Donegal and Scotland

JimMc

I'd say a complete guess as to which county made up the majority of Irish in Scotland, could well be Donegal, but many another county in Ulster could be as likely, as many sailed from Donegal but were from Derry, and if you started looking at the old census the many in the poorest of times the Tattie-Hokers long before and after the famine by design, the starved masses from “Mayo, God Help Us!”

Anyway nice news might interest some if not news in Scotland main media.
https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2018/1019/1005368-scotland-donegal-trade/

Mines were from Galway but Russia before that apparently. Strong ass mix. ?

Mines were from Galway but Russia before that apparently. Strong ass mix. ?
That is a mix for the mind right enough.
Most of Galway was as poor as Mayo historically, the film the Field is set on the border, Leenane used to be part of Mayo in claim at least, hundred yards away is. Wild place that, there used to be Real Mountain men and real Poitín brewers in them hills and for generations.

Last edited:
Well that is perhaps right of Galway but if you think back then a voyage from Russia was for that type of person, i would think otherwise ?

But i do remember my gg aunt sophie who came as a child, she was a quality seamstress, i have seen photographs of her in well to do victorian garb (dare say she woulda laughed at my hot pants back in the day) and i always remember her being regarded as a real lady. She was because her manners and etiquette were first class and she would never let a slight pass her lips, she was very genteel.

She latterly, before my time owned a sweet shop in Coatbridge in the 40’s.

But i am unlike my gg aunt who i loved tremendously, i can raise my game or lower it.

My fathers lot had a bit my mothers lot were mental but kept it very real. I love both.

A Celtic fire in my very soul, i am as tough or as genteel as any situation may require and will always be judged accordingly lol

HH my good friend Jim ☘️

there is or used to be a supporters bus called SONS OF DONEGAL from the southside but dont know if its still goin.

Went to wesport 16 years ago me and my family also my brothers and sisters family's thier was about forty of us from Belfast corby in England reading England and holland a beautiful part of Ireland also a went the few miles to cong were the great film the quiet man was made.I'll go back one day good memories.

That is a mix for the mind right enough.
Most of Galway was as poor as Mayo historically, the film the Field is set on the border, Leenane used to be part of Mayo in claim at least, hundred yards away is. Wild place that, there used to be Real Mountain men and real Poitín brewers in them hills and for generations.
I stayed in that area upon a time. Kircubbin I think was the place handy for connemarà beautiful rugged country. Kylemore abbey is worth a visit if you're out that way.

It is commonly believed that, within a 20 minute drive from Glasgow cross there are 650000 people of Donegal descent

Your probably right my other halfs parents hailed from there and GC is less than tenty minutes from me. You would only have to look what at was in the areas from the early days, working mens modules at least 4 in the radius you highlighted, Moncur street,Abercrombie street, Mart street, Monteith Row all pubs frequented by the old slang name given at the time Navvies, 3 strong Chapel ties, saint Marys, Alphonus and sacred heart.then Paddys Market for second hand clothes, Barras Market and thats just in the east without goin to the South which is laso less than 20 minutes away the same would be found Irish Bars and working mens modules.

It is commonly believed that, within a 20 minute drive from Glasgow cross there are 650000 people of Donegal descent
Yes Toryglen in the south side of Glasgow was known as ‘little Donegal’

Your probably right my other halfs parents hailed from there and GC is less than tenty minutes from me. You would only have to look what at was in the areas from the early days, working mens modules at least 4 in the radius you highlighted, Moncur street,Abercrombie street, Mart street, Monteith Row all pubs frequented by the old slang name given at the time Navvies, 3 strong Chapel ties, saint Marys, Alphonus and sacred heart.then Paddys Market for second hand clothes, Barras Market and thats just in the east without goin to the South which is laso less than 20 minutes away the same would be found Irish Bars and working mens modules.

Well my east end bhoy, Coatbridge, known as little Ireland was practically built by the Irish.

May i remind you that not only do we hold the St Patricks Day parade each year ..... the lisbon lions saw fit to bring the european cup back to phil coles pub in Coatbridge upon arriving back in Glasgow. ???

Well my east end bhoy, Coatbridge, known as little Ireland was practically built by the Irish.

May i remind you that not only do we hold the St Patricks Day parade each year ..... the lisbon lions saw fit to bring the european cup back to phil coles pub in Coatbridge upon arriving back in Glasgow. ???
I know i was merely pointing we started out from Glasgow Cross because of the Clyde and we are now everywhere.bobby and jimmy.jpg

Back