Erwin Rommel or Bernard Montgomery

JimMc

Erwin Rommel born November 15, 1891
Bernard Montgomery born November 17, 1887

Both born in November which is kind of interesting.

Leaving aside the reality that Montgomery was not always quite the brave gallant hero the british crown historians and media make out. Montgomery for example had no problem burning ordinary Irish family houses to the ground, at least any Irish of that huge democratic majority in Ireland of the time who disagreed with his colonial politics, monty it seems never cared who got hurt and burned out, even if meant supressing democracy itself, all so very hitler youth like!
https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/ethnic-cleansing/

While on the contrary, it appears that considered history has Rommel as the more reasonable and less eager to enforce extremes!

So leaving aside sir monty was a bit of a cowardly skinny cartoon-rat-look-a-like thug but one who had behind him more and bigger guns, I'd be interested in your thoughts and considered decision on who would have made the better captain for Celtic, if events had of turned our differently!

Rommel without doubt. Monty was a very strange man. Look into his relationship with a fourteen year old Swiss boy. It's not right. So for me, I would have Erwin as Celtic captain. Monty being inbred British aristocracy would never have signed for us.
HH
Rich

Glasgow Celtic Birthday coming up.
6 November 1887, Calton, Glasgow

@CelticGraves event coming up soon so mind yer brolly. Mark it in your diary its before the Hearts game. Saturday 3rd November at 12 noon in Dalbeth to honour of another of our founding fathers Dr John Conway. JHKZu0qW.jpg

Erwin Rommel born November 15, 1891
Bernard Montgomery born November 17, 1887

Both born in November which is kind of interesting.

Leaving aside the reality that Montgomery was not always quite the brave gallant hero the british crown historians and media make out. Montgomery for example had no problem burning ordinary Irish family houses to the ground, at least any Irish of that huge democratic majority in Ireland of the time who disagreed with his colonial politics, monty it seems never cared who got hurt and burned out, even if meant supressing democracy itself, all so very hitler youth like!
https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/ethnic-cleansing/

While on the contrary, it appears that considered history has Rommel as the more reasonable and less eager to enforce extremes!

So leaving aside sir monty was a bit of a cowardly skinny cartoon-rat-look-a-like thug but one who had behind him more and bigger guns, I'd be interested in your thoughts and considered decision on who would have made the better captain for Celtic, if events had of turned our differently!
That was a good article on that Website. Thanks for putting it up
HH Rich

Rommel without doubt. Monty was a very strange man. Look into his relationship with a fourteen year old Swiss boy. It's not right. So for me, I would have Erwin as Celtic captain. Monty being inbred British aristocracy would never have signed for us.
HH
Rich

Googled that, and yes that looks and reads very disturbingly.
If so then just another among the many crowns' knights who were in reality sexual deviants, criminal perverts and sadist thugs of the most supposed noble perverse highest orders.
That many of them 'outed' in recent years, enough to wonder was it the standard or compulsory.

The English/british public school system was for centuries based around systemic child abuse, little wonder then one consequence was a military and political elite class, who considered the ordinary mere working classes as existing primarily as a resource to be used for their careers.

Big Erwin all day I would play him up top ( in a tank) he would blitzkrieg all defences before him? Don't think he's captain material he could always play midfield and be the general (boom boom)

Let me think a general that drove the Nazi death machine or a general that imposed British imperialism feckin hard choice.
GTF with this thread! is this thread a wind up! ?

Are you on the drink the day Jim? Some very strange postings???
No, thankfully I don't drink alcohol on any regular basis or have ever in need or just to get drunk basis for years and to pre-empt in case of any other rather strange personal questioning line of posting nor ever been on or need or want any other form of drugs either.

but if you really want to start wondering then consider -
That every posting on here or anywhere online ever read by anyone is very strange, impossible if thought about in context of the individual abilities of any one person anywhere, so maybe its all a dream or just a series of numbers but that's another subject.

For here and now though, just Rommel or Monty, I thought the question most appropriate from reading posts on here, so I'd be interested in thoughts and considered decisions on who would have made the better captain for Celtic, if events had of turned our differently!

Last edited:
Sorry jim what's to decide? Thought my post was quite clear.

Ok so take it you can't decide between Rommel or Monty, looks like Rommel has an unassailable lead, so no worries.

What's next Napoleon v Wellington
Napoleon done more for common people than Wellington ever did.

Good idea, while I'd generally agree about Napoleon, and a interesting point about Napoleon was he was not short, certainly not shorter than average for the time, by accounts he was above average height, I'd guess then like now british crown propaganda excelled at lies and invention for purpose, but no that match up does not quite fit into keeping this inline and online.

James Connolly Or Michael Collins
I see some at Hibernian FC once upon a time literally meant The Irish FC. claim Connolly as their man, but let's not forget people generally can change as they age, for good or worse. Connolly by accounts was also once like many another Irishman in the British army, possibly like many it was the only regular paid job he thought at the time he could get, by some accounts he may have changed sides or mindset or tactics call it whatever though hands on experience like some say Collins did in different circumstances but for generally the same ends. Besides Broony is a great Celtic Captain, definitely once a Hibs man.
Be interesting to read your thoughts and considered decision on who would have made the better captain for Celtic, if events had of turned our differently!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with having threads about history. A bit strange though when comparing Rommel v Monty that Ireland is brought into it though. What had that to do with their head to head as generals when they slugged it out in Libya?

In the context of the war, I would have preferred we had Rommel and they had Monty, who I think was too hesitant as well as an irritating little cunt. Rommel was involved in trying to get rid of Hitler and killed for it.

As for who would have been the best captain for us? We might as well compare Batman v Spider-Man.

Nothing wrong with having threads about history.
Great that's encouraging to read, I was hoping this fits in to what's generally acceptable.

Nothing wrong with having threads about history. A bit strange though when comparing Rommel v Monty that Ireland is brought into it though. What had that to do with their head to head as generals when they slugged it out in Libya?
Aha but maybe someone knows if it was relevant? that was the general point in the asking.

But as for strange! What is it with this word strange on here? Everything in this world is strange, just got to open our minds to see that all is strange, people drinking the rehydrated dried leaves of a tea and many another plant, others smoking leaves, berries and foods growing from trees for us to eat, clouds in the sky, raindrops, sand that disappears under the tide, an eternity of shiny and less visible things apparently more apparent in a night sky, young children and old people struggling to stand up but for different reasons, all is strange. Did you know that Cattle kill more people in Ireland and the Island of Britain than dogs and sharks combined, very strange maybe that people are generally unaware of the dangers, but more likely just closed minds because Hollywood keeps dismissing the idea of a movie.
Strange - the only thing credibly strange by logical definition is a generally perceived 'normal'

Anyway back inline
In the context of the war, I would have preferred we had Rommel and they had Monty, who I think was too hesitant as well as an irritating little cunt. Rommel was involved in trying to get rid of Hitler and killed for it.
So another for Rommel.

As for who would have been the best captain for us? We might as well compare Batman v Spider-Man.

A great thought Batman on the wing and Spiderman in goal and sadly likely used for spinning PR for the PLC, but and I may be wrong, but fair certain they are animated characters from drawings that were imagined, and even in different circumstances they don't quite fit in here.

so for now
James Connolly Or Michael Collins

Both fittingly of course present for Pearse's declaration of a Irish Republic outside the GPO (General Post Office) 1916, but by some accounts one was there at that time more so because of persuasion, some accounts suggest initially the physical persuasion of others, one of whom claimed to have physically been persuading was the other of these two choices.
who would have made the better captain for Celtic, if events had of turned out differently

Last edited:
Hmmmm......the calculated ruthless Nazi with a pathological sense of superiority or the calculated ruthless Imperialist with a pathological sense of superiority?

I'm going to go with neither since both of them were a pair of puffed-up w*****s who expected everyone else to put their bodies on the line while they dodged the heat of battle by hiding out at the back barking out orders, well that and the whole Nazi/Imperialist thing (n)

Now Batman v Spider Man, there's a debate :ROFLMAO:

Members online

Latest posts

Back