Fast attacking football

dungloe67

I'm watching the Leeds Utd v Derby match.
Earlier on this season, and certainly over the past few years, I can remember Celtic playing fast attacking football.
Now we are watching slow laborious football from the back.
What has happened?

Earlier on this season, and certainly over the past few years, I can remember Celtic playing fast attacking football.
What has happened?

Its like the life was sucked out of us for sure.

I defo want to see fast moving football from us. Restrict predictability and bang the goals in again at speed.

No more playing football in your own backyard,it’s ok if your winning comfortably,not when the high press is on. Let’s see the return of attacking football played at pace, and bring in players that can do that,we have become sluggish and stereotyped, big shake up needed, and quickly, not at the last minute

No more playing football in your own backyard,it’s ok if your winning comfortably,not when the high press is on. Let’s see the return of attacking football played at pace, and bring in players that can do that,we have become sluggish and stereotyped, big shake up needed, and quickly, not at the last minute

Agreed, they have been playing this way for that long now we will need to change the mindset and God only knows if their up to that task.

There is no doubt we are now characterized by fifty passes along the back line, teams pressing because they know we have a few slip ups in us. After you put the kettle on and fix yourself a peece the ball reaches our midfield and they look at the opposition, decide not to take them on and pass it back, giving you time to prepare a marinade for ribs, before starting the eye numbing routine all over again.

We miss Christie. Calmac has lost his zip of late. In fact our whole midfield seem to be holding players now. The playing out of defence with Lustig and Hayes is dangerous and Ajer too is prone to awful forward passing that leaves you exasperated at how infrequently the ball passed lands at our players without them being surrounded.

Pressing us works because we never take a man on to break through it. No one takes the responsibility. There is a fear now thstvwasnt there. But thecanswer to that is clear. We don’t have Roberts, Armstrong or Dembelle to run at them or hold the ball up.

KT running at them is also a massive loss. Sincy and his powerful first season runs are a distant memory too. We need players who can attack at speed. I remember reading a Sevconian on FF talk about how fast we attacked from defence. That’s totally gone now.

And that is exactly what we need to return. All this 500 passes before we get to the final third is like watching paint dry. It allows teams to get organised and if we don’t have players who can dribble and open them up it ends with a lump into areas too well defended.

In seasons past, my planner would be mostly filled with our games taped. This season I have one game. That sums up to me where we are. Not worth the space on the planner because watching it once was hard enough.

Letting us get to this position of requiring major surgery when we are going for 10iar is nothing short of fucking incompetence and complacency. Letting they bastards catch up while the board and Rogers played the lute, is a feature of our inability to keep moving very forward and recognising being the best requires investment.

Losing twice to them in the way we did is a very many big chickens coming home to roost as we all knew they would. Or should have.

There is no doubt we are now characterized by fifty passes along the back line, teams pressing because they know we have a few slip ups in us. After you put the kettle on and fix yourself a peece the ball reaches our midfield and they look at the opposition, decide not to take them on and pass it back, giving you time to prepare a marinade for ribs, before starting the eye numbing routine all over again.

We miss Christie. Calmac has lost his zip of late. In fact our whole midfield seem to be holding players now. The playing out of defence with Lustig and Hayes is dangerous and Ajer too is prone to awful forward passing that leaves you exasperated at how infrequently the ball passed lands at our players without them being surrounded.

Pressing us works because we never take a man on to break through it. No one takes the responsibility. There is a fear now thstvwasnt there. But thecanswer to that is clear. We don’t have Roberts, Armstrong or Dembelle to run at them or hold the ball up.

KT running at them is also a massive loss. Sincy and his powerful first season runs are a distant memory too. We need players who can attack at speed. I remember reading a Sevconian on FF talk about how fast we attacked from defence. That’s totally gone now.

And that is exactly what we need to return. All this 500 passes before we get to the final third is like watching paint dry. It allows teams to get organised and if we don’t have players who can dribble and open them up it ends with a lump into areas too well defended.

In seasons past, my planner would be mostly filled with our games taped. This season I have one game. That sums up to me where we are. Not worth the space on the planner because watching it once was hard enough.

Letting us get to this position of requiring major surgery when we are going for 10iar is nothing short of fucking incompetence and complacency. Letting they bastards catch up while the board and Rogers played the lute, is a feature of our inability to keep moving very forward and recognising being the best requires investment.

Losing twice to them in the way we did is a very many big chickens coming home to roost as we all knew they would. Or should have.

A lot in your post i have to agree with, sadly wish i didn’t.

Here’s hoping we kick on and get the readies overdue and shorted previously time n time again and strengthen like we mean business.

Hopefully we will get a manager ready to inflict fast paced forward thinking, winning and exciting football and stop this predictable boring tippy tappy pish going nowhere.

HH ☘️

A lot in your post i have to agree with, sadly wish i didn’t.

Here’s hoping we kick on and get the readies overdue and shorted previously time n time again and strengthen like we mean business.

Hopefully we will get a manager ready to inflict fast paced forward thinking, winning and exciting football and stop this predictable boring tippy tappy pish going nowhere.

HH ☘️

Believe me, I wish it wasn’t true either. But I said last year it wouldn’t be Sevco who fucked us up. It would be us. And unless we finally get the fucking finger out they will scupper us.

They two defeats have to herald a change of approach. Two years doing absolutely fuck all in any area of business when glaring inadequacies are clearly evident is reckless to the point of criminal negligence.

Its the manner in which we lost those games verdict.

Even when TB team was getting cheated left right n bloody centre they always put up a fight. They always went out to win.

I think this negative boring football brought in by rodgers has sucked the life and sapped the confidence of players who seem reluctant to take opponents on.

The amount of passes we fkd up at the weekend was criminal.

An old folks home coulda completed more.

Thats the sad n shameful thing. Nae fight

Is it the amount of football a lot of our top players have played that is now showing in the lack of pace in our game. Mixed with the much lesser quality of their replacements I think this could be significant. I have no objection to our possession based approach but it has to be done at pace and involve constant movement from the players not in possession. I remember a goal we scored earlier this season(I think) when we made numerous attempts to breach a defence down each touchline only to be thwarted by the defenders. We played it back and across at pace and with good options being created ahead by good movement. This went on for a good 5 minutes without the opposition touching the ball until a hole opened in the middle of the defence and then bang! Two quick passes - goal. We are now not moving the ball at the same pace and there is a lack of movement or options ahead.
Get the TT over with, get a good rest and come back firing: with some new quality players and the new motivation and ideas from our new coach we can complete our next record breaking task. I would also be looking at using the early rounds of the league cup as a means of integrating our fringe players. HH

Fact is we've become too predictable, no one wants to take a chance, we're stale the squad is full of guys just happy to get a seat on the bench occasionally, theres no hunger and very little desire. I'm happy for a couple of reserve youngsters to get a game, Dembele and Henderson are earmarked to start on Sunday and good luck to them, who knows, if they really impress one of them might nick a Cup Final place.

Fact is we've become too predictable, no one wants to take a chance, we're stale the squad is full of guys just happy to get a seat on the bench occasionally, theres no hunger and very little desire. I'm happy for a couple of reserve youngsters to get a game, Dembele and Henderson are earmarked to start on Sunday and good luck to them, who knows, if they really impress one of them might nick a Cup Final place.

After Sunday you and I could at least get on the bench for the final. No reason why two young fit guys couldn’t get a game :)

I think in the first season with Rodgers he introduced this fast paced high press possession based football and it looked very impressive in Scotland. The next season teams were starting to come to grips with how to stifle it and Rodgers refused to change his style. Infact I remember him doing an interview where he said just that.
Then teams just parked the bus and Celtic struggled to break them down. Add to that some of the teams that were brave enough to press Celtic. That's when the fuckin wheels came off. Rodgers had no plan b. Then Lennon comes in and says he's gonna change nothin about Rodgers' tactics(which I'm not buying).
The body language of the players on Sunday said it all, even Lennon looked like he had lost the will to live. I just think there should be a total overhaul from the Rodgers era of staff, new coach new back room team new ideas and blow these scummy fuckers outta the water next season.

I think in the first season with Rodgers he introduced this fast paced high press possession based football and it looked very impressive in Scotland. The next season teams were starting to come to grips with how to stifle it and Rodgers refused to change his style. Infact I remember him doing an interview where he said just that.
Then teams just parked the bus and Celtic struggled to break them down. Add to that some of the teams that were brave enough to press Celtic. That's when the fuckin wheels came off. Rodgers had no plan b. Then Lennon comes in and says he's gonna change nothin about Rodgers' tactics(which I'm not buying).
The body language of the players on Sunday said it all, even Lennon looked like he had lost the will to live. I just think there should be a total overhaul from the Rodgers era of staff, new coach new back room team new ideas and blow these scummy fuckers outta the water next season.

100% agree D, 100% ???

heres hoping a very big penny has dropped. We all lost the will to live on Sunday. Shiting it against they bastards is beyond what I can cope with. Way way beyond. I felt sick watching it. Then I went tonto. Then I got steaming.

Get it right you complacent bastards or you will be chased out of our club. I’m not as fast as I used to be, but I will catch Lawell if he hides that tin one more fucking time.

What has happened?
It worked at BRs start in Scotland but we must evolve the division have caught on in how to deal with us. Playing out makes sense but has to be with the purpose of keeping possession to mount an attack else whats the point. The clubs in the pub league are a lot fitter than when BR took over they don't just fall down now after 85 minutes

We're playing exactly the kind of football, the aimless 'tiki-taka' style, that Pep Guardiola warned about when it comes to trying to play in a similar style that he adapted from Cruyff:

"I loathe all that passing for the sake of it, all that tiki-taka. It's so much rubbish and has no purpose. You have to pass the ball with a clear intention, with the aim of making it into the opposition's goal. It's not about passing for the sake of it. Don't believe what people say. Barça didn't do tiki-taka! It's completely made up! Don't believe a word of it! In all team sports, the secret is to overload one side of the pitch so that the opponent must tilt its own defence to cope. You overload on one side and draw them in so that they leave the other side weak."

Members online

Latest posts

Back