Champions damp squid league

Winter

Just watched Liverpool v bayern 0-0. Not a bad game but nothing champion about it. Lyon 0-0 Barca as well. It's not long ago id have been really excited to watch such a mouth watering tie, these days I can barely be bothered. Since 4 clubs automatically qualify from the big leagues, the anticipation of watching clubs who've achieved nothing to be in the 'champions league 'just isn't there anymore. It's a joke of a competition by name, with clubs like spurs (no offence intended) who haven't been champions of anything for a decade or more getting a bye into the group stages for failing to win anything ,whilst former winners Celtic, Red Star, Steaua Bucharest etc are jetting off to Asia before the season starts just to get the chance of a play off . The sense of achievement that comes with being in the champions league has been lost and the tournament diluted. Id reckon most of us could name the majority of quarter finalists for the next five years its so slanted. Who knows ? Perhaps in ten years time rather than say Manchester city v Salzburg we will instead be calling it Etihad v Red Bull or Emirates v Irn Bru (assuming Celtic/the Scottish champions, have actually managed to beat every countries national champions between Scotland and Azerbaijan over 2 legs first) we might actually qualify for the play offs round. The games a bogey and my ma said ive to take my ba' with me when I'm going hame.

Just watched Liverpool v bayern 0-0. Not a bad game but nothing champion about it. Lyon 0-0 Barca as well. It's not long ago id have been really excited to watch such a mouth watering tie, these days I can barely be bothered. Since 4 clubs automatically qualify from the big leagues, the anticipation of watching clubs who've achieved nothing to be in the 'champions league 'just isn't there anymore. It's a joke of a competition by name, with clubs like spurs (no offence intended) who haven't been champions of anything for a decade or more getting a bye into the group stages for failing to win anything ,whilst former winners Celtic, Red Star, Steaua Bucharest etc are jetting off to Asia before the season starts just to get the chance of a play off . The sense of achievement that comes with being in the champions league has been lost and the tournament diluted. Id reckon most of us could name the majority of quarter finalists for the next five years its so slanted. Who knows ? Perhaps in ten years time rather than say Manchester city v Salzburg we will instead be calling it Etihad v Red Bull or Emirates v Irn Bru (assuming Celtic/the Scottish champions, have actually managed to beat every countries national champions between Scotland and Azerbaijan over 2 legs first) we might actually qualify for the play offs round. The games a bogey and my ma said ive to take my ba' with me when I'm going hame.
Echoes my feelings exactly, WG.......well said, that man!

WHOA Haud oan a minute pal You'll be carted aff and certified for outbursts like that Your post is one of the most concise and impossible to disagree with pieces I've seen written not only on this site but elsewhere in many a long day

Common sense and fairness are anathema to UEFA Hence the reason we have the biased and unfair situation that Clubs from smaller nations with less fashionable leagues find ourselves in

The CHAMPIONS LEAGUE is not nor has it been the sole domain of CHAMPIONS for years and by definition really shouldn't have any right to call itself such

"CHAMPIONS AND ALSO RANS FROM COUNTRIES WITH ADEQUATE FINANCIAL MUSCLE AND REPRESENTATION LEAGUE" would feature a fairer and more exact title for the tournament but admittedly it is a bit of a mouthful

True sporting Integrity has become an afterthought if indeed it was ever a forethought

Is it any wonder that our own Football Association cheated and schemed and favoured their Establishment Club until it committed suicide 7 years ago and are now offering the same helping hand tactics to their new favourites?

They are simply following the lead andcexample of the governing body of European Football

HH?

It's all about the ultra wealthy owners, consortiums some have their finger in more than one team. I alluded to this in a previous post on an article written in the guardian. Look it up you will be amazed at the amount of interaction sponsors have with the big clubs. There is no way Celtic and others can possibly compete.

If they make the mistake of the CL being Invitation Only then that will be the end of it.Its all about greed...the Final will be in New York soon...it will be less and less fair on the smaller nations...money is killing football unfortunately....so they can stick their so called CL up their arse..onwards and upwards to 20 in a row.

WHOA Haud oan a minute pal You'll be carted aff and certified for outbursts like that Your post is one of the most concise and impossible to disagree with pieces I've seen written not only on this site but elsewhere in many a long day

Common sense and fairness are anathema to UEFA Hence the reason we have the biased and unfair situation that Clubs from smaller nations with less fashionable leagues find ourselves in

The CHAMPIONS LEAGUE is not nor has it been the sole domain of CHAMPIONS for years and by definition really shouldn't have any right to call itself such

"CHAMPIONS AND ALSO RANS FROM COUNTRIES WITH ADEQUATE FINANCIAL MUSCLE AND REPRESENTATION LEAGUE" would feature a fairer and more exact title for the tournament but admittedly it is a bit of a mouthful

True sporting Integrity has become an afterthought if indeed it was ever a forethought

Is it any wonder that our own Football Association cheated and schemed and favoured their Establishment Club until it committed suicide 7 years ago and are now offering the same helping hand tactics to their new favourites?

They are simply following the lead andcexample of the governing body of European Football

HH?

There was talk not so long ago of these corporate clubs breaking away to form their own super league. I wish the would just do it and let the rest of us get back to the true champions cup format consisting solely of champions with each club entering at round 1. This is the reason the fa cup is such an exciting tournament for any thing can happen. If even put money on the same elite clubs wanting to take part in the champions cup as champions as the appeal of winning such a trophy will never die

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back