Champions League Draw - Celtic v FK Sarajevo

Decent enough performance considering it was only our 2nd competitive game, the mental focus and physical sharpness isn't quite what it should be yet but it's still early on and there were flashes of what's to come with some nice wee passages of play where the team linked up well pinging the ball around with pace and purpose. Main thing is we got the job done and Lenny gets a clearer picture on the areas of the team he has to work on.

Obviously the defence is a bit of a patchwork at the moment but the RB position needs sorted as soon as, fair play to big Ajer for his commendable efforts but he's no RB. Also the sooner big Julien gets up to speed and the Bitton/Simunovic CB partnership is ditched the better as even at this early stage it's clear to see this particular pairing is too slow and static, better teams would have capitalised on that last night......but as they've been thrown together and one is a CM then it would be a bit OTT to criticise them too much. One thing I think Lenny does need to have a word with the players about is their tendency to overplay it in and around the opposition's 18 yard box. The wee flick-ons and intricate one two's in a tightly packed defence are definitely an important part of our attacking play but they overdo it at times when a simple pass or an early shot on goal would be more effective.

Once again Christie was a stand out for me, his work rate, his positional sense, his ability to exploit the gaps in the opposition's set-up are beyond his years. If he can steer clear of injuries this bhoy is going to be a big big player for us this season. Morgan impressed again and showed he's as comfortable on the RW as he is on the LW (which I'm hoping pushes wee Forrest on because he's looked out of sorts in these 2 games).

On a wee side note - Can't believe some of the (baffling) criticism that's been levelled at Bolingoli since last night......some of the stuff I've read and heard has been fucking demented! The guy is just in the door and like everybody else is still trying to get up to speed with his fitness and sharpness while at the same time trying to integrate into a new team, new club and new country yet already there are people out there looking to slaughter the guy. I must have been watching a different game because I thought he had another good game again last night, made a few timely interceptions, carried the ball out from the back with pace, showed some nice link up play with the midfield/attack, pinged in a few dangerous crosses and even had a few shots at goal (granted they weren't good shots :D......but he found the space to get on the end of them). Aye he had a wee lapse and didn't cover himself in glory in the lead up to their goal but then again neither did anybody else! If there is one criticism that could be levelled at him last night is that he was trying too hard to make an immediate impact on his debut in front of a home crowd, like Lenny says he maybe has to temper his desire to get forward a little and focus a bit more on his defensive duties but those slagging the guy off after 2 games need to get a grip. Give the guy a chance ffs!

Decent enough performance considering it was only our 2nd competitive game, the mental focus and physical sharpness isn't quite what it should be yet but it's still early on and there were flashes of what's to come with some nice wee passages of play where the team linked up well pinging the ball around with pace and purpose. Main thing is we got the job done and Lenny gets a clearer picture on the areas of the team he has to work on.

Obviously the defence is a bit of a patchwork at the moment but the RB position needs sorted as soon as, fair play to big Ajer for his commendable efforts but he's no RB. Also the sooner big Julien gets up to speed and the Bitton/Simunovic CB partnership is ditched the better as even at this early stage it's clear to see this particular pairing is too slow and static, better teams would have capitalised on that last night......but as they've been thrown together and one is a CM then it would be a bit OTT to criticise them too much. One thing I think Lenny does need to have a word with the players about is their tendency to overplay it in and around the opposition's 18 yard box. The wee flick-ons and intricate one two's in a tightly packed defence are definitely an important part of our attacking play but they overdo it at times when a simple pass or an early shot on goal would be more effective.

Once again Christie was a stand out for me, his work rate, his positional sense, his ability to exploit the gaps in the opposition's set-up are beyond his years. If he can steer clear of injuries this bhoy is going to be a big big player for us this season. Morgan impressed again and showed he's as comfortable on the RW as he is on the LW (which I'm hoping pushes wee Forrest on because he's looked out of sorts in these 2 games).

On a wee side note - Can't believe some of the (baffling) criticism that's been levelled at Bolingoli since last night......some of the stuff I've read and heard has been fucking demented! The guy is just in the door and like everybody else is still trying to get up to speed with his fitness and sharpness while at the same time trying to integrate into a new team, new club and new country yet already there are people out there looking to slaughter the guy. I must have been watching a different game because I thought he had another good game again last night, made a few timely interceptions, carried the ball out from the back with pace, showed some nice link up play with the midfield/attack, pinged in a few dangerous crosses and even had a few shots at goal (granted they weren't good shots :D......but he found the space to get on the end of them). Aye he had a wee lapse and didn't cover himself in glory in the lead up to their goal but then again neither did anybody else! If there is one criticism that could be levelled at him last night is that he was trying too hard to make an immediate impact on his debut in front of a home crowd, like Lenny says he maybe has to temper his desire to get forward a little and focus a bit more on his defensive duties but those slagging the guy off after 2 games need to get a grip. Give the guy a chance ffs!

Well said, as usual, Andy. (y)

(y) spot on Andy HH

On a wee side note - Can't believe some of the (baffling) criticism that's been levelled at Bolingoli since last night......some of the stuff I've read and heard has been fucking demented! The guy is just in the door and like everybody else is still trying to get up to speed with his fitness and sharpness while at the same time trying to integrate into a new team, new club and new country yet already there are people out there looking to slaughter the guy.

Completely agree. What the hell is wrong with some people?

Great post Andy up to your usual quality.

HH ?

Members online

Latest posts

Back