Celtic v West Ham, Saturday 24th July, Celtic Park

I missed today's game so I can't comment on the performance. I never really care about the results of these types of games. We all knew we had a lot of work ahead of us this season and we already have a few new exciting signings to come in. I don't think Luca Connell got on either which is disappointing.

The thing with the youngsters is they need to be integrated into the first team quite gently rather than as wholesale against very tough opposition. I still believe that that many of them will make it in the long-term. In the past players got to play reserve football before being integrated into the side but this bunch of youngsters have not had that chance.

For the good of the future of Scottish football (not just Celtic) I believe that how best to develop youngsters and fringe players needs to be improved to ensure they are given a chance to develop. And if the SFA/SPFL are not interested can we possibly team up with English clubs to do something???

We are reaping the poor management of the past couple of seasons - poor signings who are not quality , too many pointless loaners , youth players not being blooded and given chance , and a coaching team who were at best hopeless .

Big job for Ange - but he needs backing - and I don't mean just financial . A few have come on here and appear to be blaming the new coach . I cannot accept that !
In the first half we had two youngsters at CH , with a poor goalkeeper behind them playing against a seasoned and very high quality opposition . Yes , they made mistakes but they will NOT be our first choice pairing in the season to come .
Starman and Julian will make a difference .

I was pleased at some of our fast , quality passing at times in the game - which fell down at times - but his is very early in the coach's reign , so fair do's !
Need a holding midfielder to give protection to defence ( we lost most goals today on fast breakaways ! Needs sorted !) That apart our midfield looks good when going forward and will get better.
We desperately need two good fullbacks - but I am sure the coach knows this .
We need a proper CF who can lead the line and score - last two games Eddy has NOT put away easy chances which would have influenced the games at crucial times .
Wee Israeli boy still looks good but needs more of the ball .

HH

It might be Docco ...how fast is Antonio.
This all came about because Ralston could not pick out a pass in their box..

HH
Naw how slow is welsh, bang fuckin average player IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only assume our strikers are making Barkas look like Peter Schmeichel in training, otherwise he would be nowhere near the Celtic team sheet.
Naw I really think barkas is making a cunt of the people who train him, sorry
If that is a 4 million pound keeper , my wee ma is worth about 8 and she’s been dead for 13 yrs ,d sorry ma but 🙈🙈

Early doors....early doors....gie it time.....We will get there.....still more players coming to us, including the Japanese Bhoy.......Am no getting worried.....not yet anyway......I think we wont see the best of our team until at least 5 league games into the season....🍀

I think it might take a bit longer than that.....we need some strong leadership on the park as we are short there in my view..... we also need to get some physicality in to the team or we're going to get bullied.....with no protection from the MIB this will be essential imo...

I really think it's time for Ange to get his own people in. The backroom staff that he inherited will get him the sack as soon as a few bad results in the league happen. Does not matter which players he brings in the backroom staff will not make them better. Kennedy and Strachan Jnr are the problems for the last year's performance's.. Get rid now Ange or they two will cost you your job.

I missed today's game so I can't comment on the performance. I never really care about the results of these types of games. We all knew we had a lot of work ahead of us this season and we already have a few new exciting signings to come in. I don't think Luca Connell got on either which is disappointing.

The thing with the youngsters is they need to be integrated into the first team quite gently rather than as wholesale against very tough opposition. I still believe that that many of them will make it in the long-term. In the past players got to play reserve football before being integrated into the side but this bunch of youngsters have not had that chance.

For the good of the future of Scottish football (not just Celtic) I believe that how best to develop youngsters and fringe players needs to be improved to ensure they are given a chance to develop. And if the SFA/SPFL are not interested can we possibly team up with English clubs to do something???
i might be wrong mate...but was it no david murray who done away with the reserves coz he didnt want to fund it...wanted the other peoples and bank money he recieved spent on players he couldny afford....fuckin rat bastard...murry/rangers destroyed scottish football......nobody else...them n them only

i might be wrong mate...but was it no david murray who done away with the reserves coz he didnt want to fund it...wanted the other peoples and bank money he recieved spent on players he couldny afford....fuckin rat bastard...murry/rangers destroyed scottish football......nobody else...them n them only
Your not wrong mate 100% correct, and he got his poodles in the media to tell everyone that they the players were learning nothing from playing other Scottish teams and his reserves would then play a series of glamour matches against English and European teams instead(never happened) , other Scottish Premier teams were only to happy to scrap the reserve league as they had mostly shot their bolts trying to keep up with the tax dodgers and ebt recipients down auchenhowie way,and were struggling to pay wages for the first team let alone reserves due to our glorious leaders fekin up the sky deal and going with setanta.

Murray and his cabal set Scottish football back decades the only good thing was he killed his club on the way.

The shocking mismanagement of the squad these last few years is coming home to roost,were all talking how its not great having to play youngsters which is correct,but look at the amount of senior players who offer little or nothing.Bolingoli and nitcham not even making squads,edouard and christie leaving,bitton,ajeti,barkas,griffiths who are showing no leadership whatsoever and generally not performing when selected.Probably fair to say bain,taylor and ralston are tryers but back ups at best,the size of this rebuild is truly huge.My take on it is get new signings in but as importantly get the deadwood moved on from the club,far to many just not good enough,but it isnt going to happen in one window,thats for sure.

Your not wrong mate 100% correct, and he got his poodles in the media to tell everyone that they the players were learning nothing from playing other Scottish teams and his reserves would then play a series of glamour matches against English and European teams instead(never happened) , other Scottish Premier teams were only to happy to scrap the reserve league as they had mostly shot their bolts trying to keep up with the tax dodgers and ebt recipients down auchenhowie way,and were struggling to pay wages for the first team let alone reserves due to our glorious leaders fekin up the sky deal and going with setanta.

Murray and his cabal set Scottish football back decades the only good thing was he killed his club on the way.
lol...the cunt should be locked up nevermind knighted

Ignoring the game itself for a moment, yesterday was excellent. Beautiful sunny day, pre match beers in St Lukes with sons and nephews, a walk up the Gallowgate then into Paradise. Not in my own seat, was in 418 Jock Stein Stand rear, but it was brilliant to be back. Normality, at least for the 6-7 hours pre match, match and post match, has returned.
The only downer was the performance, or lack of, by the team, or the defence to be more precise. What we saw yesterday was the legacy of Peter Lawwell, aided and abetted by the complacent non exec directors who still hold the team back in order to hang on to their club blazer. We start the league campaign in less than a week and we urgently require
A goalkeeper, preferably one with arms
A right back, Ralston is a Scottish Championship player at best
A left back, Taylor doesn't possess the quality of passing to play in Ange's system
A centre back, in addition to Starfelt who has a monumental task trying to fit into the team and turn around the worst defence I have seen in the 50+ years of watching Celtic
A defensive midfielder, one who can tackle, cleanly, be positionally good and can pass to a teammate. Soro has potential but isn't close to being a first choice at the moment
A striker, one who can link up all of the good stuff we saw yesterday from wide players and attacking midfielders.
Griffiths needs to go, he is now becoming a pantomime figure that splits the support whilst offering zero on the pitch. As long as he's at the club he is the story. Tear up his contract and get rid, or if that's not legally possible move him out on loan for the season until his contract expires.
Not confident at all for this season at the moment, not just because of an embarrassing pre season defeat (I remember losing 1-5 at home to Arsenal in 1987 and then winning the double), but because as a club we remain a complete shambles off the field and this is reflected on it.
McKay and Postecoglu have been handed a shit sandwich, here's a club in decline for 2+ years under the people you are replacing but there is no football operation to speak, every of to help you, everyone's left, you need to build a whole new football operation structure from scratch as well as get a team on the park competing. This'll take a couple of years, at least 3 transfer windows.
Still great to be back though🍀

The shocking mismanagement of the squad these last few years is coming home to roost,were all talking how its not great having to play youngsters which is correct,but look at the amount of senior players who offer little or nothing.Bolingoli and nitcham not even making squads,edouard and christie leaving,bitton,ajeti,barkas,griffiths who are showing no leadership whatsoever and generally not performing when selected.Probably fair to say bain,taylor and ralston are tryers but back ups at best,the size of this rebuild is truly huge.My take on it is get new signings in but as importantly get the deadwood moved on from the club,far to many just not good enough,but it isnt going to happen in one window,thats for sure.
nitcham is an absolute waster mate...french players tae me seem to be huffy bastards....stay clear of french players of yae ask me...even dembele took the huff in the end...he was workinhis ticket in the end...they aint worth the trouble

Back