Deacon Blue - Huns or not?

I electrically rewired his mothers house (Monifieth) back in '88 when they released the 'When The World Knows Your Name' CD, which succeeded the 'Raintown' album. His (Ricky Ross) mum's living room wall was by then choc-a with platinum, gold and silver awards.

'Raintown' their first album is an attachment to the city of Glasgow. with its iconic background of chimneys, auld hooses and rain impinged frontispiece.
However, before any of yous' lovelllllllllly people and fellow Celtic family friends nail me for mentioning the seemingly never-ending 'Glesca ren'..........can I say unlike my Dundee pal SP, (hail hail my friend) I think the songs and music from that album are in the top ten of my all time favourite songs....

Take a listen to 'Loaded', 'Love's Great Fears', 'the unforgettable 'Dignity', ................. or even Raintown its cover song.........or arguably the best opening to any song as you will likely ever hear in 'When Will You Make My Phone Ring',
Absolutely superb....
Have a listen guys and girls.......this song and lyrics will have you 'lookin' for the kleenex......The entire album does not have an average tune in it........ Its in my top five and well earned.....its up there with The Stone Roses 'I wanna Be Adored' and long before French Eddy earned it!!
but ......chocolate girl is probably the least played on the 13 track cd.....

Enjoy it .....I know you will.........
HH

'the unforgettable 'Dignity'

Oh yes, it's unforgettable alright. Allegedly used during 'enhanced interrogation' at Guantanamo Bay and by the Assad regime. Apparently Bono likes to listen to it while he decides where to allocate the 1% of funds raised by his One Campaign which actually goes to charity.
Did I mention I fucking hate Deacon Blue's music and all the other Prefab Sprout pretentious shite from the 80s.

A
I electrically rewired his mothers house (Monifieth) back in '88 when they released the 'When The World Knows Your Name' CD, which succeeded the 'Raintown' album. His (Ricky Ross) mum's living room wall was by then choc-a with platinum, gold and silver awards.

'Raintown' their first album is an attachment to the city of Glasgow. with its iconic background of chimneys, auld hooses and rain impinged frontispiece.
However, before any of yous' lovelllllllllly people and fellow Celtic family friends nail me for mentioning the seemingly never-ending 'Glesca ren'..........can I say unlike my Dundee pal SP, (hail hail my friend) I think the songs and music from that album are in the top ten of my all time favourite songs....

Take a listen to 'Loaded', 'Love's Great Fears', 'the unforgettable 'Dignity', ................. or even Raintown its cover song.........or arguably the best opening to any song as you will likely ever hear in 'When Will You Make My Phone Ring',
Absolutely superb....
Have a listen guys and girls.......this song and lyrics will have you 'lookin' for the kleenex......The entire album does not have an average tune in it........ Its in my top five and well earned.....its up there with The Stone Roses 'I wanna Be Adored' and long before French Eddy earned it!!

HH
Hahahahahaha I'm no long home from my pint, JC.

I was discovering American new wave in the 80's and latterly drifted towards the Seattle scene.

With the exception of some New Order, The Smiths and The Mission, I didn't have much business with UK music.

I did get the Kleenex oot for Wendy James on quite a few occasions though.

Thatcher:mad:!

Eurooean Cup Quarter Final (1979/80)
Lost 3-2 on agg to Real Madrid after 2-0 victory at Parkhead ?

Scottish Cup Final (1979/80) Riot (WW3 with a drinks license) Celtic 1 HUNS 0

I was mostly working overtime

Celtic won the League (80/81)

We lost Johnny Doyle 19 Oct 1981 Rip ?

I was mostly working night shift

I got merit ā¤ļøā¤ļø

Celtic won the League (81/82)

League Cup Final. Celtic 2 HUNS 1

I was mostly drinking Grolsch

Davie Hay replaces Cesar as manager

Celtic 5 Sporting Lisbon 0 after 2-0 away defeat

I was mostly chasing my tail

UEFA fucked us over regarding Rapid Vienna outcome in Cup Winners Cup

I was mostly hating UEFA

We lost Jock Stein 10 Sept 1985 RIP?

Everton did us a favour and fucked Rapid Vienna in Cup Winners Cup Final?

We beat Dundee Utd 2-1 in Scottish Cup Final

I was mostly stoned

We drew 4-4 with HUNS at IBROKES What a game!!

We won the league 5-0 at Love St last day of season (85/86)

I was mostly drying off I got drenched at so many matches that season

I was also mostly giving up cigarettes

Billy McNeill replaces Davie Hay as manager in a Clydebank car park

I mostly starting a family

Centenary League and Scottich Cup Double
beating Dundee Utd in Scottish Cup Final
(Thatcher again) ?

I was mostly hating Thatcher

We won the Scottish Cup 1-0 v HUNS

We won 5-4 at home to Partizan Belgrade
Dziecanowski scoring 4 goals We went out on away goals after drawing 6-6 on agg?

I was mostly calling Mo Johnston a Fuckin' Judas and raging about Celtic related incidents (Scottish Cup win apart)

Little did I know there was mostly much worse to follow

HH?

Last edited:

I got merit ā¤ļøā¤ļø

I was mostly hating UEFA

I was mostly stoned

(Thatcher again) ?

Dziecanowski scoring 4 goals We went out on away goals after drawing 6-6 on agg?

I was mostly calling Mo Johnston a Fuckin' Judas and raging about Celtic related incidents (Scottish Cup win apart)

HH?

I was mostly being born

I'd imaging i was mostly shitting myself and crying.

Probably shitting myself still but also trying to shit in a plastic potty I'd imaging...still crying

Little did I know my family were planning to move to easterhouse with mostly worse to follow ??

I got merit ā¤ļøā¤ļø

I was mostly hating UEFA

I was mostly stoned

(Thatcher again) ?

HH?

I was mostly being born

I'd imaging i was mostly shitting myself and crying.

Probably shitting myself still but also trying to shit in a plastic potty I'd imaging...still crying

Little did I know my family were planning to move to easterhouse with mostly worse to follow ??

I was dragged up in Easterhouse but that was mostly in the 1960s and 70s before the 1980s became a blight on the landscape

HH?

Hope no , their album Raintown brings back good memories for me ,, it was on the lassies car stereo when i lost my V :)

We moved into a 2nd floor office at 7 Park Terrace next door to the Youth Hostel overlooking Kelvingrove park towards Royal Terrace This would be early 1996

When I looked out of the window I saw exactly the same vista which appeared on the front of the Raintown Album a black and white photograph taken by Oscar Mazaroli

I was dead chuffed to think I was standing at the vantage point where he had taken that iconic pic from

I can't help but wonder if member fergusslayedtheblues on here has tentative links with Deacon Blue?

HH?

Absolutely superb....

HH

Another great Dundonian band is / was Danny Wilson and of course the late Michael Marra
Wonder why so many Dundonians write so many songs about Glesga

Well Danny Wilson ( Gary Clark) wrote about Aberdeen ?

HH?

Last edited:
Another great Dundonian band is / was Danny Wilson and of course the late Michael Marra
Wonder why so many Dundonians write so many songs about Glesga

Well Danny Wilson wrote about Aberdeen ?

HH?
Glasgow is like a whole new exciting world for us, Bill!

I still take a deep breath when I get into Glasgow. London does nothing for me, but Glasgow just has something special about it.

There's a confidence about you all that appeals to us in bandit country!

I can see why those boys were inspired to write about it.

Btw......the Clark Brothers are both good Catholic boys with a lick of the Tim about them.

Back