Celts successful in England

Robbyp

I was recently talking to a friend of mine from Hull. He mentioned Kenny Dalglish and although not a great football man (more into Rugby League) he said that he always admired Kenny at Liverpool. I told him that he was a hero to the Celtic support too. "Dalglish played with Celtic?" was his incredulous response. He couldn't believe it especially when I told him that he was there for 10 years, 5 as a regular (domestic, Europe and full international) and that when he finally did go to Liverpool it was the highest fee ever between two British clubs.

Anyway, being a little drunk, I started to talk about some of the Celtic players who then went on to play or manage (or both) in England over the years. Unfortunately I couldn't really think clearly at the time, but it did get me curious. So, I'd like to compile a list of players over the years who went on to fame and fortune over the border. I know ''famous' is very subjective, so as a yardstick, I suggest: Old 1st division or Premiershiip regulars or Full international caps or maybe cup winners. This can be in management or as a player. This criteria would rule out players like Frank McGarvie, simply because although he was signed by Liverpool, he was never a regular. So, over to you guys. could you make some suggestions and if possible some statistics as evidence?

Thank you.

Paddy Crerand Robby,it wiz Van Dykeish, everybody especially the board,knew how good he was went to Man Utd and became a legend!
From wikipedia, Patrick Timothy Crerand, is a Scottish former footballer who played as a midfielder. After six years at Celtic he moved to Manchester United where he was a member of teams that won the English League title twice, the FA Cup and European Cup. He also gained 16 international caps for Scotland.
His autobiography,was called "never turn the other cheek" HH ☘

Excellent, thanks Michael.

So far, Dalglish, Crerand and Van Dyke. I'm going to add Bobby Murdoch. He is well remembered and respected by Middlesbrough fans.
1. Dalglish
2. Crerand
3. Van Dyke
4. Murdoch
Ah'm no' sayin he played like Van Dyke Robbie,but he oozed class. he was a warrior,like Broony on steroid's! nobody messed wi' Paddy,we seen a great player,Kelly seen £ signs!,Celtic were a poor side at the time,it just before big Jock arrived,but Kelly ,the bastaart punted him! and Man utd got the best of him!

Aw phuq,ah'm gaun oan a rant!!!!! used tae go tae parkheid, packed in like phuqin sardines(pre Jock) scoffin' chewin gum and macaphuqinroon bars, attendance, 25,000, aye phuqin right, but what was unforgiveable, was "rewardin" Jock wi a gig as the manager of Celtic pools,whit a slap in the kisser, sack the phuqin boards! bastaarts!

Sorry Robby, I'm taking another liberty with the rules here, but another one that really bothered me was Paul Elliot (I know, I know.......).

If he stuck around Celtic Park for a few more years, then I'm pretty feckin certain he might have avoided that horrific injury, but I'm also pretty feckin sure that he would have been the difference in Tommy's team alongside Alan Stubbs. He had a few goals in him at set-pieces and some of those draws would have been converted to wins in '96.

Billy McNeill managed Man City @Villa.

Jock Stein spent a long weekend in Leeds (arnt they all 😉)..and also played in Wales.

Neil Lennon played at Leicester after being rejected by a now dead Glasgow Club 🥶.

Ronnie Simpson went England to Scotland not sure if that counts.

Bertie Auld played in a European final for Birmingham,before becoming a lion.

Sorry Robby, I'm taking another liberty with the rules here, but another one that really bothered me was Paul Elliot (I know, I know.......).

If he stuck around Celtic Park for a few more years, then I'm pretty feckin certain he might have avoided that horrific injury, but I'm also pretty feckin sure that he would have been the difference in Tommy's team alongside Alan Stubbs. He had a few goals in him at set-pieces and some of those draws would have been converted to wins in '96.

Paul Elliott was first in my mind too lol

What about viduka n dicanio or has it to be Scots

Davie Hay

My brother had a conversation years ago with an older bluenose about hard players.

Davie came up in the talk and this is what the guy said about him.

"People said big Tam Forsyth was hard, but compared to Hay, he was a fucking pussy."

Hard as fucking nails and technically brilliant. I was too young to have watched him in person but I've watched enough of him to see how good he was.

Paddy Crerand Robby,it wiz Van Dykeish, everybody especially the board,knew how good he was went to Man Utd and became a legend!
From wikipedia, Patrick Timothy Crerand, is a Scottish former footballer who played as a midfielder. After six years at Celtic he moved to Manchester United where he was a member of teams that won the English League title twice, the FA Cup and European Cup. He also gained 16 international caps for Scotland.
His autobiography,was called "never turn the other cheek" HH ☘
His book was boring ,who ever wroteit was needing his arse kicked cracking player though and some good stories in it

Members online

No members online now.

Back