Craig Gordon

Winter

Having read the latest on big FF not being keen on another loan deal given his mammoth wages I wonder have we made a whopper of a mistake by letting Craig Gordon go? It shouldn't be forgotten what Gordon did for us not ever , apologies if this post has already been up I've not been on for a wee bit. Do we think it true that Celtic offered a Scotland international 80% less wages than his previous contract? I find that one hard to believe though if any club was to do that it would be peters club. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the arse. Joe hart? Fek off and bravo? Aren't both those guys older than craig Gordon? We desperately need a keeper and if we were in this position ( like before) craig Gordon would fit the bill perfectly a great servant to the club HH

Take Hart in hartbeat...his form might be sketchy of late but the bigger picture needs to be looked at...we are a big draw and you never lose your talent only your form...as keepers go, he's an artist

( See what a did there 👍)
Aye get it tony haha I wouldnt touch hart with a paintbrush sure stevie woods may get him back on track but marshall looks more likely given his club Wigan have gone into administration

Gordon was on a huge wage. We can't pay a third choice 'keeper that.

Celtic made the mistake in the past of keeping players on huge money long after their peak (notably members of the Seville team).

I have a feeling that a deal for the Wall can still be done. If not, I think Stevie Woods could get a tune out of any of the 'keepers mentioned.

Gordon was on a huge wage. We can't pay a third choice 'keeper that.

Celtic made the mistake in the past of keeping players on huge money long after their peak (notably members of the Seville team).

I have a feeling that a deal for the Wall can still be done. If not, I think Stevie Woods could get a tune out of any of the 'keepers mentioned.
Thing is though if FF doesnt return hed be first or a toss up for first choice gordon wasnt on huge money for us his career was going nowhere his age is something to look at but look at McGregor at the bigotdome hes still playing to I international standards

He was on 20k which is more than most of the squad. He was also breaking down when having to train full time after being no2.
Would he have signed for 10k? Probably. What's Bain on? What kind of message is it to the team if a guys shot and gets given a fresh contract and isn't first pick.
Same reason I think we let SIM go. The weakness in his knee. CG had his own frailties.
We can't offer him first team football either. If Gordon had signed for 4k and wanted to battle for no2 with Bain fine. After the 'Wa' we were always going to try and maintain a higher standard of player in that position.
I'm not sure kicking the can down the road with CG would be the best route.

We have spent about 4/5m on keepers in the last 20years and not had to put our hand in our pockets for the last 8!

We should get the finger out and make a move for a good target

He was on 20k which is more than most of the squad. He was also breaking down when having to train full time after being no2.
Would he have signed for 10k? Probably. What's Bain on? What kind of message is it to the team if a guys shot and gets given a fresh contract and isn't first pick.
Same reason I think we let SIM go. The weakness in his knee. CG had his own frailties.
We can't offer him first team football either. If Gordon had signed for 4k and wanted to battle for no2 with Bain fine. After the 'Wa' we were always going to try and maintain a higher standard of player in that position.
I'm not sure kicking the can down the road with CG would be the best route.

We have spent about 4/5m on keepers in the last 20years and not had to put our hand in our pockets for the last 8!

We should get the finger out and make a move for a good target
I agree but this guy is an international offered 80% pay cut 4k is that? its telling a lot that hearts are obviously offering more plus we got him for zilch

Thing is though if FF doesnt return hed be first or a toss up for first choice gordon wasnt on huge money for us his career was going nowhere his age is something to look at but look at McGregor at the bigotdome hes still playing to I international standards

£20-odd thousand a week is a lot by Celtic standards. That's a million a year. We don't need three keepers like that - we need two and then some very promising youth options.

Celtic are in the mental position of having a huge wage bill by most European standards (compared to Ajax, Benfica etc.) but our top earners are on less. What those teams do well is concentrate their resources on 11 to 14 top players and then use the youths. We have about 30 players on decent money.

I'd rather that £20k/week is put towards paying for Forster, Marshall or that Greek lad.

I agree but this guy is an international offered 80% pay cut 4k is that? its telling a lot that hearts are obviously offering more plus we got him for zilch
I think the 4k made him spit the dummy.
Will hearts be offering more than St Mirren? Probably. Will they be offering more than us? I doubt it.
In his eyes he has left out of pride after the 80% reduction. He will get playing time at Hearts but he will be nowhere near the Scotland no1 gloves.
He will have to put in more of a shift in goal playing for Hearts and the extra wear and tear could be an issue for him. Time will tell.
I wish him all the best

Having read the latest on big FF not being keen on another loan deal given his mammoth wages I wonder have we made a whopper of a mistake by letting Craig Gordon go? It shouldn't be forgotten what Gordon did for us not ever , apologies if this post has already been up I've not been on for a wee bit. Do we think it true that Celtic offered a Scotland international 80% less wages than his previous contract? I find that one hard to believe though if any club was to do that it would be peters club. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the arse. Joe hart? Fek off and bravo? Aren't both those guys older than craig Gordon? We desperately need a keeper and if we were in this position ( like before) craig Gordon would fit the bill perfectly a great servant to the club HH

You could make the argument that both Celtic and Craig Gordon made a massive mistake here. The club let CG go knowing that a permanent deal for FF wasn't nailed down while CG refused to wait and see how that one played out before deciding to quit.

Ironically if CG had held on a little longer he would've been in a stronger negotiating position right now given how the FF saga has panned out.

As for PL & the board asking CG to take an 80% drop in wages....it's certainly not outwith the realms of possibility, they done similar with big Lustig.

You could make the argument that both Celtic and Craig Gordon made a massive mistake here. The club let CG go knowing that a permanent deal for FF wasn't nailed down while CG refused to wait and see how that one played out before deciding to quit.

Ironically if CG had held on a little longer he would've been in a stronger negotiating position right now given how the FF saga has panned out.

As for PL & the board asking CG to take an 80% drop in wages....it's certainly not outwith the realms of possibility, they done similar with big Lustig.
They did do similar with lustig that's worked out for the better big mikael has lost his place in Belgium. I just hope we get a deal done quickly as theres not a lot of time left though they are talking of extending the window in England this season and that's not good news for us as marshall will no doubt be wanted and paid more should an EPL or championship club come after him. There must be a lot of confidence in hazard I dont recall anyone getting a 7 year contract with us.

Every player has a use by date, CG and ML had reach theirs, perhaps CG could have been a back up for another year, Bain didn’t do much wrong before his hand injury, I’ve confidence in him 👍

Every player has a use by date, CG and ML had reach theirs, perhaps CG could have been a back up for another year, Bain didn’t do much wrong before his hand injury, I’ve confidence in him 👍

I wouldnae argue with any of that BB. (y)

Was just making the point that Lawell and the board have no issues playing hardball with any player negotiating a new deal, great servant to the club or not.

Been a big fan of Bain since he got his chance, the bhoy barely put a foot/glove wrong during his time between the sticks, he's just been a bit unlucky with the injury and having 2 great keepers competing with him for the No.1 spot.

I've confidence in bain also,but I'd like us to sign the guy who just left st Mirren. Seen him pull off some stunning saves last season and think he could be our first choice even.HH

Back