Favourite beverage.

Me too mate,one drink was too many& 1000 wasn't enough👹👹👹
The story of many a Scottish person, couldn't refuse the 'last one', which was usually followed by several more when already pissed to the Max
A favourite tipple in Greenock hostelries, was 'electric soup' El Dorado, & Lanliq, would make some some go 'Indian'...Full Headdress...as they used to say here, before the days of political correctness
I remember shortly after coming to Canada, went for a beer after work
Me and 3 other guys
Sitting in the 'Beer parlour' attached to hotels, nothing else available, except fizzy, chemical beer on tap
There's 4 of us, the 'waiter' comes over and drops 8 glasses of beer
I'm thinking...must be a load of other guys joining us
The beer was brutal, but the guys I'm with drank their 2 in short order
I'm half way through my first and go to the toilet
When I come back there's 8 more beer sitting on the table
They drank to get drunk, not socialize back in the day, and it was an eye opener, after being used to the pubs/clubs back home
My Dad was here and a Scottish guy who had lived out here for years, started slagging Scotland..."You know...that's one thing about here...you never see any drunks in the street, like you do back in Scotland..."
My Dad replied..."Aye, that's because they're all behind the fucking wheel"
That's how they rolled back in those days
All changed now, times and drinking laws had to change
Back to my Tetley's (Tea)

El D and Lanny, whit a combination, not forgetting four crown.
Ah yes...4 Crown..aka...'South African Old Tawny'
There were a couple of 'wine shops in the toon' but they did not serve the kind of connoisseur wines of note, by today's sommeliers :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
In my teens and before I knew any better, I'd go for a pint, or six, and ask for 'Black n Tan, sweet' half Guinness, and Half Sweet Stout...tasted good, but not what the 'men' drank back in the day
I look back and think, how the fuck did I get served, most other guys, were on lager, or heavy

Tea of any description for me except green funnily enough
Yorkshire extra strong the bag of choice
Love coffee, Colombian or Peruvian my choice. Aye Coffee I said mind.

when I was young I drank what seemed like warm Tennents with nae heed compared to nowadays. Would have a gill of el-damage back in day. mind we used to have a competition in cemetery to see who could drink a bottle quickest. My mate held record for 31 seconds 🤮
Loved shots of sambucca for years until it came back up one day and that was that. Mind if you got heartburn the bar staff would give you a glass of peppermint cordial. Miles better than the shite you get for it nowadays.

Struggle to drink more than 2-3 pints nowadays and it’s just jack d n coke.

I got pinged today cos one of weans had positive test result. Funny how one can have it and other is negative. But they’re all happy and celebrating time off school.

But just in time decided to quit smoking yesterday and bought vape, my flavours of choice were blackjack ( the old sweeties) and cherry tunes as in the throat lozenges.

Going well so far, but the first time I have a beer is the acid test

I'm not much of a drinker these days, can't be arsed with the hangovers and I don't think I ever got out of it that other people did.
I did love my Irn Bru before it was snowflaked with chemical sweeteners which make me boak. The 1901 version that's out now is probably as good as it will get now.

After going to the trouble of swapping the usual Irn Bru for the pish water, Barr's profit plummeted but they don't agree that it's because they turned it into pish water. Just a coincidence eh? There are social media groups that ban any Barr's drinks until they give us back the real Irn Bru.
They should be done under the trades description act for saying it's the original recipe when it's not because the original recipe didn't contain saccharine and aspartame.

I rest my case m'lud.

😂 😂 😂

I do like to drink on occasion,so, I though I would list my favourites and see if anyone agrees or would like to suggest ( no need to be rood, as if you wood) alternatives. Here we go .......
Beer... Innes and Gunn barrel aged Scottish ale.
IPA..... Williams Brothers Perfect Storm
Malt.... Kilchoman (Islay )
Wine .... Bodegas Caro (Malbec)
Coffee... Venezuelan dark roasted.
Tea ...... Fuck OFF.
so bhoys and ghirls ? You like ?
Hmm...

Beer... Erdinger
IPA... dunno, isn't that just beer?
Malt... Jura I'm having some now 😀
Wine... Cold Rose by the pint
Coffee... Can't drink it, gives me migraines
Tea... PG Tips, once in a blue moon though.
Fizzy pop... The Bru 🙌

Ah yes...4 Crown..aka...'South African Old Tawny'
There were a couple of 'wine shops in the toon' but they did not serve the kind of connoisseur wines of note, by today's sommeliers :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
In my teens and before I knew any better, I'd go for a pint, or six, and ask for 'Black n Tan, sweet' half Guinness, and Half Sweet Stout...tasted good, but not what the 'men' drank back in the day
I look back and think, how the fuck did I get served, most other guys, were on lager, or heavy
That'll be how you got served. All the other numpties drinking lager/heavy would have been for the watching. You asking for a weird drink like a b&t well, they would have thought, 'we have a connessuier here! He knows his onions.' 🙂

That'll be how you got served. All the other numpties drinking lager/heavy would have been for the watching. You asking for a weird drink like a b&t well, they would have thought, 'we have a connessuier here! He knows his onions.' 🙂
You could be right
It was a nice establishment in Renfrew, and was a quiet night
The top hat and tails, combined with the spats, probably clinched it for me, as a man of the world :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Have a good weekend

HH

You could be right
The top hat and tails, combined with the spats, probably clinched it for me, as a man of the world :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Have a good weekend

HH
I can think of three things that are suspect about that post: 'It was a NICE establishment in RENFREW, and was a QUIET night' You sure you never dreamt this? 😉

You could be right
Have a good weekend

HH
Oh, have a belter of a weekend yourself china!

I've missed this place, I've had to put it to one side for a wee while but it's still the best Celtic forum.

Hmm...

Beer... Erdinger
IPA... dunno, isn't that just beer?
Malt... Jura I'm having some now 😀
Wine... Cold Rose by the pint
Coffee... Can't drink it, gives me migraines
Tea... PG Tips, once in a blue moon though.
Fizzy pop... The Bru 🙌
Tried Rose made me sick:-\

I can think of three things that are suspect about that post: 'It was a NICE establishment in RENFREW, and was a QUIET night' You sure you never dreamt this? 😉
The Arkleston Inn in 1971 (on Paisley road West, if memory serves me correctly)
There were about 5 of us, in the whole place, including the barman, so I left after a couple, and went to rendezvous, with a young maiden from The Figie Park area
Renfrew, after Greenock, was like Monaco back in the day

There were about 5 of us, in the whole place, including the barman, so I left after a couple, and went to rendezvous, with a young maiden from The Figie Park area
Oh are you from Greenock? All my mum's family are from Greenock / Gourock 🙂

The Arkleston is in Renfrew, Dill.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back