Exercise: Pick 12 teams to form a Euro Super League

lcafiero

This was an interesting exercise that popped up on the Twitter radar:

"After this crisis you can choose ANY 12 teams to form a new EUROPEAN PREMIER LEAGUE...who are you choosing?"

What would those 12 teams be?

Mine are (in no particular order, except for the first):

Celtic
Liverpool
Manchester United
Barcelona
Paris St Germain
Athletic Bilbao
Juventus
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Inter Milan
Ajax
And one of the following: AEK, Atalanta, Arsenal, Marseilles, Real Madrid, Olympiakos, St Pauli (yes, I said it).

"After this crisis you can choose ANY 12 teams to form a new EUROPEAN PREMIER LEAGUE...who are you choosing?"

Celtic
Liverpool
Manchester United
Barcelona
Paris St Germain
Athletic Bilbao
Juventus
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Inter Milan
Ajax
And one of the following: AEK, Atalanta, Arsenal, Marseilles, Real Madrid, Olympiakos, St Pauli (yes, I said it).
I would always go by european pedigree ranking for this rather than the petrol/ financial giants and obviously I'd have to put Celtic in there (who would come in joint 13th most successful anyway on account of the 2 appearances in the big cup final)
1. Real Madrid
2. AC Milan
3. Liverpool
4. Bayern Munich
5. Barcelona
6. Ajax
7. Inter Milan
8. Man Utd
9. Juventus
10. Benfica
11. Porto
12. Celtic

This list is compiled on wins plus appearances in the champions cup/league final and the chronological order they achieved it. Celtic are replacing Nottingham Forest here but only move up 1 place in doing so Forest would be 12th were I not a tim, as they won it twice to our 1+1. I'm stunned you dont have real Madrid in automatically but hey it's your list.

I've always wondered if an NFL type set-up with a massive one-off event like The Superbowl is how a European Super League would look like.

32 teams in a divisional regular season before the play-offs and then the final.

Even if you take that scenario, the winner is only going to play a maximum of 18 games, so there is still scope for each club to play domestically if their own prime leagues were 16-teams strong.

UEFA or the G-14 clubs will have looked st the revenue each NFL game generates and wonder how they can't have a slice of that pie too.

The above teams would have made great leagues 10-20 yrs ago , but since the crazy money was thrown at football they exciting picks look dull as feck

Most just now are always in the last 16 of the champions league and the games are dull ,lifeless games little excitement or atmosphere

The above teams would have made great leagues 10-20 yrs ago , but since the crazy money was thrown at football they exciting picks look dull as feck

Most just now are always in the last 16 of the champions league and the games are dull ,lifeless games little excitement or atmosphere
It's sad that teams like Red Star, Dukla Prague, St Etienne, Anderlecht, Dinamo Kiev, Feyenoord, Steua Bucharest and countless others are looked down upon as 'also-rans' in the era of financially doped leagues and teams.

In spite of the cons of this current crisis, I'm hoping that one of the pros, is that football recognises that these teams are vital in supporting young talent and also in giving pride to the communities and countries they are based in.

Chelsea and Man city? Fuck that.......give me good old-fashioned 'big clubs' any day of the week.

Celtic
Liverpool
Manchester United
Barcelona
Paris St Germain
Athletic Bilbao
Juventus
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Inter Milan
Ajax
Put Real Madrid in ,Swap Bilbao for Athletico Madrid 😉

Th
It's sad that teams like Red Star, Dukla Prague, St Etienne, Anderlecht, Dinamo Kiev, Feyenoord, Steua Bucharest and countless others are looked down upon as 'also-rans' in the era of financially doped leagues and teams.

In spite of the cons of this current crisis, I'm hoping that one of the pros, is that football recognises that these teams are vital in supporting young talent and also in giving pride to the communities and countries they are based in.

Chelsea and Man city? Fuck that.......give me good old-fashioned 'big clubs' any day of the week.
That's whats missing in all these days, teams that played fitba , the underdogs teams who played for the love of the game and had the odd gem amongst there ranks that got opposition fans talkin about them long after the games were gone

History was lost lost in european football when it became a play thing for the oligarchs , Dukla ,Red star all the teams we heard as kids/youths are all but bit part players ,a rich history trampled over

Times moved on and the phannie bling brigade players moved in ,the brand and the profile were more important than talent and development ,,,,,it's sells shirts,,,, fk me if ever a statement screamed football had lost it's way and sold it's soul

they'll be hand picked to ,given that TV demands it
But Fifa were basically saying that the champions league was making the bigger teams untouchable with the rest not having a hope of ever winning the competition. But they actually name checked Celtic as one of the teams they would like in their competition along with other clubs of that size who would then have access to the sort of money that uefa has to offer.

But Fifa were basically saying that the champions league was making the bigger teams untouchable with the rest not having a hope of ever winning the competition. But they actually name checked Celtic as one of the teams they would like in their competition along with other clubs of that size who would then have access to the sort of money that uefa has to offer.
The whole thing defo needs revamped it's lookin past it's sell by date , some french fell a few yrs ago did a study of the top supported clubs who carried history and would make up a european super league ,can't find it but do a search
The guys idea on paper looked great and gave a whole breakdown as how saw revenue a TV rights distributed fairley even down to transfer budgets and financial requirements to enter the league

The whole thing defo needs revamped it's lookin past it's sell by date , some french fell a few yrs ago did a study of the top supported clubs who carried history and would make up a european super league ,can't find it but do a search
The guys idea on paper looked great and gave a whole breakdown as how saw revenue a TV rights distributed fairley even down to transfer budgets and financial requirements to enter the league
It's the 'new fans' and the market in the far east and Africa that has inflated the importance of the non-entities in England and even Spain, Kelly.

On a fairly level playing field, not one of these cash enhanced clubs could come remotely close to the appeal of Celtic and our more traditional fan base.

I often wonder about the Bournemouth or Burnley supporters clubs in Australasia, South America, North America and throughout the rest of the world?

Can't remember the last (or first) time I saw a wee African lad nippin aboot in a Southampton or Watford tap?

Kinda remember seeing a few hooped ones right enough.

The group that owns man city are looking at Nancy to pump money into. The games becoming a bogey quick style

1. Celtic
2. Barcelona
3. Real Madrid
4. Bayern Munich
5. Juventus
6. AC Milan
7. Liverpool
8. Man Utd
9. Ajax
10. PSG
11. Benfica
12. Forfar Athletic

The reality is it would be full of teams like Man City, Chelsea, etc.

I actually think this pandemic and crisis for sports tv channels might precipitate football's "Kerry Packer" moment when a group of "big" (rich) teams from around the world might break away to form a Super Duper Soccer League.

1. Celtic
2. Barcelona
3. Real Madrid
4. Bayern Munich
5. Juventus
6. AC Milan
7. Liverpool
8. Man Utd
9. Ajax
10. PSG
11. Benfica
12. Forfar Athletic

Atletico Forfar! mon the Bridie!!!!!!,oh, and why can't i get a real Forfar Bridie in Glesga Bridie? yeez keepin them fur yersel's? 🍺

Atletico Forfar! mon the Bridie!!!!!!,oh, and why can't i get a real Forfar Bridie in Glesga Bridie? yeez keepin them fur yersel's? 🍺
Aye. You only get them in Farfir. It has to be shortcrust pastry (from McLarens, not Saddlers), none of this flakey pastry shite - that's just a misshapen sausage roll! I have to stock up whenever I go home instead of these imposter "bradie" pish you get up here in Aberdeenshire!

1. Celtic
2. Barcelona
3. Real Madrid
4. Bayern Munich
5. Juventus
6. AC Milan
7. Liverpool
8. Man Utd
9. Ajax
10. PSG
11. Benfica
12. Forfar Athletic

I actually think this pandemic and crisis for sports tv channels might precipitate football's "Kerry Packer" moment when a group of "big" (rich) teams from around the world might break away to form a Super Duper Soccer League.
can they no build a big disinfected stadium with a glass dome to keep out the germs and have a virus detention set of security stewards with the ET lab tech outfits scanning people and just exterminating them on the spot

that way only desirable clientele get in to watch the soccer

even have ad breaks every 5 mins to generate more commercial rewards for the players

get a whole day out of it that way

instead of lasting 2 hours

each team can call time out 20 times per game and extra stoppages for var checks

get an ad in while they manipulate the digital image to suit the biggest bid

Back