Celtic v Raith Rovers - League Cup Quarter Final Thursday 23 September, Kick-off 7.45pm - all comments here

Starfelt looks wooden. He just doesn't appear comfortable when he receives a pass. Any pass seems to send him into a mental panic!

I'm calling him Pinnochio, coz I'm positive he's not a real bhoy.
He probably reads social media and knows a lot of fans think hes shite ... theres been a few players who started slow at Celtic and turned into right good players for us ..Scott Brown being one of them.

Big Jock used to say he wouldn't ask a player to do what he wasn't capable of doing. That, to an everyday Joe Bloggs like myself, kinda makes sense. I think a coach has the chance to improve a player if that player has the potential to improve. Conversely, if a player lacks the basics, then all the coaching in the world won't improve him......or her. I'm no coach, but if that mantra was good enough for Jock, it's good enough for me.
Different times Frank and not all for the better in the modern day either imo.
The game has become so technical now that you could make a claim the modern player is over coached and can't express himself out on the pitch as they once did.
You can analyse everything today and can lead to over analysing with so many different opinions on offer and so much coverage available nowadays.
It's like a manager chooses a style and system of play and everyone has to get on board with it, as it's very easy to pinpoint the good and bad of the system after any given game.
Now everybody knows how we are going to play, it becomes easier for teams to set up in a way to stop us, so we are playing more for the big moments in a game.
Every player has there strengths and weekness and best example is in the calmac position and role for the team.
Mccarthy and Soro are both not a calmac type of player yet the system of play remains the same, don't really understand that, if you remain so robotic and rigid in the system of play.
I would have thought a team should be able to set up in a system of play that can change upon the oppersition your facing, if that calls on a chance of formation or personal then so be it, but change doesn't seem to be on the agenda at present, so down to the players of being able to master the masterplan still.

The game has become so technical now that you could make a claim the modern player is over coached and can't express himself out on the pitch as they once did.
You can analyse everything today and can lead to over analysing with so many different opinions on offer and so much coverage available nowadays.
It's like a manager chooses a style and system of play and everyone has to get on board with it, as it's very easy to pinpoint the good and bad of the system after any given game.
Now everybody knows how we are going to play, it becomes easier for teams to set up in a way to stop us, so we are playing more for the big moments in a game.
Every player has there strengths and weekness and best example is in the calmac position and role for the team.
Mccarthy and Soro are both not a calmac type of player yet the system of play remains the same, don't really understand that, if you remain so robotic and rigid in the system of play.
I would have thought a team should be able to set up in a system of play that can change upon the oppersition your facing, if that calls on a chance of formation or personal then so be it, but change doesn't seem to be on the agenda at present, so down to the players of being able to master the masterplan still.
Spot on John. I've been thinking that myself. We need to able to adapt they system to suit the players available. No point in playing Angeball with players not suited to that style. We've lost Calmac and Kyogo, Forrest to injury, Christie, Eddy permanently that's half the team that was so promising earlier in the Season. The team now are just not gelling the same way without the missing players.

Spot on John. I've been thinking that myself. We need to able to adapt they system to suit the players available. No point in playing Angeball with players not suited to that style. We've lost Calmac and Kyogo, Forrest to injury, Christie, Eddy permanently that's half the team that was so promising earlier in the Season. The team now are just not gelling the same way without the missing players.
True brim,
It's like the vast difference between kyogo and Ajeti, nowhere near the same type of player and never will be, yet supporters in general expect the same results.
We still have nowhere near a Christie type of player who was so suited to the new style of play, yet no replacement or even signs of anyone stepping up to fulfil the role either

Totally different times for sure John. Still think the principle is the same though. As for our midfield, point taken. I think if fit McCarthy will play as anchorman with our captain and either Turnbull or Rogic. Both in the same midfield doesn't work for me. Well, at least not consistently.

Totally different times for sure John. Still think the principle is the same though. As for our midfield, point taken. I think if fit McCarthy will play as anchorman with our captain and either Turnbull or Rogic. Both in the same midfield doesn't work for me. Well, at least not consistently.
Not so sure he would Frank, if you can get Mccarthy up to speed to allow calmac to play higher up.
Regardless i still remain unconvinced with the system /formation still, as yes, we have the players to play and improve upon it, but still the main one's out injured to make it very successful still.
So very reliant upon other players to get up to speed and more confident in getting use to it still.
Leading to a lack of depth to be able to play it successfully still.
Early days still I know, but without the cover to get its full potential still, I think we could be over complicating matters, and the next 2 games will give us a much better insight into if it really works for us as a team

Not so sure he would Frank, if you can get Mccarthy up to speed to allow calmac to play higher up.
Regardless i still remain unconvinced with the system /formation still, as yes, we have the players to play and improve upon it, but still the main one's out injured to make it very successful still.
So very reliant upon other players to get up to speed and more confident in getting use to it still.
Leading to a lack of depth to be able to play it successfully still.
Early days still I know, but without the cover to get its full potential still, I think we could be over complicating matters, and the next 2 games will give us a much better insight into if it really works for us as a team
Think we would all agree with most of your points John. Early days, but for me successful teams know how to defend.

Think we would all agree with most of your points John. Early days, but for me successful teams know how to defend.
Agreed Frank, but defending has become a totally different art to days gone by.
In a more procession based game, a defence is judged upon his use of the ball than his tackling ability as your hardly able to make one nowadays.
The laws of the game hardly helps when you can still get sent off for winning a 50 /50 with a follow through, so a tackle needs to be 60/40 in the defenders favour to win it at least.
You can't even breathe on a forward in the area before he's lying on the ground with a mib only to happy to apply the cheating still.
Until the mib's are challenged upon the level of cheating and corruption within the Scottish game then the game not going to improve as European football is proving with Scottish teams in general not able to adapt to the way most other European countries like to try and play the game nowadays.
All the while different rules exist between us and the scum the game in general has little to no chance of improving overall.

Agreed Frank, but defending has become a totally different art to days gone by.
In a more procession based game, a defence is judged upon his use of the ball than his tackling ability as your hardly able to make one nowadays.
The laws of the game hardly helps when you can still get sent off for winning a 50 /50 with a follow through, so a tackle needs to be 60/40 in the defenders favour to win it at least.
You can't even breathe on a forward in the area before he's lying on the ground with a mib only to happy to apply the cheating still.
Until the mib's are challenged upon the level of cheating and corruption within the Scottish game then the game not going to improve as European football is proving with Scottish teams in general not able to adapt to the way most other European countries like to try and play the game nowadays.
All the while different rules exist between us and the scum the game in general has little to no chance of improving overall.
We're a couple of dinosaurs John. I'm definitely with you on the tackling thing. To watch our quiet assassin goin' about his business was a joy to behold. David Hay and his like would be driven from the game these days. Always thought a good solid FAIR tackle was a thing of beauty. The game's the poorer for it.

We're a couple of dinosaurs John. I'm definitely with you on the tackling thing. To watch our quiet assassin goin' about his business was a joy to behold. David Hay and his like would be driven from the game these days. Always thought a good solid FAIR tackle was a thing of beauty. The game's the poorer for it.
Could not agree more some of the legends of the past were past masters at this type of tackle Terry Cooper Bobby Murdoch Tommy Gemmel Billy McNeil Smith of Liverpool Fame none of them went in to hurt just to get the ball then the price of player went up so to protect thier investments this tackle was outlawed nothing to do with the game more to do with money same goes for goalkeepers they are protected beyond belief if a keeper cought the ball on the line changes are he would have been bundled into the net same applies when they went up for a ball old time keepers got off thier line as soon as they got the ball it’s all about the money and we know that talks,even when don’t have any

Could not agree more some of the legends of the past were past masters at this type of tackle Terry Cooper Bobby Murdoch Tommy Gemmel Billy McNeil Smith of Liverpool Fame none of them went in to hurt just to get the ball then the price of player went up so to protect thier investments this tackle was outlawed nothing to do with the game more to do with money same goes for goalkeepers they are protected beyond belief if a keeper cought the ball on the line changes are he would have been bundled into the net same applies when they went up for a ball old time keepers got off thier line as soon as they got the ball it’s all about the money and we know that talks,even when don’t have any
Billy Bremner's idea of taking the knee...

20210924_193411.jpg

Interesting to see how football has changed in the 50+ years I have been playing and watching it. Back then players were numbered 1-11 and lined up in a 2-3-5 formation. Some teams were brilliant, Celtic, Brazil and Ajax come to mind. What changes will happen in the next 50 years? Defence walls all jumping with a player lying on the ground behind is a recent innovation. Liverpool have a throw in coach. We have always been useless at throw ins. No one seems to have a clue what to do. There is no plan for a great throw in. We have no long throwers. is it a learnable skill?
Kyogo might be the smallest centre forward in years we have had. Do we need wingers? How many have been sent off after two yellow cards? if it's a large number then should a yellow card mean a substitution especially in competitions where we have 5 substitution options so that we can finish the game with 11 players? We should never be predictable. How often do we shoot from halfway or further when the keeper is off his line? What is the best strategy for taking and defending a corner? What about taking a penalty by passing it fractionally forward sidewards to an onrushing player expecting it. The keeper would usually have dived on the floor and the goal would be wide open. It just needs practice.

We should be innovators and not followers.

Interesting to see how football has changed in the 50+ years I have been playing and watching it. Back then players were numbered 1-11 and lined up in a 2-3-5 formation. Some teams were brilliant, Celtic, Brazil and Ajax come to mind. What changes will happen in the next 50 years? Defence walls all jumping with a player lying on the ground behind is a recent innovation. Liverpool have a throw in coach. We have always been useless at throw ins. No one seems to have a clue what to do. There is no plan for a great throw in. We have no long throwers. is it a learnable skill?
Kyogo might be the smallest centre forward in years we have had. Do we need wingers? How many have been sent off after two yellow cards? if it's a large number then should a yellow card mean a substitution especially in competitions where we have 5 substitution options so that we can finish the game with 11 players? We should never be predictable. How often do we shoot from halfway or further when the keeper is off his line? What is the best strategy for taking and defending a corner? What about taking a penalty by passing it fractionally forward sidewards to an onrushing player expecting it. The keeper would usually have dived on the floor and the goal would be wide open. It just needs practice.

We should be innovators and not followers.
Heading the ball will be banned shortly, it’s gonna come in the form of a group law suit by players or widows of players that have been affected by brain injuries, happened in the NFL in America now hitting with the helm is now a penalty

You are correct. The old leather balls especially when wet were brain injury objects. The work of Daniel Amen using brain scans have clearly shown that repeated trauma to the head causes dementia, Billy McNeil's dementia is a case in point. The modern ball is different but research is still showing brain damage. FIFA will delay but USA courts will force the banning of headers.

Back