Darren O'Dea new U18's manager thoughts?

Big Bobo's bunnet

3 ex celtic center backs now in the coaching set up. Is it getting a bit old bhoys club?
I completely get the idea of having guys in that love/know the club but are they the best option? We seem to be putting a lot of effort into bringing in good quality youth, mibi we are just making more noise about it than before as the summer and winter windows drag by?
I'm open to better learned person on here to put me right.
It's a vital time were kids make the jump. I'd like us to have went a bit more exotic, not sure how the rest feel?
A plus point is the Motherwell guys were disappointed he was leaving and were impressed with him in his short stint.

Good point. That had completely slipped my mind till it was brought up. I can remember shouting at the telly
There were a few occasions, seemed like he was out to prove himself with a booking every time he played Celtic. Remember him manhandling a Celtic player (maybe Armstrong) to the ground in what the commentator described as a 'rugby tackle'. I sincerely hope he's a better coach that he was a player as the thuggish behaviour would have been in no small part been down to how it was the only way he could stop Celtic players. If he trains Celtic players to play the way he played against Celtic the masons will think it's Christmas.

One of the features of Buck's tenure could be found in the way he integrated a coaching style which could be replicated from the age-group set-up right through to the first XI.

Theoretically- it could be argued that young players entering into the first-team squad would be well-versed in and familiar with the systems they were being asked to play.

I'm not sure that this method is an entirely great idea, as the biggest criticism of Buck was that he didn't have a practical alternative when Plan A didn't work; however - it would be fair to say that a number of young players came into the squad and adapted fairly quickly. I guess, by that standard, it was a relatively successful method.

I don't know Darren O'Dea's coaching capability or credentials, but I would rather that Celtic were looking for a wee bit more finesse in how we develop young players. There's not as much scope for free-flowing football in the Scottish Leagues, but I'd still prefer quality over rough and tumble. I hope I'm wrong and that Darren is a purist at heart, from his agricultural efforts as a player - I'm not sure that my hope is well-founded unless, that is, Celtic are planning on gaining a foothold in the GAA

He was one of the few that openly stated the Sevco were a new club and shouldn't be able to claim the titles/ cups of the old club. The huns were furious (are they ever anything else) and they hate him.
He may have played hard against us but would we really expect him to play any other way? He played the same against all opposition. Hopefully he will instill that in the youngsters.

Personally he wouldn't have been my choice, but I guess none of us on here actually know too much about his abilities as a coach - these may be completely different from his skills as a player.

Nowadays he needs to be able to judge and encourage players; decide on the right tactics, formations and team selection (hopefully as part of a larger co-ordinated plan within the whole playing structure of the club to ensure as many players as possible can move upwards); be able to enforce discipline and build-up youngsters; as well as organise day-to-day coaching drills that develop our players and keep them interested.

Darren was always a very limited player, but often they are the ones who progress further as coaches as they needed to work hardest at training to get on in the game. Hopefully he can play the game better in his head than he did with his feet and can transmit this to developing our youngsters to their fullest extent. Welcome back Darren!

Darren was always a very limited player, but often they are the ones who progress further as coaches as they needed to work hardest at training to get on in the game. Hopefully he can play the game better in his head than he did with his feet and can transmit this to developing our youngsters to their fullest extent. Welcome back Darren!
Jose Mourinho never even played the game and his 1st job in football was as interpreter for Bobby Robson at Barca.
Many successful football players players have gone on to management/coaching and have found their abilities do not transfer into success as they do not have either the tactical or communication skills in this sphere of the game. We don't have to look very far to see a prime example of this. ;)

Jose Mourinho never even played the game and his 1st job in football was as interpreter for Bobby Robson at Barca.
Many successful football players players have gone on to management/coaching and have found their abilities do not transfer into success as they do not have either the tactical or communication skills in this sphere of the game. We don't have to look very far to see a prime example of this. ;)
Ha ha! And I managed to steer clear of hinting at Sloppy G... :D

Stein, Ferguson, Shankly, Paisley, Busby, Clough, Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp, Murty, etc. were never that fantastic at playing but will all be considered managerial/coaching legends in years to come.

Not a choice I would have made, seems we are trying to instill a Celtic ethos or something. Personally I would have brought in half a dozen French, German, Spanish coaches to really give the young talent a solid grounding. Look how much McGeady improved when Strachan brought a French coach in. Don't see O'Dea bringing much to the table.

Far be it from me to suggest there maybe some strategic thinking at play here. We seem to have recruited well at the 17 to 19 age group so I am hoping DoD has been recruited on more than his Celtic pedigree. Embed quality people in the system and we will produce, so I hope we have done our due diligence before his recruitment
HH

Playing and coaching are two very different skills and do not translate directly as has been said above. Darren strikes me as a hard worker who is results focussed. What he does determines whether we will have 12,13 and 14 IAR

Members online

Latest posts

Back