Charlie Wykes is this the type of striker we need

I hope to christ this is a load of shit. 2024 and champions league money goes through the roof for us. We need to start looking at 23/24 year olds now with a view to peaking then. Bin the short termism and think like a european club, with euro ambition. Domestic game will take care of itself if we adopted a mindset beyond the Scottish Premiership. What other side in CL qualifiers would consider this guy? If answer is none we are wise to steer clear
Got to agree, the players we brought in to freshen the side last year didn't really make a difference. We practically stood still and went backwards eventually. Surprising really as there was so much to play for.
The warning signs were most obvious in Europe at an early stage. I think a lot of the players were far too comfortable as they knew NL would continue to pick them week in week out.
That proved to be HIS downfall more than theirs.

I hope to christ this is a load of shit. 2024 and champions league money goes through the roof for us. We need to start looking at 23/24 year olds now with a view to peaking then. Bin the short termism and think like a european club, with euro ambition. Domestic game will take care of itself if we adopted a mindset beyond the Scottish Premiership. What other side in CL qualifiers would consider this guy? If answer is none we are wise to steer clear
So last summer we walked away from buying Ivan Toney and this summer we are being linked with an underwhelming journeyman like this! I hope this is the usual media bullshit otherwise this is the ultimate in downsizing.

My bad, he';)s only 36, just had a hard paper round,

Got to agree, the players we brought in to freshen the side last year didn't really make a difference. We practically stood still and went backwards eventually. Surprising really as there was so much to play for.
The warning signs were most obvious in Europe at an early stage. I think a lot of the players were far too comfortable as they knew NL would continue to pick them week in week out.
That proved to be HIS downfall more than theirs.
A few second choices arrive, a few want to leave and had no bids and the ones that did come in came late (as ever), on a lot of money and didn't cut it sadly.

So last summer we walked away from buying Ivan Toney and this summer we are being linked with an underwhelming journeyman like this! I hope this is the usual media bullshit otherwise this is the ultimate in downsizing.
even if it's a 'could do a job in the league' signing it is not indicative of the modernising approach we are being sold. If future is our focus this won't cut it.

Spot on ...rebuild not rejects ...going forwards not backwards ...development not standing still. Any short term fixes with journeymen and hasbeens will set us back even further.
The 10 is gone like. If it takes time to establish the next era of dominance then so be it. I'd prefer to see the coming period of dominance established around home-grown players who know the craic.

Back