Corners

Simple enough for me. It's a personnel problem. Ask yourself who do we have that is excellent at whipping a ball into the box accurately and consistently at head height? Who do we have that's great in the air?
You need a few left and right footers and a few that can get on the end of them. Can you train a professional that can't beat the first man half the time to get to that level?

KT- just isn't a set piece taker but is great in open play.
Most of our wide players aren't a beat a man on the touchline and whip it in types.
Hayes is ok at at but there are better guys a head of him selection wise. Our C/AM are better with the ball at their feet. Our Cbs don't have that attacking threat. Griff again can do it but he won't start every game or has even been able to even with his head right due to calf injuries.

It's an issue with our current squads skill set.
I doubt it will change unless it's addressed when the summer rebuild happens.

Set-pieces are still the most likely avenue to scoring regularly in football.

We used to spend hours on creating and defending set-pieces, as it was the one area where physicality and strength often outweighed technical ability.

There was still a requirement for technical ability in the delivery, but once you mastered that art, then it was all about the bodies in the box.

It's not the fact that opponents are robustly defending our set-pieces, it's just that we don't look remotely threatening or dangerous from them.

Modern day equipment (particularly the balls) mean that it should be relatively simple to whip a decent ball into the box. A lack of threat in this area is costing us a minimum of 15 goals a season. That's a lot of points potentially being lost because we can't cross a dead ball into the box and none of our target men can accurately head a ball.

You can even argue that it's often the second-ball, flick, or knock-down that leads to a clearer opportunity. We can't even benefit from that?

JVofH and big Sammy maybe weren't as potent as they could have been in directly scoring from set-pieces, but they caused enough disruption and panic to ensure a second opportunity would arise. That's a feature that's missing from this current team and it's costing us big time (particularly in European ties).

If you watch any corners Hayes takes, he puts them where you would want them. It just looks like there's no one interested in attacking the ball.
There's the thing, TD. I don't think anyone would argue that the Beckham laddie was a decent player, but he certainly wasn't world-class?

What he could do was deliver a ball into an area of your choice and it was the responsibility of the intended target to get on the end of it.

When you have a player that can deliver like that, you have to persevere and compensate for other shortcomings. I would play Johnny Hayes every week on the basis that he's our best striker of a dead-ball. I happen to think he has other merits, but that skill alone should warrant a place. But you're spot on, it needs the intended targets to show a bit of intelligence and commitment to get into the right areas.

Is it just us that dinna score fae corners or is it a league wide thing?
I think the way corners are defended has changed with all the pushing, pulling and rugby tackles now the norm.
I would be interested to see how many goals were scored from corners (headers) across the league twenty years ago and then ten years ago and then now.
Is this a Celtic thing or is it a new league wide trend in football?
Rich

You could be right about just not being us, Richy and the amount of American Football style pushing and shoving that goes unnoticed by the refs may well be the cause of the ball not being attacked. I can't figure out why refs don't penalise every push or pull in the box for corners the same as they do in open play.

I think the way corners are defended has changed with all the pushing, pulling and rugby tackles now the norm.
I would be interested to see how many goals were scored from corners (headers) across the league twenty years ago and then ten years ago and then now.
Rich
The only team I can think of that have been pretty successful with set-pieces, was the english mob during the world Cup.

I'm sure there are others, but I believe you're right, Rich........there doesn't appear to be any real exponents of the set-piece.

The diet huns pose a bit of threat with the sheer amount of hammer-throwers they have, but there's not a great deal of subtlety about it.

Rich

I think we only need to go back to wee Lubo and the carnage and chaos his corners used to cause teams in Scotland and Europe. Down to his ability and having players who would bust a gut to get on the end of them Richybhoy

Dembele's from a corner in 10 September 2016 was special in the 5 - 1 humbling of the filth.
I could be wrong but the last goal we scored from a corner was Boyata at the Celtic v Aberdeen game in 1st February 2017.

Did Benkovic not score one this season? But, one a season is utterly shite. A total waste of time getting worked up when we get one. That’s my beer refill time.

Members online

Latest posts

Back