Champions League Qualifier - FC Midtjylland

Who will progress to the next round of the Champions League

• Celtic

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Midtjylland

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

CarlisleReiver

Our first competitive game of the season - not a easy one! IF we progress it will be a huge boost to the squad and Ange's start to his Celtic's manager reign. To reach the next round will be a positive start to the season.

FC Midtjylland played their first competitive game of the season yesterday and lost at home to OB, 1-2. Highlights below.

OB finished the regular Danish league last year in 8th place with just 7 wins (Midtjylland finished second winning 13 games out of 22). The league then split with another 10 games. Midtjylland finished second winning 5 games out of the next 10 (against top 6). OB went on to finish 9th winning just 4 out of the next 10 (against bottom 6)

From watching some of their preseason games, they seem quite soft at the back and have conceeded quite a few times from corners. Midtjylland's patchy form seems to have carried on from last season. I'm feeling a bit more positive going into this very hard game.

Can we make through, and which is the best way for us to set up for Midtjylland?

Do we even have a team to put out for this game?! The road to recovery always has a few bumps and I think this will be the first one.
Still believe Agne will get us there, but not this quickly.

By the looks of things, we look like we could be fielding two fairly different teams over the course of the 2 legs with injuries and new arrivals.
Biggest change will be the expectations of our supporters which have been lowered after previous seasons.
Still an improvement with the naming of the team sheet with a striker on display would be an improvement on last season

I know it was a friendly against Preston but a bit like Ange in his interview I'm a bit deflated. Not about the score line but the way in which we controlled the game.

Positives to take into the Midtijylland, McGregor and Turnbull!
Negatives - we're not creating many chances.

Line up for the game if all fit

---------- Barkas
Ralston Welsh Shaw Taylor
------------Soro
----McGergor Turnbull
---Abada Édouard Forrest

Our first competitive game of the season - not a easy one! IF we progress it will be a huge boost to the squad and Ange's start to his Celtic's manager reign. To reach the next round will be a positive start to the season.

FC Midtjylland played their first competitive game of the season yesterday and lost at home to OB, 1-2. Highlights below.

OB finished the regular Danish league last year in 8th place with just 7 wins (Midtjylland finished second winning 13 games out of 22). The league then split with another 10 games. Midtjylland finished second winning 5 games out of the next 10 (against top 6). OB went on to finish 9th winning just 4 out of the next 10 (against bottom 6)

From watching some of their preseason games, they seem quite soft at the back and have conceeded quite a few times from corners. Midtjylland's patchy form seems to have carried on from last season. I'm feeling a bit more positive going into this very hard game.

Can we make through, and which is the best way for us to set up for Midtjylland?
Iam truly dreading Tuesday. Preston shoulda scored four. Prove me wrong Ange.
COYBIG

Here in Scotland, the word "fuck" has an everyday value to it.

It is a verb, noun and adjective. It is a comma, exclamation mark and full stop. It is an action and it is also a state of mind.

There are principally two main variations of the word "fuck" though!

There is fuckabootery and the more literal approximation of the verb: to fuck.

I'm all about the fuckabootery for the most part, but that time passed at half seven last night. Now it is time to focus on the literal use of the word and embrace our inner Leigh Griffiths spirit-animal and fuck the Danes like a rag-doll on rohypnol. If it moves - fuck it. If it speaks - fuck it. If it grunts like a hun - then fuck it back to the hell it spawned from.

Fuck Denmark. Fuck bacon. Fuck communal living-facilities in Copenhagen. Fuck Helena Christiansen. Fuck Mads Mikkelsen. Fuck Carlsberg. Fuck Midgetland and the long boat they sailed in on.

No lard, lube or sensual massage oils. Just good old fashioned fuckled till it's buckled.

Celtic win by a sticky ba' hair and friction burns.

Here in Scotland, the word "fuck" has an everyday value to it.

It is a verb, noun and adjective. It is a comma, exclamation mark and full stop. It is an action and it is also a state of mind.

There are principally two main variations of the word "fuck" though!

There is fuckabootery and the more literal approximation of the verb: to fuck.

I'm all about the fuckabootery for the most part, but that time passed at half seven last night. Now it is time to focus on the literal use of the word and embrace our inner Leigh Griffiths spirit-animal and fuck the Danes like a rag-doll on rohypnol. If it moves - fuck it. If it speaks - fuck it. If it grunts like a hun - then fuck it back to the hell it spawned from.

Fuck Denmark. Fuck bacon. Fuck communal living-facilities in Copenhagen. Fuck Helena Christiansen. Fuck Mads Mikkelsen. Fuck Carlsberg. Fuck Midgetland and the long boat they sailed in on.

No lard, lube or sensual massage oils. Just good old fashioned fuckled till it's buckled.

Celtic win by a sticky ba' hair and friction burns.

Anyone got any updates on the injury fronts regarding some of our players, as we could do with some of them for Tuesday
John...Bitton Sorro and Christaldo will all train today...No Jamesy I'm afraid however with Rogic now available midfield looks pretty reasonable. Unfortunately the defence is weaker than last season if that was even possible with Ralston being our number one right back we can't buy a goal at the moment with no width or service to an unconvincing ajeti and non interested Eddie. I think we will be heavily reliant on the goals coming from midfield ....I would start Abada as he could provide a much needed spark and might just be a lifeline.

John...Bitton Sorro and Christaldo will all train today...No Jamesy I'm afraid however with Rogic now available midfield looks pretty reasonable. Unfortunately the defence is weaker than last season if that was even possible with Ralston being our number one right back we can't buy a goal at the moment with no width or service to an unconvincing ajeti and non interested Eddie. I think we will be heavily reliant on the goals coming from midfield ....I would start Abada as he could provide a much needed spark and might just be a lifeline.
Thanks mag 7, and never thought I'd ever be saying it's a relief to try and get Bitton back for the defense again, but such as bad as things remain.
Even so Ange still has some big decisions to make for Tuesday, as regards what approach to take for the game with a much different team expected for the 2nd leg.
So will he opt for the 3 or 4 at the back? I think he may go with the 3 and the use of wing backs, so possibly a 3 of Welsh, Bitton, Big O.
Decision at left wing back with Monty or Taylor? I prefer Monty, just as I think he offers more in getting forward, yet Taylor is far better defensively and such a high work rate.
Right side, our major worry still. I don't think Ralston is anywhere good enough for celtic still, and can't even see him featuring at all as his career with us remains on borrowed time.
So should Christie or abada be given the role?
Christie would be the obvious and possibly the safer choice, even if it goes against the principles of Ange, but I hope he takes the chance and opts for abada, just for us to support a player who wants to be here more so, and also where we are really going to miss Forrest.
The midfield 3 of Turnbull, CalMac and Soro pick themselves so no worries there, plus Shaw is available should Soro not make it.
That only would leave 2 in roles where goals have been struggling to come by.
I think Rogic showed enough yesterday to get a start in a free role ahead of the midfield.
So Ajeti or Eddy?
No doubt Eddy is the better player and offers us more in terms of goals, but again the principle of someone who don't want the shirt against someone who does? Personally I would stick with the principle option, even if it's not the best decision for the team, and try bringing on eddy from the bench.
Saying all of that now, Ange will possibly have totally different ideas but either way he still remains well short on options available for such a game imo

I read somewhere that Eric Sviatchenko got slated for being too slow, [as he was before he left us] and no doubt Ajeti will make him look like Virgil Van Dijk and we will hear the clamour to bring him back to Celtic again. :p

Forrest is fit, they didn't want to risk him yesterday as he hadn't trained in his 10 days isolation period. They need to take a chance and play him on Tuesday, we don't really have any choice. If Bitton is fit he starts beside Welsh, that allows Uroghide to move to RB. We cannot go into this game with Ralston at RB, their main man, Sisto, plays off the left wing cutting inside.

Its clear that Ange will play a 4-3-3 with wingers and inverted full backs. We are still 4 players short for the way he wants to play, even taking into account Furuhashi's arrival. We still need a RB and LB that can play the way he wants them to play, an experienced CH, preferably left sided, and an upgrade on Soro in the centre. Once everyone is fit we will have an abundance of talent for the front 3 positions.

For Tuesday night

Barkas
Uroghide Welsh Bitton Taylor
Turnbull Soro McGregor
Abada Ajeti Forrest

Options from the bench Edouard, Christie, Ntcham, Shaw, Montgomery

I think this game is too soon and we will get KO'd, hopefully I'm wrong but we need more urgency in the transfer market to get players in for the next qualifying round irrespective of whether we win and its CL or we lose and its EL qualifier.

Forrest is fit, they didn't want to risk him yesterday as he hadn't trained in his 10 days isolation period. They need to take a chance and play him on Tuesday, we don't really have any choice. If Bitton is fit he starts beside Welsh, that allows Uroghide to move to RB. We cannot go into this game with Ralston at RB, their main man, Sisto, plays off the left wing cutting inside.

Its clear that Ange will play a 4-3-3 with wingers and inverted full backs. We are still 4 players short for the way he wants to play, even taking into account Furuhashi's arrival. We still need a RB and LB that can play the way he wants them to play, an experienced CH, preferably left sided, and an upgrade on Soro in the centre. Once everyone is fit we will have an abundance of talent for the front 3 positions.

For Tuesday night

Barkas
Uroghide Welsh Bitton Taylor
Turnbull Soro McGregor
Abada Ajeti Forrest

Options from the bench Edouard, Christie, Ntcham, Shaw, Montgomery

I think this game is too soon and we will get KO'd, hopefully I'm wrong but we need more urgency in the transfer market to get players in for the next qualifying round irrespective of whether we win and its CL or we lose and its EL qualifier.
You sure Gary that Forrest would be available as I was under the impression that he wasn't

He's not injured, Ange said they didn't take a chance with him yesterday because he hadn't trained for 10 days. They may not risk him again on Tuesday but they may decide that needs must, we have no one else with Johnston and Dembele injured.
If that's the case then Gary, I would agree with you and say its a forced chance to take with such a lack of experience upon our right hand side.

Members online

Latest posts

Back