Eddie Howe & Signings

I thought we had established that recruitment was the bailiwick of Hammond and Lawwell, both of whom are now gone. Lenny will get the blame for not turning the lights out next.
So does the manager not have over all pick no??they were all culpable

As much Cairnsybhoy as I disliked Lenny as our manager I think Lawwell played a big part in our failure to compete this season.
I dont believe for one minute that Lawwell consulted in Lenny I believe Hammond and him done all the signings, all they wanted from Lenny was positions which needed sorting,now every Celtic fan in the world has to suffer the humiliation of watching sevco winning the League because of an egotistical clown called Lawwell..

HH.
As av just said to vigo they were all culpable and does the manager not have overall pick on who comes in the end??

Sad reading some of these opinions. Too many still not doing their job, i.e. SUPPORTING the team/club.

I know very little about Howe or any other of the players or their respective traits and abilities to play for Celtic.

What I would venture though is chasing some dude, whether that be Howe, or any other, and being rejected for whatever English club is another knock at the Club's prestige. If Howe will be off at the first EPL suitor .......well he isn't worth getting.

We suffered a blow this season, no doubt. But for me it wasn't so massive, I know how difficult it is to beat ANY opponent on the pitch at ANY level, let alone win 9 league titles, and 4 back-to-back Trebles.

We or more accurately the club failed to prepare. A general observation.

The one identifiable mistake this season , and I think it is the only one that can be safely identified, is the signing of the Big guy Duffy. Genuinely nothing against the lad and in a different team of different style, he would be ok. perhaps a MON team ?

Here's what happened to one aspect of our season imho. The defeat in CL kicked us in the teeth.
After a luke-warm start in the league we lost a goal to big lumbering forwards. The pen at Killie and one at Hamilton. We drew and won these matches respectively.

The opposition forwards, upset Celtic's ball-playing centre backs, nothing else. Celtic had the best defensive record last season. Hence the trophies btw. No big guy will 100% win against another large lump. These facts were not enough for us.

The furore that followed caught like wild-fire and IMHO some of our "entitled" fans, well, they shat it.

That was the cause of the mistake. The ACTUAL mistake was made by whoever in the Celtic football management team listened to our support. Someone therein actually listened to our support greeting on ....and you can insert any SMSM outlet you want here. Is ate that because it is the ONLY avenue open to the person, as there are no fans in the ground to hear. As a result Big Duffy arrived.

I know nothing about the Bhoy personally or football wise other than he is not a football playing CB. Celtic were still a footballing side then. We had been more pragmatic in style under NFL, as opposed to Brendan. Big Shane's lesser ability (football wise) and the effect on the team was the cause.

Someone listened to Celtic fan's hubris, or more exactly the build up in entitlement that all the trophies had created. Ironic huh ?

The stupidity of Gordon (exit) -Varkas* (too big a change for the guy) - Forster's ( failure to spend btw) cost us. I'd really love to know if Craig's exit was linked to drumming up the cash for Forster.

For me I'll be happy if we Tims remember what made us strong, togetherness, being the under-dog, but essentially the reaction to that underdog status.........fight.

Keep the club what it is bring through our own and don't hike them off to Arsenal ffs. Otherwise you get mercenaries and piss the money away.

* I like Greece visit it often. But the idea of a guy living in Athens, then plying his trade up here, in the frozen north was always risky. For a goalie it was too big a risk. Those who have stood up at Lennoxtown will realise the cold win that freezes yer haw-maws, will get what I'm on about. Contrast it with the temperature in Hellas.

Last edited:
Sad reading some of these opinions. Too many still not doing their job, i.e. SUPPORTING the team/club.

I know very little about Howe or any other of the players or their respective traits and abilities to play for Celtic.

What I would venture though is chasing some dude, whether that be Howe, or any other, and being rejected for whatever English club is another knock at the Club's prestige. If Howe will be off at the first EPL suitor .......well he isn't worth getting.

We suffered a blow this season, no doubt. But for me it wasn't so massive, I know how difficult it is to beat ANY opponent on the pitch at ANY level, let alone win 9 league titles, and 4 back-to-back Trebles.

The one identifiable mistake this season , and I think it is the only one that can be safely identified, is the signing of the Big guy Duffy. Genuinely nothing against the lad and in a different team of different style, he would be ok. perhaps a MON team ?

Here's what happened to one aspect of our season imho. The defeat in CL kicked us in the teeth.
After a luke-warm start in the league we lost a goal to big lumbering forwards. The pen at Killie and one at Hamilton. We drew and won these matches respectively.

The opposition forwards, upset Celtic's ball-playing centre backs, nothing else. Celtic had the best defensive record last season. Hence the trophies btw. No big guy will 100% win against another large lump. These facts were not enough for us.

The furore that followed caught like wild-fire and IMHO some of our "entitled" fans, well, they shat it.

That was the cause of the mistake. The ACTUAL mistake was made by whoever in the Celtic football management team listened to our support. Someone therein actually listened to our support greeting on ....and you can insert any SMSM outlet you want here. Is ate that because it is the ONLY avenue open to the person, as there are no fans in the ground to hear. As a result Big Duffy arrived.

I know nothing about the Bhoy personally or football wise other than he is not a football playing CB. Celtic were still a footballing side then. We had been more pragmatic in style under NFL, as opposed to Brendan. Big Shane's lesser ability (football wise) and the effect on the team was the cause.

Someone listened to Celtic fan's hubris, or more exactly the build up in entitlement that all the trophies had created. Ironic huh ?

The stupidity of Gordon (exit) -Varkas* (too big a change for the guy) - Forster's ( failure to spend btw) cost us. I'd really love to know if Craig's exit was linked to drumming up the cash for Forster.

For me I'll be happy if we Tims remember what made us strong, togetherness, being the under-dog, but essentially the reaction to that underdog status.........fight.

Keep the club what it is bring through our own and don't hike them off to Arsenal ffs. Otherwise you get mercenaries and piss the money away.

* I like Greece visit it often. But the idea of a guy living in Athens, then plying his trade up here, in the frozen north was always risky. For a goalie it was too big a risk. Those who have stood up at Lennoxtown will realise the cold win that freezes yer haw-maws, will get what I'm on about. Contrast it with the temperature in Hellas.
Dead on lenny

Welcome aboard BCW

Yes welcome BCW. But have you perchance been indulging in any intoxicating beverages? Someone in Celtic Football Club ‘listened to the support’ and as a result Duffy showed up?
Remind me of the last time the bunch of arrogant tosspots that inhabit the boardroom ever listened to the support?
As for Duffy himself I don’t recall the support clamoring for his signature specifically before he arrived. Did we need another CB? Yup. Did it have be Duffy? Nope. The management fkd that up by themselves. That’s one thing they’re good at.
You’re right in what you say about the keepers fiasco though. Then again there’s another example of the management screwing things up all by themselves.
😚😀

Have trouble agreeing with most of that. To build a team around Ajeti and Klimala.?? YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRINKING THIS EARLY IN THE DAY.
Maybe I should have said squad.

I personally see something in Kilmala, hunger! Yes he runs around like a headless chicken but if you ever watched Jamie Vardy in his younger day for Halifax etc this exactly what he did. A good manager then sorted him out and built a team around him.

Kilmala is 22 and has only made 18 appearances for us mostly 5mins here and there. His record for Poland U21s is very impressive played 9 scored 4. However we gush about Edouard's form for France U21s who is in a much better team.

Kilmala & Edouard should have played together this season (in my view).

Trying to get a new manager into Celtic takes ages.
I’m beginning to think Eddie Howe is H from Line of Duty.😂
It’s took that long to get the deal over the line.😡
Or is it Richard Hughes?😂
I can see us finishing up with H from Steps.

Maybe I should have said squad.

I personally see something in Kilmala, hunger! Yes he runs around like a headless chicken but if you ever watched Jamie Vardy in his younger day for Halifax etc this exactly what he did. A good manager then sorted him out and built a team around him.

Kilmala is 22 and has only made 18 appearances for us mostly 5mins here and there. His record for Poland U21s is very impressive played 9 scored 4. However we gush about Edouard's form for France U21s who is in a much better team.

Kilmala & Edouard should have played together this season (in my view).
To be fair CR I was more concerned with the Ajeti reference. The sooner he is gone the happier I will be. I see him as a complete waste of space. A chancer in my opinion and whilst he is on the park we cannot be creative. Just my opinion though. Klimala as a younger squad player may develop with coaching. Ajeti is another Bangoura for me....

Last edited:
So the ‘complications’ with Howe have started already....after an ‘agreement’ was supposedly reached.
Eff this. I’m tired of this shit. It’s everything and everytime.

Im all for eddie howe but if its true he wants hughes as dof then i would walk away,the manager doesent pick the dof,the other way about ,might just be rumours but if true it wouldnt be something i would go for.

Yes welcome BCW. But have you perchance been indulging in any intoxicating beverages? Someone in Celtic Football Club ‘listened to the support’ and as a result Duffy showed up?
Remind me of the last time the bunch of arrogant tosspots that inhabit the boardroom ever listened to the support?
As for Duffy himself I don’t recall the support clamoring for his signature specifically before he arrived. Did we need another CB? Yup. Did it have be Duffy? Nope. The management fkd that up by themselves. That’s one thing they’re good at.
You’re right in what you say about the keepers fiasco though. Then again there’s another example of the management screwing things up all by themselves.
😚😀
Have a read at your comments Barrowfieldbhoy. Then reflect on the term "support".
And no I haven't been drinking; strange welcome, but then you presumably grew up in Spur or Torch territory. .
I can substantiate my reasons, to do that, would involve a detailed chronology of events and probably bore everyone.
I can recall a clamour on several occasions for a "good decent no nonsense centre back" from many Celtic supporters. Notably after the PSG humbling and last season after the 2 matches I referenced, when the term bullied was being applied to Ajer and Julien.
The banality of offering "a good decent no nonsense centre back" as the solution to Neymar et al and those who advocate such stupidity is a danger of fans having a voice.
Some are too slow perhaps even stupid to credit the club with the last decade of triumph.

Members online

Latest posts

Back