Celtic v West Ham, Saturday 24th July, Celtic Park

That's a very common dinner here. Infact its my daughter's favourite.
I remember back packing around Australia years ago with my now wife. I told her before we went, I'm not livin on beans on toast or fuckin pot noodles. One night we were staying in a hostel beside Ayers rock. I went to the local shop and got a pound of minced a bag of spuds and a few other bits and pieces. Total cost was $6. I went back to the hostel and before long I had an audience asking what I was making. I had a pot of mince and a pot of spuds. They were all cooking noodles and shite. Two Canadian lads were eatin bread and jam. A big Danish lad told me the plate of dinner I had was more than what he ate in a week. When I told him that it only cost $6, they were all lookin the recipe. Myself and the Mrs ate til we nearly burst. Hard to beat the mince and spuds.
I remember the first time I made chips

We bought a deep fryer and I made real Scottish chips, none of yer shoestring potato things
Had to make two batches, because the kids thought it was the greatest thing they'd ever had
My neighbour used to say "Let me know when you're making chips, I'll bring the beer over"
Fair trade back in the day

Great memory jog now that the thread has returned to normal ;-)
Does anybody remember Trees restaurant, near Glasgow Central station
Used to go their with my ma and granny when I was a wee boy, and have pie and chips
I remember thinking it was a fancy place because the ladies all had smock and hats on and there was doliies all over the place, tablecloths etc
One day my Ma was mortified because I cut the pie in half and put in between two slices of bread (what I did at home) all the old ladies having afternoon tea were laughing but I got a roasting when we got outside, lol
Used to visit that place often when I was a kid, was on the 1st or second floor I remember, it’s was always fish and chips for me , great memories 👍

I know the owners of the university cafe ( a chip shop) on Byers rd really well, they have deep fried Mars bar on the menu £1.50 each, l asked him about it, he said it was an urban myth that Scottish people love them, said he sells about 3 a day, to tourists, usually Chinese, the natives NEVER BUY THEM, but a deep fried pizza is delicious, particularly the pizza crunch, which is a half or a quarter pizza, dipped in batter then fried ❤️
Deep fried pizza (anchove)Great fir the morning after, on the way home buy 2single deep fried pizza eat one when you get home have the other one the next morning ,put it under the grill have it for breakfast /brunch you won't regret it but your cholesterol will go through the roof

My dad used to make brilliant spam fritters , staple diet for us 5 boys in the mid 50s early 60s in fact I think everything was fried when I was a wee boy ,except maybe mince .
Wee story about mince , when freezer centre's First started to appear my mum was in hospital and my late dad went in to buy some mince ,got it home and cooked it my dad was just having an egg sandwich because he had to rush away to pick mum up ,but the lot of us are complaining about how horrible the mince was but we just had to eat it ,days later when mums home she goes into the freezer centre and looks for this cheap mince dad had bought , horror of horrors it was dog mince , didn't do any off us any harm we still all have shining coats and cold noses🤣

Deep fried pizza (anchove)Great fir the morning after, on the way home buy 2single deep fried pizza eat one when you get home have the other one the next morning ,put it under the grill have it for breakfast /brunch you won't regret it but your cholesterol will go through the roof
Ah yes, the Myocardial Infarction dietary plan

Members online

Latest posts

Back