Did we fall into the SMSM trap over Christie?

If I was Christie I'd be questioning playing for the best fans in the world after the shit he's had to take this season, and the shit his dad's taken....and I'm one of the fans that gave it!! But I was angry at his dad's comments (that I had never actually read 🤦) and him apparently wanting away from the club. The whole squad has let us down and deserves our criticism but I'm ashamed to admit that Chritie recieved a bit more from me due to what his dad is supposed to have said.......
Correct me if I am wrong Lubos, but weren't them comments made after he became the darling of Scotland by scoring the goal that got them to the euros and playing his heart out, then coming back to us and showing in many of his performances that he couldn't give to hoots for our cause?

Correct me if I am wrong Lubos, but weren't them comments made after he became the darling of Scotland by scoring the goal that got them to the euros and playing his heart out, then coming back to us and showing in many of his performances that he couldn't give to hoots for our cause?

He was amongst players that where willing to run through walls to achieve history with scotland. He came back to a dressing room that was completely lacking in fight or confidence. Again, I'm not excusing him at all, he and the whole celtic machine failed this season.....but.....we screamed about our forwards trying to walk the ball into the net. We screamed about no one having the bottle to take their man on and have a pop at goal....at least christie tried to take people on, tried to take shots from distance. But with every failed shot and dribble he took abuse.

I think he's a smashing player...thrives on confidence
Hopefully he stays and the new manager builds him up to the standard the everyone himself included, expects 😎👍

Minted etc.
Having watched how he has performed the last couple of games I think he offski even though he has scored a couple recently when he does he doesn't seem that thrilled, scoring goals should be a joy not seen much of it from him. I think his development has also stalled, lennon wanted him to cut in on to hi left and shoot for goal this has become his one and only play, so a bit of a one trick pony, which is why he's scored fewer goals and his assists have suffered as well, defences have figured him out, so even if he does move south it won't be long till he's found out by better coaches. I think he will be sold without any problems, I just want a decent return for him. HH

This thread wasn't to question wether he was good enough or not this season. He wasn't. No one was. It was more a confession for myself. I hated more on Chritie because I believed he wasn't trying because he wanted away. And I believed that due to what his dad said. Well today I read what his dad said and it's nothing like what the media or some celtic fans were saying. Every season the media picks our best players and spread rumours and non-stories about them. But we as fans ignore it and back our players. We failed to do that for Christie this season. His confidence was low and all he recieved was abuse from the fans about his dad. That's a bit shit. It would definitely effect me if I was a player.

Having watched how he has performed the last couple of games I think he offski even though he has scored a couple recently when he does he doesn't seem that thrilled, scoring goals should be a joy not seen much of it from him. I think his development has also stalled, lennon wanted him to cut in on to hi left and shoot for goal this has become his one and only play, so a bit of a one trick pony, which is why he's scored fewer goals and his assists have suffered as well, defences have figured him out, so even if he does move south it won't be long till he's found out by better coaches. I think he will be sold without any problems, I just want a decent return for him. HH

Again, best fans and club in the world or not, if my dad was taking stick over stuff he didn't actually say then I probably wouldn't want to play for those fans either.

He was amongst players that where willing to run through walls to achieve history with scotland. He came back to a dressing room that was completely lacking in fight or confidence. Again, I'm not excusing him at all, he and the whole celtic machine failed this season.....but.....we screamed about our forwards trying to walk the ball into the net. We screamed about no one having the bottle to take their man on and have a pop at goal....at least christie tried to take people on, tried to take shots from distance. But with every failed shot and dribble he took abuse.
I agree as supporters we did let ourselves down with the level of abuse handed out to certain players.
Fine line between critism and abuse and out of frustration that increases and Taylor, duffy and Christie became the main focal ones no doubt.
Say it would also become easier not to play than to take to the field which can't be healthy for any team.
Change of management better bring about a whole new change in attitude for which I'm still not convinced about regarding Christie.

I think that is just how he is portrayed to be honest..he's a cocky character
I wouldnt be cocky after some of his performances this season,not a chance any EPL team will spunk 15 million on him ...he ll be headin back up the road to Pittodrie if he doesnt get the finger out.

I wouldnt be cocky after some of his performances this season,not a chance any EPL team will spunk 15 million on him ...he ll be headin back up the road to Pittodrie if he doesnt get the finger out.
With only a year left on his contract TS, I would say 5m could be the most we could expect or offer him a big pay rise to stay?
Would take the 5m if that lucky

Can I point out that I'm not for a second defending Christies season, he has absolutely failed, with the rest of the team. But out of all the players that have appeared to have sold the jersey, he has probably took most of the abuse from the fans. Last season he scored 20 and assisted 16. His confidence was up and the odd blast over the bar didn't matter because he put away some screamers.....but this season his confidence has been at an all time low with the rest of the squad. Has that been the cause of his poor performances??....not according to celtic fans...including me. And why?? Because he wants away?? He is protecting himself....and why do we think that?? Because his dad told us all so, didn't he??

"Ryan is very ambitious and he loves playing for Celtic. But I have no doubt there will be other clubs looking at him. To score 20 goals from midfield by March, it would be mad for scouts not to have him on their radar, and I mean at the very top level.

“I would temper that by saying that he’s having the time of his life at Celtic. He’s got a nice flat in a nice area of Glasgow and he says there’s a real bond in the changing room and he’s very close friends with a lot of guys in there.

"I think Ryan could play at that level, there are a lot of Celtic players who could. They have an abundance of talent. We watch the English Premier League and see how John McGinn has thrived, how Stuart Armstrong is doing so well. I just don’t think we give our players enough credit.”

Now I'm going to hold my hands up and say I never read Christies dad's comments before. I went along with the mob mentality and got angry over Christies alleged desire to move away. But reading his dad's comments he says nothing of the sort. Here is a dad praising the levels of Scottish players and praising his son. Why wouldn't he want his boy to earn 60 or 70 grand a week elsewhere?? He's seen other young Scots do it. All parents want the best for their kids.

As far as I'm aware, these quotes turned up in the Glasgow Times and were probably sold to the fans as a "Christie wants away from Celtic says his dad" article...and a lot of fans, like me, wouldn't want to give the media the clicks so only saw the headline.....have they completely done us. Have they made us direct anger at one of last seasons best players and shoot his confidence to absolute pieces??? Again I'm not excusing him.....but have we as fans fallen into a trap set by the media??
The number of times he was played out of position didnt help either imo especially when there were players who couldve played in his auxiliary position. I dont blame Christie for the shambles of a season any more than any other player. I do blame the management team for not using the players we had in their positions. All players have bad spells and the Christie snr thing didnt help , I think it is a fair point that the SMSM tried to sell us a pig in a poke and many bought it. Hes a player that's only recently broke into the starting XI and Scotland squad. His criticism was ott at times for me.

As I said, being on less than half the wage some of his team mates are will not help. Maybe he's got a shite agent. (Is it his Da?) Duffy was getting 30k a week. How much is Barkas on? Just 2 of the players that didnt pull their weight yet pick up the big bucks.
That situation is definitely Peter Lawwells fault.

As I said, being on less than half the wage some of his team mates are will not help. Maybe he's got a shite agent. (Is it his Da?) Duffy was getting 30k a week. How much is Barkas on? Just 2 of the players that didnt pull their weight yet pick up the big bucks.
Easiest way to cause a toxic changing room brimcbhoy when you throw money into the equation.
Like I mentioned before, I believe the players agreed to a pay cut, and got repayed with money wasted on overpaid flops with buys and loans.
Will always claim this was created as we were so blinded by the 10iar, but one that never suited PL traitor and the board.
The team spirit was broken as we saw with the lack of passion with goal celebrations and players downing tools with a few only interested in trying to promote themselves.
It still remains unbelievable to think PL traitor is still picking up a wage at the club with all the damage he has caused to us.
Get him to fuck out of the building NOW as it's 3 years to late as it is

All players get different wages in every team doesnae mean you chuck it fs or play hide n seek every game ,went right aff Christie.

Easiest way to cause a toxic changing room brimcbhoy when you throw money into the equation.
Like I mentioned before, I believe the players agreed to a pay cut, and got repayed with money wasted on overpaid flops with buys and loans.
Will always claim this was created as we were so blinded by the 10iar, but one that never suited PL traitor and the board.
The team spirit was broken as we saw with the lack of passion with goal celebrations and players downing tools with a few only interested in trying to promote themselves.
It still remains unbelievable to think PL traitor is still picking up a wage at the club with all the damage he has caused to us.
Get him to fuck out of the building NOW as it's 3 years to late as it is
Trouble is part of his remuneration is a big wedge of shares so he will probably have a seat on the board and the influence that comes with it. Unless the UEFA job he wants dictates he cannot sit on any board. I bet Dom would prefer him to not be hanging around the club overseeing his every move too.

All players get different wages in every team doesnae mean you chuck it fs or play hide n seek every game ,went right aff Christie.
Maybe so TS, but when you let Gordon, Hayes and jozo go which was morally wrong and all still had plenty to offer and wanted to stay, only to be replaced by even higher earning flops in there positions could hardly have went down well. Maybe Christie may have felt insulted by the club with not being offered bigger wages and thought fuck this as his performances would back that up

Last edited:
Trouble is part of his remuneration is a big wedge of shares so he will probably have a seat on the board and the influence that comes with it. Unless the UEFA job he wants dictates he cannot sit on any board. I bet Dom would prefer him to not be hanging around the club overseeing his every move too.
That bastard PL traitor having any further involvement in the club whatsoever is going to stall us from going forward imo.
Get him to fuck out now.

That bastard PL traitor having any further involvement in the club whatsoever is going to stall us from going forward imo.
Get him to fuck out now.
Wholeheartedly agree with you. And I would like to suggest he takes bankier with him too. To many members of the board are a waste of space. This little cabal of back-slappers aren't of the slightest use to the club. Only interested in their own little bit of the pie. In one word can be described as Amateurish, cannot even think of a single useful thing they bring to the club. HH.

Members online

Back