EC SF 2nd Leg, The Morning after Prague.

Richybhoy

Here are a few snippets from the Daily Record 26/4/1967 after Celtic became the first team on this Island to make it to the final.

Celtic did yesterday what every great team in Britain in the past 10 years has tried to do and failed. And praise was pouring in last night for Celtic from every part of Britain......From Manchester where United boss Matt Busby, three times in the Eoropean Cup Semi Final, said, "First of all congratulations to Celtic, to Jock Stein, to everyone connected with the club THIS IS A TREMENDOUS ACHEIVEMENT, I know how difficult it is to get to the final of this tournament... because I've been in the semi final three times and failed".
And yet what makes the Celtic success even more outstanding is that this is the first time they have taken part in the premier European competition.
They have been in the Cup Winners Cup twice, reaching the SF each time, and they have played in the Fairs Cup. But this was their first appearance in the tournament Jock Stein calls THE BIG ONE.
The other managers who have reached the Semi-Finals paid tribute to Stein and his team. HUGH SHAW, who took Hibs to the semi-final in 1956 said, "I am delighted with Celtics success. They played splendidly and I think that now they are through to the final they can win the European Cup". Scot Symon, of Deidco, semi-finalists in 1960 said " This was a marvellous result both for Celtic and Scottish football. It was a tremendous performance".
BOB SHANKLY, of Hibs, who took Dundee to the semi finals in 1963, said "This is a magnificent result for Celtic, in my opinion they can well win the Cup now, no matter who they meet in the final". Liverpool manager BILL SHANKLY, whose team were in the semi final in 1965, sent Jock Stein a telegram before the game. And last night he said: " This is tremendous for Celtic and for all of Scotland. I hope Celtic get Inter in the final and beat them in Lisbon. If Deidco get the CWC too, and you remember Scotland at Wembely ITS GOING TO BE A GRAND SCOTTISH TREBLE" ( oh no it isna). Spurs boss Bill Nicholson: "It's a good result for Celtic, I wish them all the best in the final."
Glasgow Lord Provost John Johnston: "I am delighted with the result and we shall consider giving the team some form of Civic Reception, no matter the result in Lisbon"

Celtic have lost only four goals on their way to the final and have scored sixteen. These sixteen goals have been shared by Stevie Chalmers (4) Tommy Gemmell (3) Jimmy Johnstone (2) Willie Wallace (2) Bobby Lennox (2) Joe McBride (2) and Billy McNeil (1).
Their results have been:
1st Round, Zurich- 2-0 at Celtic Park, 3-0 in Switzerland
2nd Round, Nantes- 3-1 in France, 3-1 at Celtic Park
3rd Round, Vojvodina Novi Sad- 0-1 in Yugoslavia and 2-0 at Celtic Park
Semi Final, Dukla Prague, 3-1 at Celtic Park and 0-0 in Prague
In the other SF, Inter Milan have beaten Moscow Torpedo, Vassas Budapest, and the holders Real Madrid. The other semi finalist CSKA Sofia have beaten Silema Wanderers of Malta, Olympiakos of Greece, Vorwaerts from East Germany and Linfield.

TEAMS WHO FAILED
1955-56 Hibs lost to Rheims (France) 3-0
1956-57 Manchester United lost to Real Madrid 5-3
1957-58 Manchester United lost to A.C. Milan 5-2
1959-60 Deidco lost to Eintracht Frankfurt 12-4 ( they keep that quiet the pigs)
1961-62 Spurs lost to Benfica 5-4
1962-63 Dundee lost to A.C. Milan 5-2
1964-65 Liverpool lost to Inter-Milan 4-3
1965-66 Manchester United lost to Partizan Belgrade 2-1

It shows you how good Scottish football was back in the day, with the amount off teams that reached the semis, and how good our first 9 in a row was an unbelievable achievement then when teams were a lot stronger, the fact is we won the Big one the huns were runners up and killie got to the semis off fairs cup

It shows you how good Scottish football was back in the day, with the amount off teams that reached the semis, and how good our first 9 in a row was an unbelievable achievement then when teams were a lot stronger, the fact is we won the Big one the huns were runners up and killie got to the semis off fairs cup
And pretty much ever player at the clubs would have been Scottish, strange that the national team never achieved more in that era.

And pretty much ever player at the clubs would have been Scottish, strange that the national team never achieved more in that era.
A lot of people forget Hoopy just how big an accomplishment it was when Celtic won the European Cup.
We have a record from that day which IMO will never be repeated by any modern day team.
Every player who took to that pitch on 25th May 1967 was born within a 30 mile radius of Parkhead..

HH

Obviously a glorious part of our history, but I can't help but feel we should've won it at least another couple of times. With the benefit of hindsight it would probably have been better to get Leeds in the final instead of the semi in 1970. There would've been no complacency around that game. The English press would've fired us up.... Big Billy letting the ball run under his feet and then couldn't catch Prati.... Dixie's penalty miss.... So very near, and yet.... I guess that's what makes 1967 so special.

Here are a few snippets from the Daily Record 26/4/1967 after Celtic became the first team on this Island to make it to the final.

Celtic did yesterday what every great team in Britain in the past 10 years has tried to do and failed. And praise was pouring in last night for Celtic from every part of Britain......From Manchester where United boss Matt Busby, three times in the Eoropean Cup Semi Final, said, "First of all congratulations to Celtic, to Jock Stein, to everyone connected with the club THIS IS A TREMENDOUS ACHEIVEMENT, I know how difficult it is to get to the final of this tournament... because I've been in the semi final three times and failed".
And yet what makes the Celtic success even more outstanding is that this is the first time they have taken part in the premier European competition.
They have been in the Cup Winners Cup twice, reaching the SF each time, and they have played in the Fairs Cup. But this was their first appearance in the tournament Jock Stein calls THE BIG ONE.
The other managers who have reached the Semi-Finals paid tribute to Stein and his team. HUGH SHAW, who took Hibs to the semi-final in 1956 said, "I am delighted with Celtics success. They played splendidly and I think that now they are through to the final they can win the European Cup". Scot Symon, of Deidco, semi-finalists in 1960 said " This was a marvellous result both for Celtic and Scottish football. It was a tremendous performance".
BOB SHANKLY, of Hibs, who took Dundee to the semi finals in 1963, said "This is a magnificent result for Celtic, in my opinion they can well win the Cup now, no matter who they meet in the final". Liverpool manager BILL SHANKLY, whose team were in the semi final in 1965, sent Jock Stein a telegram before the game. And last night he said: " This is tremendous for Celtic and for all of Scotland. I hope Celtic get Inter in the final and beat them in Lisbon. If Deidco get the CWC too, and you remember Scotland at Wembely ITS GOING TO BE A GRAND SCOTTISH TREBLE" ( oh no it isna). Spurs boss Bill Nicholson: "It's a good result for Celtic, I wish them all the best in the final."
Glasgow Lord Provost John Johnston: "I am delighted with the result and we shall consider giving the team some form of Civic Reception, no matter the result in Lisbon"

Celtic have lost only four goals on their way to the final and have scored sixteen. These sixteen goals have been shared by Stevie Chalmers (4) Tommy Gemmell (3) Jimmy Johnstone (2) Willie Wallace (2) Bobby Lennox (2) Joe McBride (2) and Billy McNeil (1).
Their results have been:
In the other SF, Inter Milan have beaten Moscow Torpedo, Vassas Budapest, and the holders Real Madrid. The other semi finalist CSKA Sofia have beaten Silema Wanderers of Malta, Olympiakos of Greece, Vorwaerts from East Germany and Linfield.

TEAMS WHO FAILED
1959-60 Deidco lost to Eintracht Frankfurt 12-4 ( they keep that quiet the pigs)
Hibs and Dundee getting to the semis did not know that well done them....but our club for a good few years were one of the heavy weights of the European game back then achievements that will always be wrote about how we changed the face of the European game(well helped😁)

Hibs and Dundee getting to the semis did not know that well done them....but our club for a good few years were one of the heavy weights of the European game back then achievements that will always be wrote about how we changed the face of the European game(well helped😁)
Both Dundee teams have made the Semi-finals. Utd were blatantly cheated v Roma in 1984. Should've been the Arabs played Liverpool in the final. The Groebbelar wobbly legs final.
Deidco, 12-4 that's a fuckin doing. Shameful even.

Both Dundee teams have made the Semi-finals. Utd were blatantly cheated v Roma in 1984. Should've been the Arabs played Liverpool in the final. The Groebbelar wobbly legs final.
Deidco, 12-4 that's a fuckin doing. Shameful even.
Awe I never knew that either about utd for a wee country we fare held our own now look at us just happy to get thru qualifiers 😱

I’ve always thought this. I mean the Celtic squad alone then was the best in Europe, and they were all Scottish, so add to that the huns CWC winners in 70, how the fuck did you lot not get at least to a semi in the World Cup 66-74?? That Celtic team on its own could’ve probably won it! Football. It’s a funny old game.

Their results have been:

TEAMS WHO FAILED
I dont wish to be older as I'm old enough as it is but I do have a tinge of regret that i just missed out on those glory days when Scottish football was so dominant , born in 73 meant I was about 10 years born too late. Still I do remember the great Celtic side of the late 70s early 80s that beat Real Madrid 2nil at CP unfortunately losing the return 3nil and other great results. It's a classic example for me of how money has ruined the game for many proud footballing countries and clubs like Red star , Steaua etc. To think that Celtic, rangers and kilmarnock were all competing in Europe's 3 major tournaments at the semi final stage in the same season with both Glasgow clubs competing in the final is truly awesome

I dont wish to be older as I'm old enough as it is but I do have a tinge of regret that i just missed out on those glory days when Scottish football was so dominant , born in 73 meant I was about 10 years born too late. Still I do remember the great Celtic side of the late 70s early 80s that beat Real Madrid 2nil at CP unfortunately losing the return 3nil and other great results. It's a classic example for me of how money has ruined the game for many proud footballing countries and clubs like Red star , Steaua etc. To think that Celtic, rangers and kilmarnock were all competing in Europe's 3 major tournaments at the semi final stage in the same season with both Glasgow clubs competing in the final is truly awesome
Back then it really was the Champions league. Every team Celtic or Inter played, on the way to the final, were League winners.
There have been modern EC finals (Spurs v Liverpool) where the finalists have been champions of fuck all.

Last edited:
Back then it really was the Champions league. Every team Celtic or Inter played, on the way to the final, were League winners.
There have been modern EC finals (Spurs v Liverpool) where the finalists have been champions of fuck all.
When you start letting in 4 sometimes 5 clubs from one countries league automatically at the expense of champions from another European country the games a bogey and has been for years, it's just about to get worse than ever making it a closed shop for the same sides practically , people will lose interest , many folk and i myself have already lost interest . Every European nation should have1 ideally but no more than 2 clubs entered. The champions at a later stage and the runners up qualifying dependant upon their coefficients, which are also messed up as the big 5 always score more points because of the division they play in. That's wrong 100% its no easier to win the Scottish league than the English or Spanish because the level of the game is relevant. Only 1 club per nation should have automatic entry and runners up must fight it out v other runners up to make up the group stages. The whole thing makes me sick, man city with a squad costing a billion bucks, same for the spanish and other 3 leagues top clubs . I can honestly see the new European conference being more interesting just as the Europa league is, more competition, do away with the 3rd place safety net if you dont finish top 2 you're out of Europe. Grrr could rage about it for hours but I've already done that before so I'll spare you all HH

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back