God Save the Queen / The Queen is Dead and Mr Souness

Dinny think so......And its Beatles ...no beetles.......;)
I’m going to see Ringo Starr at the Vina Robles Amphitheatre in Vino Robles, California on 15th October. Me, Dee and her 3 sisters plus my 11 Year old niece.
I will take lots of video and photos for ye Lennono, if ye are good I might even get ye a souvenir cos I know how much ye love The Beatles.
In 50 or 60 years time my niece will be one of very few people still alive who saw a Beatle perform live.

Still sounds as fresh today as it did 25 years ago, pistol’s changed music more than the beetles, the stones, ever did, just like elvis a WHOLE generation started playing music because of them ❤️
That's a pretty profound statement Bb. I mean the " changed music" bit. Never one for making comparisons between generations, but, only my opinion, the era which spawned The Beatles, Stones, Kinks etc etc etc........was something an epoch. If the youngsters of subsequent generations enjoyed their time half as much as I did/still do....then that only means I enjoyed it twice as much as them. Guess it's all subjective.

I’m going to see Ringo Starr at the Vina Robles Amphitheatre in Vino Robles, California on 15th October. Me, Dee and her 3 sisters plus my 11 Year old niece.
I will take lots of video and photos for ye Lennono, if ye are good I might even get ye a souvenir cos I know how much ye love The Beatles.
In 50 or 60 years time my niece will be one of very few people still alive who saw a Beatle perform live.
Enjoy mate.......I'll be good ;) .....I remember when the Beatles played at The Carlton in Kirkcaldy....I was too wee to go :( .....There was a shop next door to the Carlton where an auld woman sold sweeties......John Lennon wrote a song on the White Album called Cry Baby Cry where he mentions the woman, calling her the Duchess of Kirkcaldy in the song.....

I seen Macca live in Liverpool a few years ago ......that was amazin...Been even better if it was Lennon ............

Dinny think so......And its Beatles ...no beetles.......;)
That's a pretty profound statement Bb. I mean the " changed music" bit. Never one for making comparisons between generations, but, only my opinion, the era which spawned The Beatles, Stones, Kinks etc etc etc........was something an epoch. If the youngsters of subsequent generations enjoyed their time half as much as I did/still do....then that only means I enjoyed it twice as much as them. Guess it's all subjective.

I’m not saying the beetles weren’t a great band, they had 2 iconic songwriters, the best of their generation, but it was just they were the best at that style of music, they weren’t the 1st doing it, nor were they the last, Herman’s hermits, Gerry and the pacemakers etc all doing similar styles, just took American “black” mans blues and rock n roll and regurgitate it with a pretty white boy image to make it acceptable in a incredibly racist time in musical history, very similar to what elvis done, and the stones.

Now back to the pistols, they invented a genre of music, the was no punk before the pistols, when they were formed in 1975 the biggest selling act in the world was John Denver, music was played by highly skilled musicians, with prog-rock concept albums prolific at the time with songs taking up full sides of LP’s 25-30min instrumentals songs, musical wanking as I call it,
Then bang, the 3 min punk song, straight in yir face, one of the popular music newspapers at the time, new musical express printed 3 guitar chords on the front page, and told their readers to go buy or steal an instrument and go form a band…..

Without the pistols there’s no punk, no heavy metal, no New Romantics, no goths, no Brit pop, etc

I’m not saying the beetles weren’t a great band, they had 2 iconic songwriters, the best of their generation, but it was just they were the best at that style of music, they weren’t the 1st doing it, nor were they the last, Herman’s hermits, Gerry and the pacemakers etc all doing similar styles, just took American “black” mans blues and rock n roll and regurgitate it with a pretty white boy image to make it acceptable in a incredibly racist time in musical history, very similar to what elvis done, and the stones.

Now back to the pistols, they invented a genre of music, the was no punk before the pistols, when they were formed in 1975 the biggest selling act in the world was John Denver, music was played by highly skilled musicians, with prog-rock concept albums prolific at the time with songs taking up full sides of LP’s 25-30min instrumentals songs, musical wanking as I call it,
Then bang, the 3 min punk song, straight in yir face, one of the popular music newspapers at the time, new musical express printed 3 guitar chords on the front page, and told their readers to go buy or steal an instrument and go form a band…..

Without the pistols there’s no punk, no heavy metal, no New Romantics, no goths, no Brit pop, etc
Opinions, opinions, Bb. You know what's most important? Just enjoy it !
You may know, I come from a rather large family.....7 brothers and 7 sisters. I'm slap bang in the middle. There are many reasons I wouldn't change that, and one of those reasons is that I grew up listening to the musical favourites of my older siblings. I think I've also posted on The Noise that my father was a gifted musician. He played several instruments.
The upshot from that is my own musical taste is wide and varied.
I listen to everything from the blues greats like Robert Johnson, through to jazz , big band, pop....ular, country, classical.
My music collection is my first choice of escapism. Keeps me sane....ish!

Last edited:
The Kinks invented Heavy Metal.....whit aboot this riff .......

The Mrs grew up in Hudson near Akron, Ohio in the 70s. Her High School Football team had The Kinks song Lola as their official team anthem. When she told them the song was about about a transvestite they did not believe her. She eventually convinced them. They were horrified and never sang Lola again.
She still laughs when she remembers the looks on their faces when it dawned on them.

I think you will find that the pistols piggy backed on the music of groups like Dr Feelgood ,New York dolls,etc

The Kinks invented Heavy Metal.....whit aboot this riff .......

Heavy metal, heavy rock, hard rock, ao rock, hair metal, soft rock, death metal, thrash metal, industrial metal, nu metal ……aw different mate….. try and keep up🤣🤣

interesting fact, it’s not any of the Davies brothers playing guitar oan you really got me, it’s a 17 year old session musician called…… Jimmy page, it you listen to the solo that’s pure page 👍

The term heavy metal was first used in the 1968 song born to be wild by Steppenwolf

Didn't know you had a passion for the natural world ST-L I too, have had a lifelong interest. As for the bald eagle, I've had the pleasure of flying one from my arm while enjoying a day out flying Raptors. To see this awesome bird come from the sky down on to my glove is something I'll never forget .
Me too Frank
Although it was a couple of hawks as a friend of mine trained them
The power in those talons is incredible and you can see why when they latch onto prey, it's game over
It was at a Highland Games event, and one woman who was drunk came right in and stuck her digi camera right in the birds face, as I was attached to said Raptor
My "Fuck off lady !!!" offended her, and so, she fucked off (I like when someone listens) to complain to a Committee member...
As for the state of Scotland and it's political woes, I don't know what life will be like under an SNP or Labour Govt, once the chains are off from WM, but I do know what life was like under the Tories, and anyone who thinks it's the SNP's fault, really should take a look at the bigger picture
The world is fucked, it's just a big party for the rich, and we're not invited, so go on about your lives and 'assume the position'
Fuck Big Ears, and his burd Noddy, by the way

Elvis, soul, and rhythm and blues, changed music
Many famous bands attribute that genre to their success, the poistols came along at a time when anarchy was the alternative to the new wave bands...punks were the antithesis of bands like Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, type of stuff
The pistols had some great tunes, but music was not changed by them
I was lucky enough to be brought up listening to the Stones (I am not a Beatles fan) as at the time of my teenage youth, the Beatles were seen to be the 'celan cut' establishment pop boys, although their influence in music, and other bands, is unquestionable
As I said, the Stones were, and always will, be my favourite band, and I was fortunate enough to see them LIVE, also Ozzy and Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and a host of others I won't go into
Sadly, what passes for music these days, is brutal, yes, I have become my parents
Watch some Motorhead, or Five Finger Death Punch
We're off to our first concert in a long time next week, Colin James
Not one I'd have bought tickets to, but it's a gift from our daughter/son in law, so we'll go and enjoy it, no doubt
Enjoy your week

Elvis, soul, and rhythm and blues, changed music
Many famous bands attribute that genre to their success, the poistols came along at a time when anarchy was the alternative to the new wave bands...punks were the antithesis of bands like Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, type of stuff
The pistols had some great tunes, but music was not changed by them
I was lucky enough to be brought up listening to the Stones (I am not a Beatles fan) as at the time of my teenage youth, the Beatles were seen to be the 'celan cut' establishment pop boys, although their influence in music, and other bands, is unquestionable
As I said, the Stones were, and always will, be my favourite band, and I was fortunate enough to see them LIVE, also Ozzy and Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and a host of others I won't go into
Sadly, what passes for music these days, is brutal, yes, I have become my parents
Watch some Motorhead, or Five Finger Death Punch
We're off to our first concert in a long time next week, Colin James
Not one I'd have bought tickets to, but it's a gift from our daughter/son in law, so we'll go and enjoy it, no doubt
Enjoy your week
Aye mate, as you say, what passes as “music” nowadays shocking, I just don’t get rap, or dance music, rap is just talking fast, I can’t understand what they’re saying, dance/hoose, trance, music never been intae drugs, so don’t get it, I think you’d need tae be oan drugs tae enjoy it 🤷‍♂️

Aye mate, as you say, what passes as “music” nowadays shocking, I just don’t get rap, or dance music, rap is just talking fast, I can’t understand what they’re saying, dance/hoose, trance, music never been intae drugs, so don’t get it, I think you’d need tae be oan drugs tae enjoy it 🤷‍♂️
The icons today are the likes of Kanye West and the Kardashians, and a host of other amoebas
Brutal doesn't quite cover it
Rap, FFS, wee white kids driving about in mini vans (there's one in our town, who does just that) baseball cap backwards, windows down, with music up loud guys singing about 'Niaggas and bitches' and every second word is fuck...
Reminds me of the 'Wigger' in the Gran Torino scene where Clint Eastwood rescues an Asian girl as her pussy of a boyfriend attempts to 'make nice with the brutha's'
I come by my swearing honestly, as most of us do
My favourite rapper, if I have one, is Eminem, him and Dr Dre
yes, as Frank said, a wide and varied collection of music, anything that makes me feel good, or happy, is OK by me
Funny how we stray from the original title on threads, and thank fuck we did, before the argy bargy started ;-)
FTJB
There's a story behind that :LOL:

My uncle left behind a significant record collection including first pressings of The Pistols, Clash, Undertones, UK Subs, Buzzcocks, Moondogs and more when he emigrated to the US in '81. Unfortunately one of my younger sisters discovered a rare record dealer when at college in Belfast. Having teenage aunts and uncles in my late 70s, early 80s childhood significantly shaped my musical tastes.

308563505_399924552339554_7137130140757675652_n.jpg

Back