God Save the Queen / The Queen is Dead and Mr Souness

Humf

As a teenager I was fascinated by the God Save The Queen cover of the single by the Sex Pistols with a picture of the queen with the title over her eyes and the band’s name over her mouth. I actually didn’t really like the music – but the single is still in our house, (somewhere), probably worth a fortune.

As I got a bit older, my second favourite Smith’s album is the Queen is Dead with probably one of the best songs in the world, There is a Light That Never Goes out.

Growing up in the 80s I viewed the royal family as part of the establishment, Thatcher, the miners’ strike, poll tax etc. I was never a royalist and still am not. However, when the Queen died, I have to be honest and did think, this could go a wee bit mad. Not that I don’t think that people are entitled to their view, but that ultimately, it would reflect badly on the Celtic family. There’s a time and a place for all views but the timing right now wasn’t great. That was until Mr Souness!!

When I saw the banner “If You Hate The Royal Family Clap Your Hands”, while not condoning it, it was actually funny in a postmodern (Pat Kane) sort of way. It’s not right but it was funny and ironic.

Then Mr Souness got involved and I thought, “well maybe the gloves are off”! The unacceptable face of Scottish football!!! Are you having a laugh? I remember when I was young that the definition of irony was the possibility of Henry Kissinger getting the Noble Peace Award (he helped in the slaughter of Vietnamese people during the Vietnam war in the 60s/70s).

Mr Souness, the player and manager of a club that did not feel the need to pay the “queens tax”, a fan base that libel and slander a dead ex-Celtic manager who cannot defend himself, a fan base who make “monkey” references to a recent black Celtic player (Scott Sinclair). A fanbase that terrorised the city of Manchester in 2008….the list goes on.

The unacceptable face of Scottish football? Need to look in the mirror Graeme!

As a teenager I was fascinated by the God Save The Queen cover of the single by the Sex Pistols with a picture of the queen with the title over her eyes and the band’s name over her mouth. I actually didn’t really like the music – but the single is still in our house, (somewhere), probably worth a fortune.

As I got a bit older, my second favourite Smith’s album is the Queen is Dead with probably one of the best songs in the world, There is a Light That Never Goes out.

Growing up in the 80s I viewed the royal family as part of the establishment, Thatcher, the miners’ strike, poll tax etc. I was never a royalist and still am not. However, when the Queen died, I have to be honest and did think, this could go a wee bit mad. Not that I don’t think that people are entitled to their view, but that ultimately, it would reflect badly on the Celtic family. There’s a time and a place for all views but the timing right now wasn’t great. That was until Mr Souness!!

When I saw the banner “If You Hate The Royal Family Clap Your Hands”, while not condoning it, it was actually funny in a postmodern (Pat Kane) sort of way. It’s not right but it was funny and ironic.

Then Mr Souness got involved and I thought, “well maybe the gloves are off”! The unacceptable face of Scottish football!!! Are you having a laugh? I remember when I was young that the definition of irony was the possibility of Henry Kissinger getting the Noble Peace Award (he helped in the slaughter of Vietnamese people during the Vietnam war in the 60s/70s).

Mr Souness, the player and manager of a club that did not feel the need to pay the “queens tax”, a fan base that libel and slander a dead ex-Celtic manager who cannot defend himself, a fan base who make “monkey” references to a recent black Celtic player (Scott Sinclair). A fanbase that terrorised the city of Manchester in 2008….the list goes on.

I've really only got one thing to say in reply to your post Humf. Very well said. Do The Noise a favour; post more often !

Think we should put that in their suggestion box
I was thinking last week that if they wanted to raise millions all they had to do was introduce a sectarian box
For every hun that mouths or even thinks of a sectarian comment, they have to pay a £1
So that’s 55,000 x £1 x the 8 songs they sing per half = £440,000 per half x 2 half’s = £880k per game
Plus if you add in the directors box, the bbc and the match officials your near 900k per game

If they could raise that much they’d build it on the halfway line 🤭

Nellie the elephant will be along any minute :ROFLMAO:
Not really the new subject matter is
FTK
Respect was for those currently being eaten by worms
It’s a new chapter in the British ANALS
The most fucking tragic Tory government in history (including boris and Callaghan’s) allied to the biggest twat of a monarch the worlds ever seen
It’s all adds up to a recipe for a labour majority in London at next election, a Scottish referendum (labour need to lance that boil as the snp stealing their historical electorate), independence secured, then the snp finally become irrelevant (we move beyond indepence and they’re finally seen ti be useless in government bar wee nic)
You heard it here first 🤗

FTK
The most fucking tragic Tory government in history (including boris and Callaghan’s) allied to the biggest twat of a monarch the worlds ever seen
It’s all adds up to a recipe for a labour majority in London at next election, a Scottish referendum (labour need to lance that boil as the snp stealing their historical electorate), independence secured, then the snp finally become irrelevant (we move beyond indepence and they’re finally seen ti be useless in government bar wee nic)
Oh, he's not gonna like that :ROFLMAO:
Prepare for incomiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

Oh, he's not gonna like that :ROFLMAO:
Prepare for incomiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!
Bring it on mate
I have my views and as you know air them but I respect others
An alternative view has often reshaped my own thoughts on various things
I think what I think, but it’s never a closed argument
I’m knowledgeable about anything that’s natural in the world
I could tell you the wingspan of an African bald eagle cos I love nature, but it’s a fact and the world/nature is a passion for me only matched by Celtic and boxing
As far as politics/ideology/philosophy goes, my opinion is what it is till someone more learned and able to transmit it marked me think different

God save the Green. Purely recreational,🥴

FTK
Poor old Jim C. I remember Callahan and the Foot, and maybe not effective, but were never Tories. I include Michael Foot as he was there at the time.

Bring it on mate
I have my views and as you know air them but I respect others
An alternative view has often reshaped my own thoughts on various things
I think what I think, but it’s never a closed argument
I’m knowledgeable about anything that’s natural in the world
I could tell you the wingspan of an African bald eagle cos I love nature, but it’s a fact and the world/nature is a passion for me only matched by Celtic and boxing
As far as politics/ideology/philosophy goes, my opinion is what it is till someone more learned and able to transmit it marked me think different the b
Didn't know you had a passion for the natural world ST-L I too, have had a lifelong interest. As for the bald eagle, I've had the pleasure of flying one from my arm while enjoying a day out flying Raptors. To see this awesome bird come from the sky down on to my glove is something I'll never forget .

Latest posts

Back