Games to remember

Chubbstar 51

Thinking about game to remember one sticks in my mind,I know i am talking for every Celtic fan when i say one’s as good ten against the Stinkies,but a game very seldom talked about was and in my mind one of the best were we ran riot,for some reason I remember the kick off was 12-00 ,in they days it was always 15-00, it was the Glasgow cup final we won 3-1 going on 10 honestly played them of the park as they say,know it was only Glasga cup but a one sided game as you’ll ever get,the remarkable thing about that game was there was I think 6 or 7 youngsters Macari,,Davidson,Big G Connelly,J Quinn and a few others,we were 3 up at this point in the game Greig scores for theStinkies and all our fans start ironically clapping captain courageous the ultimate embarrassment for him and for the Stinkies (Oldco) What a Saturday that was Brilliant h.h Let’s hear your games to remember come on now ! Forever in Green

Last edited:
It was my first Cup Final. The crowd that day in Hampden was massive. We were squashed in like sardines and it was nigh on impossible to move.

The Celtic support was in fine voice and I along with no doubt many others believed more in hope than expectation that we could bring it home.

It had been a long time since we had won any silverware and at times during the game it looked like we might have to wait even longer.

Twice we went behind and twice we pulled it back. Wee ten thirty was on fire and scored the two goals to level things.

Then something happened. You could just sense it. Celtic were growing in stature and we could see it happening before our very eyes.

There was something different about this Celtic team. This was a Celtic team that didn't give in. This was a team that was going to fight to the last whistle. The support lifted as only they can. The players lifted and hope became belief. We started to believe.

The goal that won the Scottish Cup in the season 64/65 was majestical. That it was scored by the head of our inspirational captain Billy McNeill was fitting.

He rose like a man that knew he was fulfilling his destiny that day to meet the corner from the gifted foot of Charlie Gallagher.

Bedlam insued. Masses of people surged forward and were being propelled in every direction. There was dancing, singing, grown men were crying tears of joy. There was so much elation and raw emotion it would be impossible to describe it fittingly.

There would be no way back now for Dunfermline. The Scottish Cup was coming home.

We were back in the business of winning when it mattered and little did we know at the time that this was just the beginning.

Celtic were to go on under the genius of Jock Stein to become the finest team ever to grace Scottish Football and to become the Champions of Europe playing beautiful, innovative and entertaining football the Glasgow Celtic way.

And I was lucky enough to be there when it all began.

Last edited:
I was at the game at Hampden. There was a Hun waving a sword after the game in Somerville Drive.

My memorable game was the 68 Cup final 4.0 to the Tic

My memorable game is very similar to Chubbstar’s. It was the first OF league game of 72-73 season, and it was played at Hampden in early September with a 12 noon kick-off time, supposedly to combat drunkenness at the game. Ha ha, some hopes! The stand at Celtic Park was being repaired, hence the game was at Hampden.

Jinky scored in 2 minutes, and Dalglish made it 2-0 after 15. Thereafter we absolutely ran rings round them. Macari made it 3-0 just after half time, and only bad finishing and miraculous saves kept it down to 3. Deans, with an open goal only six yards out managed to blast his shot straight at Jardine on the line; the ball nearly ko’d him, but somehow stayed out. George Connelly played keepie-uppie, and motioned the Huns to try to take the ball off him. None of them dared. Right at the end, John Greig scored a consolation goal and the Celtic end ironically cheered him back to the half way line. As Bigbhoy says, there were a lot of disgruntled Huns charging down Somerville Drive after the game.

I’ve still got the Green Citizen from that day, and their reporter George Aitken commented that this was a thrashing, the scoreline was very misleading, and nobody should be fooled by it - especially Rangers.

If I remember rightly, a Celtic team full of the Quality Street youngsters beat Rangers 3-1 in the Glasgow Cup final at Hampden in the summer of 1971.

Not a game against the ??but the 88 cup final against Dundee Utd. Thatcher, Kevin Gallachers rocket for them but the inevitability of our win, even though they were a good side. My old man got me a ticket off Billy Starks father in law, so I was only about 10 rows back and sideways fae thatcher. Had a fiver on a Celtic Wimbledon double got £50 back a good sum then. Drunk a bottle of Bells on the train up (classy) the day before, fell aff the train face first. Vogue before the game for the cure, Heraghtys Elch Neesons and QPB after. What a weekend

my favourite memory was back in 1965 when we played the huns in the glasgow cup on a monday afternoon believe it or not the crowd was only 28 thousand and celts won 3-2 but the worst bit was we had dogged school to go to it and as we turned into jeanfield street behind th jungle the stv cameras focused on us and we were on the teatime news that night with a shit load of explaining to do when we got home

98 new year game against oldco! For so many reasons, I was brought up during the huns best period, with all the money and for the most part the best players.. and although we steered that season GREAT that day even they took us seriously.. the roar after lamberts goal is still the loudest I can remember. We all know the rest.. btw last game of the season against st Johnstone a good 2nd. COYBIG

My memorable game is very similar to Chubbstar’s. It was the first OF league game of 72-73 season, and it was played at Hampden in early September with a 12 noon kick-off time, supposedly to combat drunkenness at the game. Ha ha, some hopes! The stand at Celtic Park was being repaired, hence the game was at Hampden.

Jinky scored in 2 minutes, and Dalglish made it 2-0 after 15. Thereafter we absolutely ran rings round them. Macari made it 3-0 just after half time, and only bad finishing and miraculous saves kept it down to 3. Deans, with an open goal only six yards out managed to blast his shot straight at Jardine on the line; the ball nearly ko’d him, but somehow stayed out. George Connelly played keepie-uppie, and motioned the Huns to try to take the ball off him. None of them dared. Right at the end, John Greig scored a consolation goal and the Celtic end ironically cheered him back to the half way line. As Bigbhoy says, there were a lot of disgruntled Huns charging down Somerville Drive after the game.

I’ve still got the Green Citizen from that day, and their reporter George Aitken commented that this was a thrashing, the scoreline was very misleading, and nobody should be fooled by it - especially Rangers.

If I remember rightly, a Celtic team full of the Quality Street youngsters beat Rangers 3-1 in the Glasgow Cup final at Hampden in the summer of 1971.
Wispy that’s right that’s the match I was talking about one of the many greats games seldom spoken about cheers mate h.h

Excellent boab
,doesn’t get any better h.h Ta
Defo the old games were class in the 60s, when you think back we were always better than them, rememeber wee Bertie saying in Bairds Bar Big greig tried to get the oneupmanship in the tunell, and aske wee Bertie what the bonus was, 10 bob said Bertie, Greig said ours is a quid, wee Bertie said ours is gaurenteed.

Back