Dundee Hibernian Vs The CHAMPIONS match thread

Was at Tannadice the last twice we won the league there. A 3-2 win in 1981 and 1-0 in 2008.
Tommy Burns scored the clinching 3rd goal in 81 on a freezing cold night in April. Venegoor of Hesselink scored the only goal in 08, game was a couple of days after TB's funeral which made the occasion very emotional.

Dundee hibs lubo?? Explain πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

"The origin of Dundee United lies in the establishment of a football club to fulfil the desire of the Irish immigrant community, which had gathered in Dundee by the early years of the 1900s. Earlier attempts to provide a focus for the Dundee Irish invariably failed until the formation of Dundee Hibernian.

The founding of the new Club was achieved through the efforts of a group of local businessmen with Irish origins, who began the process in the early months of 1909. The driving force behind the move was a local bicycle trader, Pat Reilly who would become the Club’s first Manager. Formed on 24th May 1909, Dundee Hibernian took over the lease of Clepington Park, immediately renaming it Tannadice Park, which has been the home of the Club ever since. Not surprising in view of the Irish connection, the colours chosen were green and white."

Bit of a copy and paste job there from united website.

Dundee Hibs starting in the same origin as Celtic. I believe they then went on to change their name to Dundee United....if I'm.wrong I'm sure one of our Dundee members will be kind enough to correct me....

Dundee Hibs sounds better, as does their history....its a shame that they seem to have chosen to forget their history, unlike Celtic, in order to be more "Scottish"....as Celtic have shown, its possible to be both. Remembering where you came from and where you are now.
I'm not sure if Dundee United celebrate their irishness at all anymore...again, maybe one our local Dundonian members can tell me 😁

Dundee Hibs sounds better, as does their history....its a shame that they seem to have chosen to forget their history, unlike Celtic, in order to be more "Scottish"....as Celtic have shown, its possible to be both. Remembering where you came from and where you are now.
I'm not sure if Dundee United celebrate their irishness at all anymore...again, maybe one our local Dundonian members can tell me 😁
I have never seen anything that celebrates the Irish origins of DUFC. I went to a lot of games at Dens and Tannadice. Never once saw an Irish flag or heard anyone reference Irishness.
Its DFC that worry me. Union Flags are not uncommon. They call themselves β€œDens Derry” and have their stupid Derry Rhumba song too.
I have asked many Dundee supporters what a City in the North of Ireland has to do with Dundee but no one can tell me. I stopped going to Dens because of it.
By the time Dundee Hibs were formed most Irish/Scots were already Celtic supporters especially in the Lochee area.

"The origin of Dundee United lies in the establishment of a football club to fulfil the desire of the Irish immigrant community, which had gathered in Dundee by the early years of the 1900s. Earlier attempts to provide a focus for the Dundee Irish invariably failed until the formation of Dundee Hibernian.

The founding of the new Club was achieved through the efforts of a group of local businessmen with Irish origins, who began the process in the early months of 1909. The driving force behind the move was a local bicycle trader, Pat Reilly who would become the Club’s first Manager. Formed on 24th May 1909, Dundee Hibernian took over the lease of Clepington Park, immediately renaming it Tannadice Park, which has been the home of the Club ever since. Not surprising in view of the Irish connection, the colours chosen were green and white."

Dundee Hibs starting in the same origin as Celtic. I believe they then went on to change their name to Dundee United....if I'm.wrong I'm sure one of our Dundee members will be kind enough to correct me....
Lubo, there is still a team playing out of God's own piece of Heaven in Little Tipp (Lochee) who can lay claim to being the Sons of Erin/Hibernia.........

The Dundee famous - Lochee Harp!!!

But, of course, you're spot on. United were born out of Dundee Hibernian in 1928. Still have a big Order of Hibernia representation in Dundee, but the arabs lost their credentials when they started wearing orange and employing rabid huns.

Awe there u go never too old to learn new info i never knew they had an irish connection always hated them aswell because of the orange top lol

Well well there you go...learned something new today Lubo.

Think I would rather we lost the last 2 games and won on goal difference…that would really fu ck with the Sevco heidsβ€¦πŸ˜‚
While I think that would be really hilarious I would still prefer we won our last 2 and they lost theirs. A 12pt gap looks a lot better and would piss the scum off even more.
With the 2nd string teams they’ll probably put out for the last 2 games it may indeed end up bigger than 6pts.

Back