Desmond’s Psychologist but it’s not the Celtic players who need the intervention

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of very valid points Niall. But I am also happy that we are finally addressing the mental aspect of the sport too. Top sportsmen have been using psychologists for many years now so if this gives us an advantage at a crucial time then it can only help us to add to our success.

Last edited:
Lots of very valid points Niall. But I am also hsppy that we are finally addressing the mental aspect of the sport too. Top sportsmen have been using psychologists for many years now so if this gives us an advantage at a crucial time then it can only help us to add to our success.
I was actually shocked it wasn't something we'd embraced ages ago...though when I say shocked :rolleyes:
Desmond's assertion seemed to be the players had some sort of block in European football but I just felt a lack of a coherent strategy plays a bigger part rather than a group of players who have handled plenty of pressure over the years. If we're looking at external help by all means seek marginal gains, but address the massive strategic issues too.

I was actually shocked it wasn't something we'd embraced ages ago...though when I say shocked :rolleyes:
Desmond's assertion seemed to be the players had some sort of block in European football but I just felt a lack of a coherent strategy plays a bigger part rather than a group of players who have handled plenty of pressure over the years. If we're looking at external help by all means seek marginal gains, but address the massive strategic issues too.
Yeah, you are 100% correct. Address the part that affects the small margins by all means, but to continue to ignore the obvious mistakes that really do make a big difference is just ludicrous!

And DD going on about a British Super League again? That is not going to happen. IMO we'd be better speaking to the biggest clubs from Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway & Sweden to form an alliance there.

Yeah, you are 100% correct. Address the part that affects the small margins by all means, but to continue to ignore the obvious mistakes that really do make a big difference is just ludicrous!

And DD going on about a British Super League again? That is not going to happen. IMO we'd be better speaking to the biggest clubs from Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway & Sweden to form an alliance there.
Great minds think alike or is it fools seldom differ? :)

Great minds think alike or is it fools seldom differ? :)
I do think there will be a coming together, but as you say the top 5 leagues do not need - or want - other clubs like us to join in. We had better be at the forefront of these behind closed doors discussions with other similar clubs facing the same problems. Lawwell has a lot of high level connections so I hope he is using them.

I think the sports psychologist could make a difference since a lot of sport is mentality but I am also shocked that it hasn't been in use. As far as I have read, Rodgers uses NLP to get the best from players and I would have thought Ronny would bring in a sports psychologist since he seemed to embrace sports science.

There does seem to be more wrong that just an absence of a sports psychologist. A CEO who seems to bring in money but then takes a fair chunk of it back out in salary and bonuses - is he actually bringing in enough for his salary and bonuses? - and who wastes his own time by trying to save a few hundred thousand off a signing when he could be spending that time wasted in bringing in more income. A major shareholder who seems to be the money man because he takes more out than anyone else though maybe I'm just being cynical and he had the contacts to bring about the Adidas deal (rather than a Castore deal... though if this was true, what was PL doing). A team manager who pays tribute to a former Scotland manager by playing no strikers, who plays players in wrong positions, who doesn't accept criticism, who seems incapable of changing things for the better during matches and whose idea of energising and cajoling the players is to sit on the bench for 89 minutes. An assistant manager who doesn't seem to be able to influence the manager.

Something else I am wondering is whether the 2019-2020 players are all still on reduced salaries and watching new players coming in. Is the signing of new players whilst the existing players had to take cuts having an effect on some of them? I would add that I'm not excusing them because, even on reduced salaries, most of them would probably have enough money to not work for the rest of their days after retiring. It probably wouldn't be as troublesome to the Celtic minded players but the others?

I think the sports psychologist could make a difference since a lot of sport is mentality but I am also shocked that it hasn't been in use. As far as I have read, Rodgers uses NLP to get the best from players and I would have thought Ronny would bring in a sports psychologist since he seemed to embrace sports science.

There does seem to be more wrong that just an absence of a sports psychologist. A CEO who seems to bring in money but then takes a fair chunk of it back out in salary and bonuses - is he actually bringing in enough for his salary and bonuses? - and who wastes his own time by trying to save a few hundred thousand off a signing when he could be spending that time wasted in bringing in more income. A major shareholder who seems to be the money man because he takes more out than anyone else though maybe I'm just being cynical and he had the contacts to bring about the Adidas deal (rather than a Castore deal... though if this was true, what was PL doing). A team manager who pays tribute to a former Scotland manager by playing no strikers, who plays players in wrong positions, who doesn't accept criticism, who seems incapable of changing things for the better during matches and whose idea of energising and cajoling the players is to sit on the bench for 89 minutes. An assistant manager who doesn't seem to be able to influence the manager.

Something else I am wondering is whether the 2019-2020 players are all still on reduced salaries and watching new players coming in. Is the signing of new players whilst the existing players had to take cuts having an effect on some of them? I would add that I'm not excusing them because, even on reduced salaries, most of them would probably have enough money to not work for the rest of their days after retiring. It probably wouldn't be as troublesome to the Celtic minded players but the others?
That's something I hadn't considered. No idea what happened with the deferring of or salary cuts. I'd assumed once season ticket money was in etc we were back on track but you never know. Must have missed that press release!

I would prefer we got a psychologist to assist him in the transition from a stingy bastard to actually backing the team, like his opposite numbers at Sevco do. If he did that, then I might overlook the utter fucking shite he talks. Nearly as bad as Philmabootswaypish claiming sevco are going bust every ten minutes for the last 8 years.

Tin hat on but i just don't buy into sports psychologists, did we not have Mcguinnes in from Donegal who practised this stuff and it hardly set the heather on fire ,your basically questioning your players mental health ,leaving them to think about what there lacking

Put in lay mens terms your questioning an athlete is he a loser ,is he lacking in certain depts ,how can he do better ,,,,getting off the chair and not talking would be the best start were starting to turn footballers into snowflakes

Desmond spouting nonsense he heard from Shevchenko the same guy who sold us on shved who we wouldn't play ,Desmond would be better shitting on the pot or get off and give someone else a go as this majority shareholder play thing is what's holding us back

When did he ever take in a game not mention a european tie why after 7 years of getting humped does he come out spouting this pish when the same problem happens year in year out ,,,,,,,Recruitment ,,,,,,,or the lack of it

all this pie in the sky pish of european leagues /atlantic leagues we'd still be out on our arse as our Ceo fiddles while Rome burns ,,,,,,every fkn year

I thought phsycologist rumour was just made up ,,,,,,christ i would love to be in the dressing room when that story got floated

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer we got a psychologist to assist him in the transition from a stingy bastard to actually backing the team, like his opposite numbers at Sevco do. If he did that, then I might overlook the utter fucking shite he talks. Nearly as bad as Philmabootswaypish claiming sevco are going bust every ten minutes for the last 8 years.

what you have to remember is that when the huns went bust we {celtic fc] went into a strategy of only spend what we can afford and dont rely on the likes of champs league qualifying money until its actually guaranteed hence when we have qualified we buy the better players, its a no win situation as we need the better player to qualify but wont risk our finance for the coming year on possibilities as the huns have and still do, should they not qualify for europe then they will certainly implode as they have no avenues left to go down, no support in the stadiums, a huge wage bill, and monies still to pay out on players brought in, we though have a decent team who will improve by the game, are self sufficient regarding finance, have no loans, and work on a strategy that we bring in what we can afford not what we cant afford and to hell with the debt.

I've been for this for years maybe it wouldve helped identify Griffith's problem earlier, definitely helped Andy Murray who is probably the highest profile sportsperson I can think of to have benefited from this approach. We are being kod from Europe whilst at the same time being told we are the best side our opponents have faced in Europe, rebrov, petrescu etc its not something we dont know results like lazio show we are more than capable of producing on that stage. We struggle with the favourites tag then we are deemed to have punched above our weight when we are underdogs. Anything that can help the side get an edge should be encouraged, Glenn hoddle ( horrible human being) was slaughtered for the idea years ago now its commonplace in sports and really is surprising that a club like Celtic hasnt explored the possibility of its potential benefits.

Sevco will go bust next year when we win the 10

Ah thot the big F was daein oor psycho talks on zoomer. Jokes aside I think it's amazing that we have not employed a sports psychologist full time. That is a marginal gain stitch on. Their value would have been seen in the LG stuff for starters. Saved a fortune we could have. And Fis if you could check oot our new shrinks qualifications I'd be grateful. Apart from that good points NJ and DD just says what billionaire businessmen say. No? HHerecomes theten!

Members online

Latest posts

Back