Club Statement.

CalumHH

FOLLOWING the conviction of Mr James Torbett at Glasgow Sheriff Court, Celtic Football Club wishes to express our deep regret that the incidents took place and sympathy for the victims who suffered abuse. We are grateful for the courage of those who have come forward to report abuse and to give evidence after such a long period of time. We have great respect for them and their families as they continue to cope with the distressing effects of the abuse they suffered.

Allegations regarding abuse at Celtic Boys’ Club first emerged in the 1990s. Although Celtic Football Club is an entirely separate organisation, we have always taken these allegations extremely seriously because of our historic contacts with Celtic Boys’ Club. All investigations by the police and other inquiries were given our full support. We encouraged any individuals involved to report all information to the police so that matters could be investigated fully. Celtic Football Club continues to encourage any victim of abuse to report these crimes to the police.

After the allegations became known in the 1990s, Celtic Football Club took steps to develop a new code of conduct and procedures to protect young people. Since then, Celtic Football Club has been at the leading edge of putting welfare and safeguarding protections in place for our young people. We were the first club in Scotland to appoint a safeguarding officer, developing policies for the protection of young people and monitoring and reviewing our procedures to ensure they continue to reflect best practice.

The abuse of children is an issue affecting many areas of society, including a large number of football clubs, sports clubs, youth organisations, educational institutions and religious bodies across Britain. Celtic Football Club strongly believes that children and young people involved in football have the right to protection from all forms of harm and abuse and is committed to ensuring this and to promoting their wellbeing through continued cooperation with our children and young people, parents and carers and the relevant authorities.

It is a hard one to comment on in that we don’t know exactly who knew what, and when they knew it.

Obviously none of the people who were around the club at that time are still involved with us, but I’m all for civil cases being brought against any individuals, who are still alive, and committed a crime.

It is an absolute tragedy that anyone has to suffer, any form of abuse, well in any way at all.

The problem is we’ll never change human nature, - as my gran used to say - you’re scared to open the door these days in case the Devil walks in.

There’s evil everywhere.

Peter Lawwell(and I’m not his biggest fan) can only do so much in this situation.

It was the clubs birthday yesterday, - we all know why the club was formed, many many good things have happened since, the Celtic Foundation do a brilliant job helping people with addiction, mental health issues, Down’s Syndrome, well they do a brilliant job, regardless of your faith, background etc.

When I see that it makes me proud to support Celtic.

Trouble is these fuckers would probably enjoy it. Castrate them, physically or chemically. Then batter them.
If people would realise the psychology behind abuse they would realise that for many abusers it's not about the sexual act but about control and dominance and no amount of chemicals or castration stops offenders from using other implements to carry out their abuse. This is more often than not more physically damaging to the victim.

If people would realise the psychology behind abuse they would realise that for many abusers it's not about the sexual act but about control and dominance and no amount of chemicals or castration stops offenders from using other implements to carry out their abuse. This is more often than not more physically damaging to the victim.
Well said! Without making excuses the abuser was often previously abused. Unfortunately I have yet to find the solution other than to support the abused absolutely and continually look for ways to limit the abuser and understand why they choose such extreme means. Mealy mouthed liberal me. ?

True evil doesn't need hormones and child sex abuse must be one of the most evil of crimes. Although we're discussing Torbett, children are still at far more risk of abuse by someone close to them. Sad but true. As for people like Torbett, well if you like chocolate, you'd like working in a chocolate factory so we should all be aware of what types of clubs etc our kids are joining and exactly who has immediate access to them.

BBC are reporting the club could face court action if it fails to meet the victims of the Beast. Am I missing something here, but what part of different entity don't they get? Celtic never caused these horrific crimes?

Worked with children for man years and twice a year we have to update
our Children Protection Policies.We have to look out for signs and listen.
We must report any concerns the matter how slight we think they me be.
Unfortunately it is to late for the victims of historic abuse,but it is not the
taboo it once was,children are now more open.I however do not think
it will ever be eradicated from our society.

Members online

Latest posts

Back