Celtic youth

Lubos left peg

Celtic youth system is full of quality. Luca, Okoflex and Dembele to name but a few.
There are whispers that Dembele wants away. We have also lost a young defender to Bayern. This is down to youth not being given a chance at Celtic lately. This obviously hasn't always been the case, Tierney, McGregor and Forrest are proof of what can be done when players are promoted from the youth ranks. I for one completey understand why our management want to go with the tried and tested, battle hardened players. To lose the chance of winning 10 in a row by playing young inexperienced players would be madness. Would you bhoys and Ghirls, after the 10 is won (which it will be) like to see more of our youngsters promoted and given a chance. Even at the risk of us loosening our grip on scottish football or do you think we should be putting them in there now?? I dont want to keep creating quality youngsters just to lose them because they arent given a chance. We should be able facilitate a few of these kids alongside a more experienced team.

I reckon in a normal season we should aim to at least try to bring through one of the youngsters. There's too much pressure from the fans to try and put more than one in. If it goes tits up you know lennys getting pelters for it. However, this ain't a normal season and as such, shouldn't be fkd about with or used for experiments.Hopefully get Bakker in at Lb and that's us sorted. Get pingpong further up to challenge Forrest and we're good to go.HH

I'd be blooding them in these hames whenever posdible. Take advantage of the 5 subs rule, instead of only using 2 or 3 subs. Especially when the stands are nearly empty - this will lessen the pressure on the youngsters (plus they are used to playing in empty grounds with no atmosphere).

This gives them much needed game time and helps to keep our main starters fresh during what will be a long hard season.

I'll be gutted if we lose dembele due to the fact he isnt getting a chance. I know no one is bigger than the club and no one should be able to make demands of the club but the amount of hype we've had around this player for him to go elsewhere and make a name for himself would be a kick in the balls

Blooding 2, (maybe 3 at a push) of your top youth players into the first team set-up over the course of a season is the way to go imo. That doesn't necessarily mean they should play regularly but it allows the management to see how they cope with the step up into the first team squad over a prolonged period and allows them to gain vital knowledge and experience of whats required at first team level.

If they show they can cut it in training with the first team squad then you slowly introduce them one by one into cup games and the latter stages of league games where the points are already secure, giving them valuable game time and experience playing at a first team level. If they shine and can show a good level of consistency then only then should they be considered as ready for possible starts or more regular game time.

Do it this way then we don't leave ourselves unnecessarily vulnerable in games by having too many young inexperienced players (who will make mistakes) on the pitch at once while it also allows these young guys to have the confidence to go out there and play knowing that there are experienced first team players who have their back and can guide them through games.

Having natural ability is only part of what's required at first team level and sometimes we fans can be guilty of focusing too much on that alone when there is so much more to it.

Blooding 2, (maybe 3 at a push) of your top youth players into the first team set-up over the course of a season is the way to go imo. That doesn't necessarily mean they should play regularly but it allows the management to see how they cope with the step up into the first team squad over a prolonged period and allows them to gain vital knowledge and experience of whats required at first team level.

If they show they can cut it in training with the first team squad then you slowly introduce them one by one into cup games and the latter stages of league games where the points are already secure, giving them valuable game time and experience playing at a first team level. If they shine and can show a good level of consistency then only then should they be considered as ready for possible starts or more regular game time.

Do it this way then we don't leave ourselves unnecessarily vulnerable in games by having too many young inexperienced players (who will make mistakes) on the pitch at once while it also allows these young guys to have the confidence to go out there and play knowing that there are experienced first team players who have their back and can guide them through games.

Having natural ability is only part of what's required at first team level and sometimes we fans can be guilty of focusing too much on that alone when there is so much more to it.
I've warned you about this common-sense thing, Andy. Are you aware that it might become contagious???

Personally, I'd love to see some of our youth get an extended run, but I have to entirely agree with your point that talent is only a part of the entire package.

There are young players who might be physical specimens, but an older, experienced player usually knows the dark arts that give them a physical edge over younger players. There's also a different mentality required and some talented players find it difficult to cope with that burden.

The vast majority of players also have agents or representatives that may propose a false analysis of how good a player actually is and try to strong arm the club into playing their player, by using threat and the suggestion of external interest from other parties.

I understand that young players are hungry and want to play in big games, but the young players that have broke through recently, have also been players in positions where we required cover. Wee Frimpong was fast-tracked mainly due to Elhamed's injury and Bauer's lack of mobility. I think Dembele has the potential to make an impact, but at what cost? There's no doubt in my mind that he would get the KT treatment and be kicked over every ground in Scotland without the necessary protection.

Cup games are the obvious outlet with the occasional cameo appearance in league games that have been put safely to bed. Even though our squad is deep, Lenny is still going to have to find ways of rotating it effectively and keeping that big squad invested, that means that the youth experiment may have to go on ice for a season and that opportunities are given to senior fringe players.

Can we talk about Sonic Youth though? Kim Gordon is a fox!

I'll be gutted if we lose dembele due to the fact he isnt getting a chance. I know no one is bigger than the club and no one should be able to make demands of the club but the amount of hype we've had around this player for him to go elsewhere and make a name for himself would be a kick in the balls

There's maybe a good reason why he isn't getting more of a chance Lubo as natural ability can only take you so far, it's only a part of what it takes to make it as a first team player. Talented as Dembele is he clearly has much much more to learn.

If he's willing to knuckle down, keep putting in the necessary time and effort, takes what he's learning from the coaches and adds it to his game and has the patience to wait for his chance then coupled with that natural ability his chance will come soon enough, if he's not then it proves he's not ready or mature enough to make the step up.

Our youth set up is a shambles. Its produced 3 players for us in the last decade (Forrest, McGregor and Tierney). The same set up that let Andy Robertson go, and would have let KT go as well had Ronny not stepped in, is still in place so its hardly a surprise we don't produce young players to break into our first team and stay there.

Our youngsters don't play much competitive football,thanks to the way Scottish football is set up, i.e no reserve team football,some development games against their peers,unless we put them out on loan,they won't gain experience, no experience, no progress 🍺 🥳

I've warned you about this common-sense thing, Andy. Are you aware that it might become contagious???

Personally, I'd love to see some of our youth get an extended run, but I have to entirely agree with your point that talent is only a part of the entire package.

There are young players who might be physical specimens, but an older, experienced player usually knows the dark arts that give them a physical edge over younger players. There's also a different mentality required and some talented players find it difficult to cope with that burden.

The vast majority of players also have agents or representatives that may propose a false analysis of how good a player actually is and try to strong arm the club into playing their player, by using threat and the suggestion of external interest from other parties.

I understand that young players are hungry and want to play in big games, but the young players that have broke through recently, have also been players in positions where we required cover. Wee Frimpong was fast-tracked mainly due to Elhamed's injury and Bauer's lack of mobility. I think Dembele has the potential to make an impact, but at what cost? There's no doubt in my mind that he would get the KT treatment and be kicked over every ground in Scotland without the necessary protection.

Cup games are the obvious outlet with the occasional cameo appearance in league games that have been put safely to bed. Even though our squad is deep, Lenny is still going to have to find ways of rotating it effectively and keeping that big squad invested, that means that the youth experiment may have to go on ice for a season and that opportunities are given to senior fringe players.

Can we talk about Sonic Youth though? Kim Gordon is a fox!

Common sense you say :unsure:......suppose I have my moments but they are fleeting SP :LOL:(y)

As for Sonic Youth/Kim Gordon the fox......sorry before my time mate. The only Sonic in my youth was a manic blue Hedgehog who's adventures seemed to centre around robbing gold rings to pay for his out of control coke habit. :LOL:

Our youngsters don't play much competitive football,thanks to the way Scottish football is set up, i.e no reserve team football,some development games against their peers,unless we put them out on loan,they won't gain experience, no experience, no progress 🍺 🥳
No reserve team football remember it was murrays demand it be scrapped and everyone followed suit , the death of youth football

Summer european touraments and think there was some sort of euro tournament running along side champions league /europa league and that's it ,,,,bodes well for the future eh

The pressure of staying ontop and games coming thick and fast are some of the reasons we won't see any upcoming youths being given a first team start ,,,,maybe 5-10 mins if the games won

As stated in another post Ronny was the only one who gave youth a chance and stuck with it , lenny won't do that ,trying to get hime to play new players is challenge enough

The Rangers and murray destroyed youth football in scotland aided and abetted by the sfa who fkd it at grass roots level

Last edited by a moderator:
No reserve teem football remember it was murrays demand it be scrapped and everyone followed suit , the death of youth football

Summer european touraments and think there was some sort of euro tournament running along side champions league /europa league and that's it ,,,,bodes well for the future eh

The pressure of staying ontop and games coming thick and fast are some of the reasons we won't see any upcoming youths being given a first team start ,,,,maybe 5-10 mins if the games won

As stated in another post Ronny was the only one who gave youth a chance and stuck with it , lenny won't do that ,trying to get hime to play new players is challenge enough

The Rangers and murray destroyed youth football in scotland aided and abetted by the sfa who fkd it at grass roots level
Spot on kelly! killed youth development and we wonder why our national teams pish!

Murray fkd Scottish football in so many ways. By throwing stupid unsustainable amounts of other people's money bringing foreigners that every other club followed which destroyed the production line of high quality Scottish players (remember when we practically always qualified for World Cups?).

Obviously deidco fans love him for all the trophies he stole for them with an illegally assembled team - they even have forgotten that he destroyed and killed their club.

Never mind though - he got a knighthood for services to business when his businesses were over £600m in debt which was never repaid.

Missed a great chance when the huns went into liquidation, shoulda flooded the the team with the kids, they had more than enough to win the league’s when they weren’t around, could have had years of them growing up and gelling together, imagine a TEAM full of KT type players 💚🍀
Got the idea that that may have been the logic behind Ronny's appointment. Move on some of the high-earners, develop youth and bring in some decent talent from Scandinavia.

Probably didn't work out as expected and his position became untenable after THAT semi-final.

Got the idea that that may have been the logic behind Ronny's appointment. Move on some of the high-earners, develop youth and bring in some decent talent from Scandinavia.

Probably didn't work out as expected and his position became untenable after THAT semi-final.
commons,mulgrew,stokes

the clique who plotted against him were moved on quite quickly , Ronny would have been an asset at the the club as a number 2 or head of youth development

Back