First ever Celtic game..

1988. Boxing Day friendly versus Red Star Belgrade. 2-2. I was so young that I credited both goals to "the best player in the world", Frank Macavennie. In reality, Frankie probably didn't have to play friendlies, contractually - he would have been clubbing in London - and so it was actually a future bitter Sky pundit (who was actually a hell of a good player for us the season before) who scored both goals.

Red Star had some team: they played us off the park and would win the big cup two and a half years later, sparking a wave of Serbian nationalism and a genocidal war.

I remember that game..They had Dragan Stoijkocvic playing for them that day...Ive seen some amazing players over the years playing against but his performance that day was the greatest ive ever seen by an opponent in a game against us...even better than Messi..outstanding talent..

The Daily Record had us singing him the next day and i'll never forget the headline "Beware of the Dragan"

think they also had Robert Prosineski playing for them too?

Last edited:
I remember that game..They had Dragan Stoijkocvic playing for them that day...

think they also had Robert Prosineski playing for them too?

Aye, both played.

I don't remember it myself but apparently some Celtic fans ended up booing big Aitken because he kept fouling Stoijkovic to stop him playing.

Members online

Back