Celtic youth

I want to win everything domestically. A massive chunk of our income is player sales. I want youth players to get mins.

The three don't mix. Not unless the team is in full flow and dusting teams early.
Untill we have shaken off the rusty element we are stuck.
Youth are projects that need 3years sometimes. We always need first team players good to go. Then to sell.

Can we afford to throw lads in? The 5 sub rule says yes.
Can we afford to have unhappy high wage pros not kicking a ball that are better in training than a youth?
No...
We have seen some of the youth lads make the bench on merit from the training ground.

If the rest aren't at the required level then I'm sorry but that's what happens.
Count the amount of youth and low level pros that exist in the world. It dwarfs top level pros.
Only so many can make it or are good enough. Just because they are celtic youth doesn't make them special or more worthy

We would be the only club capable of fielding two teams. I'm unsure how the restructure to accommodate it would work. Would we have to enter a non league set up initially and work our way up? I'm guessing there wouldn't be the same freedom of movement player wise that we had in the old reserve league.
So young players couldn't play along side our older first team recovering from injury or playing to improve match sharpness. It might be strictly a youth squad and projects.
I'm sure we must of looked into it and deemed it too expensive or not worth it.
There's no point playing a skinny 16yr old cb against 14st hammer thrower center forward. There have been very few of our youth coming through that have been physically ready for senior pro football. Most I've seen have been skilful but essentially too light and small to compete.
Even guys like Johnston (who I rate) still has a bit to go before he can be pushing and displacing a first team player and he is 21.
By the age of 18 they should be capable of putting on some muscle mass but very few of them do.
Time and time again we hear the story of a player saying they put in extra work to build themselves up to compete better.
Are our youth doing that or are they just training and clocking out for the day?

Without the set up of a reserve league we can't operate in a way that would benefit the squad. A few injuries and we might need Soro to start or even a guy like welsh to be on the bench. We can't have them locked in B team set up and unavailable unless the sfa allow say a 10 game appearance rule for the A team.

We would have to break the mould and follow in the footsteps of a Spanish set up.
Not impossible but we couldn't use it to our advantage with the senior players registered to the A team in the way we did with the old reserve set up.

Would still be worth a punt though. Anything has to be better than this pro youth pish.

We are constantly at risk of losing our better players to the money of the EPL youth wastelands or to the German set up.

I'll add that the Germans are miles a head with what they are doing over there.
It's the no1 place young guys want to go.

Scotland is so far behind and as things stand any attempt to copy the model would fall flat on its arse over here as we are the only club that could afford to attempt it.

Even with better TV money English clubs are buried alive in debt.

Ze Germans just know how to get shit done
As true as what you said is bobo the challenge cup 1st round last season had 9 u-21 sides taking part and a Motherwell reserves. So it is possible, granted I take what you say about players possibly being locked to the A or colts teams but these are minor problems that could be easily ironed out for all those clubs either by promoting academy players etc but that's asking the SFA/SPFL to put in a hard days worth of thinking that would bust their brains. We can all see its possible, and its potentials etc even our backwards governing bodies need simply only to copy a system from abroad until the fine details are worked out and they can tweak them as necessary for this country. The players are there , for 10 clubs to do it . All that's required is the doing it.

Exactly, and it's not so long ago that the club released a raft of young talent (not an actual raft on the clyde 🤡) but many youth players were let go. MD please remind us why that happened as my memory isnt what it was when the...ehm. ....thing ...what I was trying to say what was it again 🤔
I for one would be in total support of our club making a stand by playing our young players that can't get a game in both Cup competitions this season (do not interfere with the possible quad treble) should we lose our winning strick of trophies then so be it. At least we have made a stand and said we value our young players and if the powers to be can't or won't recognise that, well that is there shame not ours.

Shame, those that run our game know no shame John, it's been like that for decades, Jock Stein called them out,the Bunnet, dragged them through the courts and slapped them stupid, Dermot Desmond wanted to, he could, the 5 way agreement gave the SFA and Sevco free rein, resolution 12 would have exposed the whole rotten cabal, but Peter Lawwell, under orders from DD, will not address these issues, so Scottish football will continue to stagnate,watched the cream of our country's players tonight, outclassed by a czeck team,which was cobbled together a day before a match, embarrasing!

I for one would be in total support of our club making a stand by playing our young players that can't get a game in both Cup competitions this season (do not interfere with the possible quad treble) should we lose our winning strick of trophies then so be it. At least we have made a stand and said we value our young players and if the powers to be can't or won't recognise that, well that is there shame not ours.
The powers that be will be over the moon if we drop out of the cups.
For me that can't happen. I want those cups.
The squad want those cups.
Throwing them in a form of supportive protest, for me, isn't a good move.
Why take a boot off of the neck?

As true as what you said is bobo the challenge cup 1st round last season had 9 u-21 sides taking part and a Motherwell reserves. So it is possible, granted I take what you say about players possibly being locked to the A or colts teams but these are minor problems that could be easily ironed out for all those clubs either by promoting academy players etc but that's asking the SFA/SPFL to put in a hard days worth of thinking that would bust their brains. We can all see its possible, and its potentials etc even our backwards governing bodies need simply only to copy a system from abroad until the fine details are worked out and they can tweak them as necessary for this country. The players are there , for 10 clubs to do it . All that's required is the doing it.
Has to be us that leads the way. If we don't drop the plans on the SFAs doorstep and make it public then it won't happen.

Again it's over to our board to make a move on this one.
Will they bother thier arse?

Is Desmond the guy to push through the next generation of youth for the benefit of Scottish football.
I doubt he looses sleep over it mate

Has to be us that leads the way. If we don't drop the plans on the SFAs doorstep and make it public then it won't happen.

Is Desmond the guy to push through the next generation of youth for the benefit of Scottish football.
More worried about his golf handicap Bobo! 🍺 🥳

I want to win everything domestically. A massive chunk of our income is player sales. I want youth players to get mins.

The three don't mix. Not unless the team is in full flow and dusting teams early.
Untill we have shaken off the rusty element we are stuck.
Youth are projects that need 3years sometimes. We always need first team players good to go. Then to sell.

Can we afford to throw lads in? The 5 sub rule says yes.
Can we afford to have unhappy high wage pros not kicking a ball that are better in training than a youth?
No...
We have seen some of the youth lads make the bench on merit from the training ground.

If the rest aren't at the required level then I'm sorry but that's what happens.
Count the amount of youth and low level pros that exist in the world. It dwarfs top level pros.
Only so many can make it or are good enough. Just because they are celtic youth doesn't make them special or more worthy
I understand bobo how cut throat making it to the top at a top club can be. I just believe we are the only club capable of fielding a young team with an age limit that are capable of completing outside of the SPFL. The money matters I fail to see been a problem as our support is so loyal that they would get support. I am going to use Stephen Welsh as an example and he is only one of many at the moment. Played 1 game for the first team last season and will probably play none this season as we have at the moment 6 (if you include el ham) who can play as centre half's or 3 at the back. So not unless we get an horrendous injury list in that position has he got any chance of getting a run out this season. Yet we might be looking for him next season but the question marks will be there as he hasn't had no game time in 2 years. So how can he develop properly when he is not given an opportunity to play competitively anywhere? Who could blame him if he was to start looking for a game elsewhere. I just feel strongly that the time has come for us as a club to stand up and say give our young players a chance as I also believe there is possibly a few future international players in there that deserve a chance instead of potentially getting demoralised

Aye and it's an absolute brutal disgrace that our club are paying more money to bring young Luca Connell to CP than we recieved for winning the league cup. 100k more for the lad to kick his heels and bide and bide his time for an opportunity to show exactly why the club deemed it was necessary to pay that 100k more . It simply has to happen else the Scottish game will continue to stagnate and go backwards. As michael posted earlier we have malky Mackay at the top of the youth section in Scotland, I'm not entirely sure what malky Mackay has done to be given such an important position. Sure he was a decent player and a fairly decent manager as well at Norwich and Cardiff (could be wrong about the clubs) but the point Im trying to make is , does he truly have the required skillsets to be in that position? Perhaps he does and in doing him a disservice but I seem to remember that he was sacked for some inappropriate behaviour/comments that in most countries would automatically rule him out of such a prestigious position especially given just how much the sports image has changed, the re-emergence of the popularity in ladies football which once , last century was hugely popular and successful in not only Scotland but around Europe as well until shut down by the blazers at mount Florida. For a country that introduced the game to the world in the first place with the English we are lagging well behind even 3rd world countries in doing our best by the game for the people. The governing bodies arent fit for purpose that's been crystal clear for a long time and yet somehow these same people have managed to cling onto the controlling power over the game in Scotland, almost (almost) similar in a way to how the whtyes and old Celtic board did for so long. Change at the heart of the seat of power is long overdue. No disrespect to Malky Mackay I'm sure he works hard at his job but as nothing much has changed through that avenue I'd assume that he is a puppet figurehead who is told what hes to do not himself with a team effecting change themselves. It's been the clubs , Edinburgh, Glasgow city, now Celtic have gone professional in the ladies game. Even then the top level was reduced from 12 to 8 clubs albeit a second tier introduced but we as a nation are well behind the times, when we should be at the forefront where we once were. The blazers have a lot to answer for the drastic drop off in standard and their 'small country' claim doesnt hold water when you see wales , northern Ireland, Eire, Iceland qualify for major tournaments. They also do nothing to help our clubs in Europe, rather they hinder us with midweek games before and after its ludicrous

then again why is lawell taking this position on the SFA/SPFL committee/board whatever the fk it is anyway? Perhaps there are things being set in motion behind the scenes in order to effect change from within , lawell is perhaps the most powerful person in scottish football at present hasnt exactly had much joy from the outside, one can but hope eh 😷

Mark Wotte, brought in to revolutionise Scottish football,check the dates,what is commonly known as the clusterphuq years,the precursor to Malky and 'operation brave'
From wikipedia
Scottish FA
Wotte was named as the first Performance Director and Technical Director of National Teams of the Scottish Football Association (SFA) on 23 June 2011.[7] Wotte left the SFA in October 2014, having implemented most of the recommendations of a review conducted by Henry McLeish.[8][9]

🍺 🥳

Aye and it's an absolute brutal disgrace that our club are paying more money to bring young Luca Connell to CP than we recieved for winning the league cup. 100k more for the lad to kick his heels and bide and bide his time for an opportunity to show exactly why the club deemed it was necessary to pay that 100k more . It simply has to happen else the Scottish game will continue to stagnate and go backwards. As michael posted earlier we have malky Mackay at the top of the youth section in Scotland, I'm not entirely sure what malky Mackay has done to be given such an important position. Sure he was a decent player and a fairly decent manager as well at Norwich and Cardiff (could be wrong about the clubs) but the point Im trying to make is , does he truly have the required skillsets to be in that position? Perhaps he does and in doing him a disservice but I seem to remember that he was sacked for some inappropriate behaviour/comments that in most countries would automatically rule him out of such a prestigious position especially given just how much the sports image has changed, the re-emergence of the popularity in ladies football which once , last century was hugely popular and successful in not only Scotland but around Europe as well until shut down by the blazers at mount Florida. For a country that introduced the game to the world in the first place with the English we are lagging well behind even 3rd world countries in doing our best by the game for the people. The governing bodies arent fit for purpose that's been crystal clear for a long time and yet somehow these same people have managed to cling onto the controlling power over the game in Scotland, almost (almost) similar in a way to how the whtyes and old Celtic board did for so long. Change at the heart of the seat of power is long overdue. No disrespect to Malky Mackay I'm sure he works hard at his job but as nothing much has changed through that avenue I'd assume that he is a puppet figurehead who is told what hes to do not himself with a team effecting change themselves. It's been the clubs , Edinburgh, Glasgow city, now Celtic have gone professional in the ladies game. Even then the top level was reduced from 12 to 8 clubs albeit a second tier introduced but we as a nation are well behind the times, when we should be at the forefront where we once were. The blazers have a lot to answer for the drastic drop off in standard and their 'small country' claim doesnt hold water when you see wales , northern Ireland, Eire, Iceland qualify for major tournaments. They also do nothing to help our clubs in Europe, rather they hinder us with midweek games before and after its ludicrous
I just fear we are going to become the Chelsea and man City of Scotland buying ready made players and once in a while a gem will make it through not a great statement that the biggest and best team in Scotland might in time not been able to provide players for a national side all because they were never really been given a chance in the first place

then again why is lawell taking this position on the SFA/SPFL committee/board whatever the fk it is anyway? Perhaps there are things being set in motion behind the scenes in order to effect change from within , lawell is perhaps the most powerful person in scottish football at present hasnt exactly had much joy from the outside, one can but hope eh 😷
It's a merry go round Winter, the huns get a year,we get a year, and on and on........

Mark Wotte, brought in to revolutionise Scottish football,check the dates,what is commonly known as the clusterphuq years,the precursor to Malky and 'operation brave'
From wikipedia
Scottish FA
Wotte was named as the first Performance Director and Technical Director of National Teams of the Scottish Football Association (SFA) on 23 June 2011.[7] Wotte left the SFA in October 2014, having implemented most of the recommendations of a review conducted by Henry McLeish.[8][9]

🍺 🥳
I remember that and also how it was perceived to be a big coup by the SFA to get such a person in that role. That said what exactly did he implement? What were mcleishes recommendations? 6 years have come and gone the only thing that's changed is theres another club playing out of ibrox using the same name as old one once used minus the Glasgow part. Good point MD would be interesting to follow up on and find out more. Alas its past my zzzzzed time which is a pity I'm puggled cos the nights/mornings posts have been great and usually quite quiet at this time. HH COYBIG good night god bless ☘✌

I remember that and also how it was perceived to be a big coup by the SFA to get such a person in that role. That said what exactly did he implement? What were mcleishes recommendations? 6 years have come and gone the only thing that's changed is theres another club playing out of ibrox using the same name as old one once used minus the Glasgow part. Good point MD would be interesting to follow up on and find out more. Alas its past my zzzzzed time which is a pity I'm puggled cos the nights/mornings posts have been great and usually quite quiet at this time. HH COYBIG good night god bless ☘✌
🍺 🥳

Im no sure our current youth players are good enough to get into first team.

When they play in colt cup tourney they struggle against lower division teams.

I Boli is fish outta water with his experience and fitness I dont think many if any of our young players are ready yet to get more than token match here and there.

Big AJer is miles better than anything we have in youth, and he often gets hard time for odd mistake.

our youth might be better than most

But I dont think any are regular premier league players yet, never mind being cut above premier league talent and ready to challenge for trebles.

if the youth are good enough Lennon has shown he will get them game time.

a few are possibly good enough for game here and there to see if they respond to the big matches

But I honestly dont see any of our youth being better than any of our top team

and our top team needs strengthened in certain areas imo

Im no sure our current youth players are good enough to get into first team.

When they play in colt cup tourney they struggle against lower division teams.

I Boli is fish outta water with his experience and fitness I dont think many if any of our young players are ready yet to get more than token match here and there.

Big AJer is miles better than anything we have in youth, and he often gets hard time for odd mistake.

our youth might be better than most

But I dont think any are regular premier league players yet, never mind being cut above premier league talent and ready to challenge for trebles.

if the youth are good enough Lennon has shown he will get them game time.

a few are possibly good enough for game here and there to see if they respond to the big matches

But I honestly dont see any of our youth being better than any of our top team

and our top team needs strengthened in certain areas imo
Where's our next 'quality street gang'!

Back