Naylor was a far better fullback!

When I read the comment Boli was better than Lee Naylor, I immediately understood the worlds problem with Covid. A complete failure to gauge reality. Naylor could defend. Boli cannot. Naylor didnt continually give the ball away trying forward passes. He wasn't continuallycaught out of position, creating an empty channel for exploutation.. Naylor didnt leave me continually hooked up to a defibrillator when watching a game.

Whatever position is best suited to Boli, it isn't a LB. Does he show some nice technical touches? Yes he does. But, thats not enough. It's not nearly enough. The bottom line is we have improved defensively under Lennon, but his decision to sign Boli was a gaffe.

Showed me that almost the whole second string just aren't ready to make the step up. The positioning of welsh was questionable about 4 or 5 times on their attacks .never seen anything from Robertson and young dembele to make me think they should be near the 1st team anytime soon. Boli,forget it,a few of them need to go out on loan for a season, see if they can improve enough for another bite at it next season. Need a top class keeper and bain as number 2.El hamed and bitton the only 2 class acts in starting 11 but bitton should still be in midfield .soro showed plenty of graft but a bit of guile widnae go amiss. Gave away far too much possession wi loose passes all over the pitch. Last half hour,night and day and should be a warning to the rest of where they need to be.chequebook required rapidly for a new keeper. Lbs,and striker HH
And another couple of centre backs. All the players we have let go and not one has been replaced. Are we waiting for the January sales?

Bolingoli is a wing back who struggles positionally when playing left back. When we played with wing backs last season he didn’t get a chance, instead we played Taylor who is a good full back who struggles as a wing back. Play them in their best position, it’s not rockets science.
Hopefully we go 3-5-2 on Tuesday v PSG, and play Boli at LWB

Bellshill Bhoy -thanks for starting the match thread for this one. Weather was lovely in Lyon yesterday!

The PSG decision that gives full strength Celtic a real chance at the Parc des Princes...

It’s hard to tell with the youngsters, Lenny, pretty much played all the reserves/ development squad together, Might have been better, 1/2 first team, 1/2 reserves, think we need to find out if they can gel with the 1st team🤔
I never saw the game but I agree with what you are saying. It is normal when a near full reserve/inexperienced team is put together to struggle when faced with a full strength quality side. It is much fairer to judge them when only 2 or 3 are integrated into your normal starting side.

That, coupled with the fact it is a just an early pre-season friendly after the longest layoff these players have ever experienced means we shouldn't be overly critical or judgemental about the youngsters on this particular showing.

What we got out of the two games was a look at most of our squad who are wanting a place in the team or bench. I'd not be too critical about any Celtic player in particular. It's easy to write someone off with a few withering epithets. When they wear the hoops I support them. Not every pass goes perfectly. Some tackles fail. Players make mistakes. But we crave perfection. For 60 minutes we played an entire reserve team against a Lyon side that are in the last 16 of the CL and 1-0 up on Juventus already. That level of opponent is not available in Scotland. That's the benefit we gained. Some of those young lads will stake their place in the team soon.

Can you write off any of the youngsters from the 2 games we have had in France? Absolutely not.

Lennon played 2 teams; 1 that he will probably start the 1st competitive game the other made up of back up and youngsters.

Any one of the back up or youngsters could slot into the 1st team and be relatively seemless with the other 10 1st team players.

The problem with fans is that we're too quick to get on players backs - If one of our 1st team gets injured and we have to go to the back up and youngers with their confidence already shot before they start - prime example is Bolingoli. Taylor I think is Lennon's pick for the position, but if he gets injured then it's Boli ---- and he wont get any better if he gets blasted for every mistake. Every one of those youngster and back up players made mistakes against Lyon.....but Boli gets singled out. This needs to stop.

Can you write off any of the youngsters from the 2 games we have had in France? Absolutely not.

Lennon played 2 teams; 1 that he will probably start the 1st competitive game the other made up of back up and youngsters.

Any one of the back up or youngsters could slot into the 1st team and be relatively seemless with the other 10 1st team players.

The problem with fans is that we're too quick to get on players backs - If one of our 1st team gets injured and we have to go to the back up and youngers with their confidence already shot before they start - prime example is Bolingoli. Taylor I think is Lennon's pick for the position, but if he gets injured then it's Boli ---- and he wont get any better if he gets blasted for every mistake. Every one of those youngster and back up players made mistakes against Lyon.....but Boli gets singled out. This needs to stop.
👍👍👍👍👍

Boli is the only one who can stop it by not being a bomb scare. Pretending he can do a job is nuts. We all wish he would but he's not a fucking under ten, he's a grown man and he needs to prove he can do it. So far ye hasnt and that's not anybody's fault but his.

The shirt doesnt shrink. We either believe that or we dont. I do. He needs to sort out his game. End of.

Members online

Latest posts

Back