Celtic v Rennes

Enjoyed the game today ,had no interest in the result more interested in watching our game plan and seeing if the new players can gel

First of julien looks a cool player there's a bit of a VVD prescence about him plays with the left and right foot and can ping balls any distance

Connel defo looks a player for that being his debut this guy has got exactly what were looking for and i don't mean a paddy mccourt lookalike

fk what some crayon licker might think this guy is gonna be big

TF the tippy tappy boring play has gone , instead were moving the ball faster from the back stretching the game and look comfortable on the ball doing it

The game was about getting players up to speed and game time , it wasn't about goals ,the team put out today ,all looked comfortable on the ball and looked eager to please the manager

Griff welcome back son you have been sorley missed and looks like your raring to go

Morgan /henderson looked sharp

Ralston folk need to stop making him the fall guy , it's a huge step up from the reserves to the first team and there is a player there , he's being coached by JK so they see something we don't

Lennys did the right thing he's cleared out the dead wood ,brought in quality and changed us back to a team the plays fast attackin football , with a squad who all seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet

the only downside is that shite strip

Last edited by a moderator:
My view of the game.

The game was looked forward to by us all. Obviously most preferred to stream it illegally as the stadium

resembled the inside of a Hermits address book. Nonetheless, It would be a chance to see Luca and Julien and also see if our younger players could step up against better opposition than they faced on tour and received many plaudits for.

The game started well, with Griffiths looking sharp and in the mood. Early doors young Morgan looked up for it too. Younger Luca looked too eager and his passing was way off. It’s not just the Sevconians on the record who noticed it. What they failed to acknowledge was his willingness to try these type of passes. He will get there. And did improve as he calmed down.

After the first flurry of Griffiths this wasn’t maintained, not because Griff faded, it was due to the midfield failing to control the game and when they did have the ball, the service forward was piss poor.

Crosses into the box were nowhere to cause them problems. Not a single clear cut chance was created in the first half. Or if we did, I must have nodded off and missed it. At the back, Julien looked initially a bit rusty as is expected, he nearly caused a goal for them early second half, but his eye for a pass is clearly there and his positional sense improved as the game went on.

Hayes and Ralston at FB as always gave their all, but that isn’t enough and again their passing was poor in the main. Neither will do as full back. With Hayes not good enough in his preferred position him being back up LB worries me. Ralston just doesn’t have it, as brave as he us. I wish he was, but as yet he hasn’t been able to up his game. I feel he needs games and should be loaned out to see if he can improve.

First half fizzled out with Rennes in control but causing little trouble.

Second half was more of the same. Lack of movement, passes sideways and back with less penetration than in a Christian movie.

Felt for Griff as he was getting zero quality to feed on.

Until Calmac came on we lacked tempo and anybody prepared to take a player on and end it with an accurate pass.

I always feel these games are important, not for what they mean, more for any young player to set down a marker for the manager and apart from Henderson, who also disappeared for spells, none took that opportunity.

It’s easy to look good against pub teams. As I said Rennes are a decent outfit and for me we looked sluggish. It’s early in the season I hear you scream. Yes it is, but this is the only chance young players will get to stake a claim. They failed to show they have enough to secure a place in the team. That’s a pisser.

Pluses.

Morgan

Henderson

Julien, after a few wobbles.

Luca, passing was shit initially, but he got better and found a few good ones.

Griff, poor guy was left talking to the grass in French.

Reinforces the need to buy in quality.

Minuses.

I’ve mentioned them.

Plus, the thing that ruined the game most.

Step forward CelticTV and the utter fucking atrocious co commentators, who never shut up, talk for minutes at a time about fuck all, and NEVER FUCKING SHUT UP. Jesus Christ I ended up having to mute today’s guy. Utterly boring.

Does every boring, monotoned cunt, working at The View get a shot at it? Imagine sharing an office with them? Day in, day out?

I’m getting drunk now. It’s Saturday and I need to banish the thought of working with the View Co Comatose team.

What do you think of this guy
Player in the 3.5 mill bracket who rips it up for fun, we need a new Lubo to bring the young ones on.

15 Michael Krmenčík
FC Viktoria Plzeň
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/michael-krmencik/profil/spieler/178469

I would not put him out, i would persevere with the lad and let him know the team are behind him, igf he has it it will click, packing suitcases for a second loan spell might shatter his confidence, he needs his confidence restored, he needs to be told the place is his and work on it.

I hear you but Lenny himself said he needed two RB’s. Anthony won’t get a game. He needs games, that’s the o oh thing that will raise his game game. Not people telling him he’s great then leaving him out of the squad.

He needs to play. He won’t play with us. It’s better for him. That’s what is the most important thing.

I love the lad. His spirit, his fight, he was the only player at Ibrox who fucking got tore in. But, that’s not enough. Let him play, he comes back better and nobody will be happier than me.

The Daily Reekord had a negative thing saying Connell looked off the pace of the game and 'lightweight'. I thought, like you, he looked good on the ball and was always willing to pick out a pass. A good debut for someone who obviously isn't fully match fit. I make many predictions and almost all of them turn out to be hilariously wrong, but I think in Connell we've got a cracker. I dunno what it is about him, but I love his confidence, his personality (seems like a lovely young laddie) and I think he's going to get stuck right into whatever opportunities he gets. The kind of player who will excel against Sevco if given a chance.
Watching him reminded me of McGregor when he got into the first team

Enjoyed the game today ,had no interest in the result more interested in watching our game plan and seeing if the new players can gel

First of julien looks a cool player there's a bit of a VVD prescence about him plays with and right foot and can ping balls any distance

Connel defo looks a player for that being his debut this guy has got exactly what were looking for and i don't mean a paddy mccourt lookalike

fk what some crayon licker might think this guy is gonna be big

TF the tippy tappy boring play has gone , instead were moving the ball faster from the back stretching the game and look comfortable on the ball doing it

The game was about getting players up to speed and game time , it wasn't about goals ,the team put out today ,all looked comfortable on the ball and looked eager to please the manager

Griff welcome back son you have been sorley missed and looks like your raring to go

Morgan /henderson looked sharp

Ralston folk need to stop making him the fall guy , it's a huge step up from the reserves to the first team and there is a player there , he's being coached by JK so they see something we don't

Lennys did the right thing he's cleared out the dead wood ,brought in quality and changed us back to a team the plays fast attackin football , with a squad who all seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet

the only downside is that shite strip
Agree 100% Kelly
COYBIG

No but we should be looking at guys like this.

Who knows? We know Peter looks in here to see what I’m saying about him. Hopefully he will look at that and buy him. If that happens it’s all down to you Boab, employ you as a scout ffs!

Come on Peter, we are coming on leaps and bounds. You keep up buying quality and we will be engaged by September.

The Daily Reekord had a negative thing saying Connell looked off the pace of the game and 'lightweight'. I thought, like you, he looked good on the ball and was always willing to pick out a pass. A good debut for someone who obviously isn't fully match fit. I make many predictions and almost all of them turn out to be hilariously wrong, but I think in Connell we've got a cracker. I dunno what it is about him, but I love his confidence, his personality (seems like a lovely young laddie) and I think he's going to get stuck right into whatever opportunities he gets. The kind of player who will excel against Sevco if given a chance.
(y) Of course he's lightweight. I'd have blown over in a hard breeze at 18. Off the pace? in his first start. No way! hang the wee man. Lazy as hell journalism that. If you judge anyone fully on that game yer a tool simple as that

I remember the first game I took my three sons to, when they were young and really annoying.

It was a bitter night midweek game and the rain lashed from every angle known to science, and a few yet to be classified. If I recall it was late July.

It was in the family section of the main stand, and I got there early to avoid the rush. I needn’t have bothered, as the crowd was sparser than the queue at a bar frequented by misers. Or Aberdeen fans.

Anyway, time went on and we watched the players warm up. Whose that dad? What’s his name? What position does he play? Why is the rain making me blind? That kind of vibe.

About a minute before the players came on, in fact they were heading out the tunnel. My youngest tugged my sleeve and asked.

“Dad, can we go home now?

I should have listened to the wee fanny, the game was murder, we were all soaked and the game itself might be in a corner of my mind somewhere, but unless your name is Indiana Jones, you’ve no chance of finding it.

A great day, a great laugh and to be honest, frostbite and hypothermia aren’t that bad. Who really needs ten toes and two thumbs? Snowflakes!

Back