Going nowhere ??

Weedocbhoy60

I have come to the conclusion that we are going nowhere. We are a big fish, the biggest, in a little pond. It's January, I know, it's difficult. BUT. Two six month loans, why are we developing players for other clubs? Our business model is to buy young, develop and sell for a profit. Our goal, as defined by our business model, is to make a profit. Nothing wrong with that, if a profit is all you are after.
This, in my humble opinion, is selling the Football club short. You do not create history on a shoestring, you do not put your rivals behind you by le thing the opportunity to strengthen pass you by.
Where has the profit from CL football gone ??? Where is the 20 million from the sale of Dembele gone ??? Again, imo, it has not been invested in the playing staff. French Eddy apart, Iam not his biggest fan, are we still playing with Ronnies team??
Tell me, somebody tell me , we are not just lining the pockets of the rich. Tell me we are not just paying for heated driveways. It can't all be about projects and promises. Tell me it's old age and too much wine.

The wage bill has jumped over 40% since BR came on board ( and it hasn't just gone to Lawwell ) - he has delivered back-to-back trebles , and I wouldn't bet against a third if we get this transfer window right .
However , I agree that we appear to lack ambition in seemingly being content to simply develop players for other richer clubs ( Southampton ??? ) .
I look at other similarly sized teams in Europe and see far more ambition - Ajax , Salzburg , Spanish clubs ( other than the big three RM , AM and B ) etc...
Too many teams who have not got the riches of the fat cats have done so much better than us in the CL in recent years - that is . or should be , our benchmark .

I have come to the conclusion that we are going nowhere. We are a big fish, the biggest, in a little pond. It's January, I know, it's difficult. BUT. Two six month loans, why are we developing players for other clubs? Our business model is to buy young, develop and sell for a profit. Our goal, as defined by our business model, is to make a profit. Nothing wrong with that, if a profit is all you are after.
This, in my humble opinion, is selling the Football club short. You do not create history on a shoestring, you do not put your rivals behind you by le thing the opportunity to strengthen pass you by.
Where has the profit from CL football gone ??? Where is the 20 million from the sale of Dembele gone ??? Again, imo, it has not been invested in the playing staff. French Eddy apart, Iam not his biggest fan, are we still playing with Ronnies team??
Tell me, somebody tell me , we are not just lining the pockets of the rich. Tell me we are not just paying for heated driveways. It can't all be about projects and promises. Tell me it's old age and too much wine.
think the board's done what our boards have always done, never strengthened from a position of strength,ah'm 65 and seen the biscuit tin mentality in operation for god knows! this window will define, do we move on,do we accept where we are, do we have ambition,do we want to continue dominance in scotland,not compete in europe and take the crumbs from the table,i'm sure that's not what brendan want's. it certainly ai'nt what we want the monkey's game was a wake up call, and i'm sure dermot said no more, lights. driveways are all well and good, but success on the park is and always will be foremost!!!!

think the board's done what our boards have always done, never strengthened from a position of strength,ah'm 65 and seen the biscuit tin mentality in operation for god knows! this window will define, do we move on,do we accept where we are, do we have ambition,do we want to continue dominance in scotland,not compete in europe and take the crumbs from the table,i'm sure that's not what brendan want's. it certainly ai'nt what we want the monkey's game was a wake up call, and i'm sure dermot said no more, lights. driveways are all well and good, but success on the park is and always will be foremost!!!!
It's an argument you find all over Scotland and it isn't limited to football.

Glasgow is a case in point!

Glasgow was an industrial powerhouse throughout the better part of the last two centuries, it grew at a staggering rate and didn't have the resources to cope.

Glasgow then done something that has very seldom been achieved in a modern city. It effectively reinvented itself, unfortunately - the industries that it relied upon became nearly obsolete in Scotland and it had to determine where to go next.

At the moment Glasgow is at a crossroads between remaining a city built on industry, or trying to corner a wee market for itself in arts and culture.

It may appear irrelevant, but Celtic have a similar dilemma.

We can invest heavily and solely on the team and focus upon the game, or we look at alternative ways of generating income and not only in football.

As fans, it's a no-brainer, but alternatively - we have to remain solvent and find as many ways as possible to market the Club and generate income to ensure that we exist for the next 130 years.

The wage bill has jumped over 40% since BR came on board ( and it hasn't just gone to Lawwell ) - he has delivered back-to-back trebles , and I wouldn't bet against a third if we get this transfer window right .
However , I agree that we appear to lack ambition in seemingly being content to simply develop players for other richer clubs ( Southampton ??? ) .
I look at other similarly sized teams in Europe and see far more ambition - Ajax , Salzburg , Spanish clubs ( other than the big three RM , AM and B ) etc...
Too many teams who have not got the riches of the fat cats have done so much better than us in the CL in recent years - that is . or should be , our benchmark .
I think the key thing to note about the teams you mentioned (with the exception of Spain), is that they are, more or less, one club cities!

The media isn't as frenzied and prejudiced as Glasgow's and Scotland's and they are expected to be partizan and get behind their clubs.

Celtic are constantly pushing water up a brae in Scotland and we are well and truly on our own when it comes to covering our best interests.

I take your point that we should be competitive with the sides you mentioned by name and that will need investment, but the harsh reality is that even their TV income dwarfs ours. The Austrian sides generate money via selling match rights to Germany, our neighbours friendly sky benefactor takes our subscriptions to inflate their own pet project.

We're on our own on this one

Sometimes the loaning of players is a good thing it lets the player and club see if they are compatible if not you let him go back saves a fortune on transfer fee and wages then but the flip side is the Roberts scenario where the club want to sign him after the loan and his club want more than we can afford as they can get more from another team now the player has showcased his talent with us. Loans like everything else have their upside and downside.

I don’t mind a loan as long as it’s 18 months.If you get someone on loan at this window your only really getting 4 & a half months.Sometimes it takes players as much as a season to settle in.Also if they haven’t had much game time that could go against them.I don’t know if we’v got the option of keeping these boys longer but they pretty much have to hit the ground running if they’re going to make an impact and Scotland isn’t as easy as some people have thought.HH

I don’t mind a loan as long as it’s 18 months.If you get someone on loan at this window your only really getting 4 & a half months.Sometimes it takes players as much as a season to settle in.Also if they haven’t had much game time that could go against them.I don’t know if we’v got the option of keeping these boys longer but they pretty much have to hit the ground running if they’re going to make an impact and Scotland isn’t as easy as some people have thought.HH

Is it definitely a six months for young Weah? Would be a lot happier with 18. I agree with your points of 6 not being nearly enough.

Back