Green brigade songbook

IRA songs have no place at football matches. As a previous poster said, we have plenty of great songs in support of our players/team. I go to all games, home and away, but never join in with IRA songs. I know what the IRA stand for, and totally agree with it, but it pisses me off when they sing songs like They gave us James McGrory and Paul McStay and the IRA, no, they didn’t give you the IRA, it’s a Celtic song, it has eff all to do with the IRA. As for Beautiful Sunday, cringeworthy.

Getting sick of hearing pro I.r.a songs week in week out. No need for them at football.
I understand there are people who think it's great to hear them. Not everyone shares thay opinion.
Would prefer we stuck to football related songs.
Before someone mentions them over the other side, I couldn't give two fks what they do. I am a Celtic supporter not interested in them.
I totally agree I take my 13 yr old grandson and he loves the green brigade,when I tell him about IRA songs having had there time and should be left in the past he hears them being sung at games especially away games.We are doing ourselves no favours by these chants and our supporters deserve better.

Reactions: TET
IRA songs have no place at football matches. As a previous poster said, we have plenty of great songs in support of our players/team. I go to all games, home and away, but never join in with IRA songs. I know what the IRA stand for, and totally agree with it, but it pisses me off when they sing songs like They gave us James McGrory and Paul McStay and the IRA, no, they didn’t give you the IRA, it’s a Celtic song, it has eff all to do with the IRA. As for Beautiful Sunday, cringeworthy.

I hear what your saying. And to a certain extent you have some valid criticisms. But again its a matter of personal interpretation.

Do some of the people singing these songs actually fully understand the historical use of these lyrics?

I have no idea, but some of them come across as vindictive to point of nihilist and anarchistic, which is deeply sad. Hijacked for the wrong mindset in my opinion.

There are many good rebel songs with additional lyrics being thrown in at certain points with an undercurrent of unsubstantiated violence proposed. Thats not a good thing. Especially if the reason these songs were created and originally sung has been hijacked for non contemplative scrutiny.

Is there a bad element among the singers of these songs. No idea, don't know them all. Have met a few nuggets who know nothing of history or the reasons of the authentic cry for the breaking of bondage put into action by ordinary human beings.

The lyric James mcgrory paul mcstay and the IRA could be seen in positive light, where good guys put on their boots and gave it all for a cause they deeply held in their heart, that was just and beautiful and worth giving it all.

But sadly I admit I doubt the people who sing this particular song with gusto have really ever thought deeply about the positive connotations but perhaps have malicious mindset. I do believe there are many who do see the positive connection between the two separate struggles in the hearts of free men.

Should the song be banned because some people can't correlate the two struggles? Perhaps!

Does the song have absolutely no connection with the two subset of interconnecting paradigms? I genuinely believe they do have a common denominator. And in a positive sense the struggle of the Irish people did indeed give us Celtic heros who were purely football mad and open to all to support, and the IRA who in a more specific sense fought and stood up against evil forces trying to nail them into sub classification as below humanity and therefore really approved of by British custom to subdue and abuse and limit their freedoms under duress.

The two separate causes one sporting and the other political do indeed have a huge overlap. I for one don't think these songs should be removed from the song book unless they explicitly condone retribution beyond justifiable courage temperance prudence and ultimately Justice. Where the line should be drawn becomes very subjective and particular in the hearts of every individual person. Whether they hold the positive correlation or just sing the songs in blind anger I have no way to distinguish in reality. Banning people from expressing positive things because some people see negativity again is problematic in wider society. Simply because most people are offended when their inner programming is triggered even when only positive Justice is being cried out to be addressed. Is the offence justified or politically correct. Is there a contradiction in values of free speech and shutting of the voice of the certain legitimate grievances. Do some peoples inner conscious have more say in what is offensive or not?

My personal opinion is these songs if justifiable are worth singing. If not then drop them. If they cannot be justified as freedom of speech but purely hate speech then perhaps its worth binning them. But if they unite the hearts of a sub section of Celtic support with a cry of worthy remembrance of worthy men then I can wholeheartedly say I will defend their right to sing songs of just uprising.

My main problem has always been blowing up civilians. As Islamic terrorism grows using this tactic it is impossible to condemn that whilst defending the other because we have an affinity.

I asked the question of how many of those who love these songs and the Republican movement actually go out and march.

My view is be as political and emotional all you want, but, if you think singing them at a game somehow makes things better, you are sadly mistaken

Celtic is not the sporting brigade of any oppressed people. There are plenty out there and it is no surprise the Green Brigade picks Oalestine solely due to the similarities with Ireland. What about the countless others?

Be political by all means. But it takes more than belting out the BBB at an away game when we are playing shite to earn respect as supporting a cause.

Hit the streets. If the GB were so committed we would see literally thousands at Republican marches, that never happens and until they do their professed support is nothing more than superficial to me.

I hear what your saying. And to a certain extent you have some valid criticisms. But again its a matter of personal interpretation.

Do some of the people singing these songs actually fully understand the historical use of these lyrics?

I have no idea, but some of them come across as vindictive to point of nihilist and anarchistic, which is deeply sad. Hijacked for the wrong mindset in my opinion.

There are many good rebel songs with additional lyrics being thrown in at certain points with an undercurrent of unsubstantiated violence proposed. Thats not a good thing. Especially if the reason these songs were created and originally sung has been hijacked for non contemplative scrutiny.

Is there a bad element among the singers of these songs. No idea, don't know them all. Have met a few nuggets who know nothing of history or the reasons of the authentic cry for the breaking of bondage put into action by ordinary human beings.

The lyric James mcgrory paul mcstay and the IRA could be seen in positive light, where good guys put on their boots and gave it all for a cause they deeply held in their heart, that was just and beautiful and worth giving it all.

But sadly I admit I doubt the people who sing this particular song with gusto have really ever thought deeply about the positive connotations but perhaps have malicious mindset. I do believe there are many who do see the positive connection between the two separate struggles in the hearts of free men.

Should the song be banned because some people can't correlate the two struggles? Perhaps!

Does the song have absolutely no connection with the two subset of interconnecting paradigms? I genuinely believe they do have a common denominator. And in a positive sense the struggle of the Irish people did indeed give us Celtic heros who were purely football mad and open to all to support, and the IRA who in a more specific sense fought and stood up against evil forces trying to nail them into sub classification as below humanity and therefore really approved of by British custom to subdue and abuse and limit their freedoms under duress.

The two separate causes one sporting and the other political do indeed have a huge overlap. I for one don't think these songs should be removed from the song book unless they explicitly condone retribution beyond justifiable courage temperance prudence and ultimately Justice. Where the line should be drawn becomes very subjective and particular in the hearts of every individual person. Whether they hold the positive correlation or just sing the songs in blind anger I have no way to distinguish in reality. Banning people from expressing positive things because some people see negativity again is problematic in wider society. Simply because most people are offended when their inner programming is triggered even when only positive Justice is being cried out to be addressed. Is the offence justified or politically correct. Is there a contradiction in values of free speech and shutting of the voice of the certain legitimate grievances. Do some peoples inner conscious have more say in what is offensive or not?

My personal opinion is these songs if justifiable are worth singing. If not then drop them. If they cannot be justified as freedom of speech but purely hate speech then perhaps its worth binning them. But if they unite the hearts of a sub section of Celtic support with a cry of worthy remembrance of worthy men then I can wholeheartedly say I will defend their right to sing songs of just uprising.

Great post TET, but I have a slightly different view. While I accept too many have no idea of the real meaning of what they sing, these songs do remind us all of an important chapter in history. When I see flags of other oppressed people being flown by Celtic fans, I have a sense of a deep understanding of what oppression really means.

The reality of life in the modern day is optics and spin make a massive difference to how a club as great as celtic are seen by the world . WE ARE a great club with a great support . The issue with fans singing songs which allows the overwhelming biased scottish press to class as sectarian gives them, the press,the opportunity to not highlight the continued sectarianism from rangers which is rampant and actually welcomed at Ibrox as part of the corporate business plan .
We have so much more about us than they do I just hate hearing the "the celtic fans and Sevco fans are as bad as each other " which we all know is rubbish

I totally agree that freedom of speech is a vital part of life,I do not want anyone banned for singing songs. I would hope that these songs fade away as the people of Ireland live a more peaceful and tolerant life. Celtic supporters are recognised as the best bar none so we should remember our history and where we came from. As a supporter we can teach our children and grandchildren about the history of this great club and try to represent a positive future,History has it's place no one forgets the troubles. I considered it an honour to be able to take my grandson to games In a safe environment and fantastic stadium,the singing and chanting are a huge part of the experience. The Green brigade are superb and help create a wonderful atmosphere but children copy what they hear and sing IRA songs without a clue as what these songs represent.

I totally agree that freedom of speech is a vital part of life,I do not want anyone banned for singing songs. I would hope that these songs fade away as the people of Ireland live a more peaceful and tolerant life. Celtic supporters are recognised as the best bar none so we should remember our history and where we came from. As a supporter we can teach our children and grandchildren about the history of this great club and try to represent a positive future,History has it's place no one forgets the troubles. I considered it an honour to be able to take my grandson to games In a safe environment and fantastic stadium,the singing and chanting are a huge part of the experience. The Green brigade are superb and help create a wonderful atmosphere but children copy what they hear and sing IRA songs without a clue as what these songs represent.

Strong argument Jdinduntocher

If the songs are sung without proper education of what it all means it can and probably does lead to the nihilist anarchistic perspective getting the label rebel without a cause.

I grew up in the six counties during the troubles. The term terrorist or terrorism is loosely bandied about and usually in the direction of the republican movement, without which, we would have been trampled into the ground. I can assure you from first hand experience that terrorism was rife during this period and it was all coming from the scum who are now hailed as heroes year in year out. The so called armed forces slaughtered and pillaged all before them and would have been a lot worse only for the IRA. And while I know that this is a debate about songs being sung at football matches, I just don't like the use of that word, as it only seems to be used against anyone who takes up arms against the English or Americans. I could go on and on, but I won't. Getting back to the songs and the green brigade, I have no problem with their choice of songs, but then again, I'm a product of the environment I grew up in. To each their own! On a different note, TET, there's a book in there somewhere. Very impressive writing!

I appreciate your upbringing in the 6 Counties has made you what you are and nobody has the right to try and change who you are

I was brought up in Easterhouse in Glasgow's East End in the early 60s and I grew up loving Celtic for the football they played and why wouldn't I?
Being a wee Catholic boy who's local team were European Champions and should have been World Club Champions why try and find anything else to look up to?

This was a period when the most recent troubles in Ulster were bubbling under and as a 6 or 7 year old I had no idea about what was going on or was about to transpire

I didn't know the songs being sung I had no idea what they were about
Easterhouse was probably one of the more deprived areas of out city and we didn't have our troubles to seek but we dealt with it much like people of Ulster

Getting back on point As I grew up I learnt about Irish history How the English treated the Irish I learnt the songs and grew to love them If I'm at a gig with like minded people I sing them But here's the point Me singing those songs in like minded company won't offend anyone Well my singing might but the songs won't

At football matches it's a different matter People can be offended Kids who are the future of our Club are laid bare to lyrics that they shouldn't be open to As a parent and grandparent I'd hate to know that any child connected to me was privy to such songs so I never take my grandsons as much as I'd love to

People will say Look at Rangers SEVCO HUNS whatever you want to cry them That's ALL they sing and spew their bile

Well my answer to those people is simple '2 wrongs don' t make a right and I couldn't give a flying f#*k what songs they sing at their hovel'

They have No other songs to sing that mean anything BOUNCY BOUNCY and Penny Arcade That's all they have left outwith their Sectarian crap

I'm not saying forget our Club's roots and who we are Just let's be mindful of others our own fans included
I can think of at least 50 Irish /Rebel songs that don't mention murder many of which I'd love to hear sung at Parkhead but never have

Back Home in Derry
Streets of New York
Helicopter Song
5th International Brigade
Only our rivers run free
Some say the Devil is Dead
Lid of my granny's bin
To name just a few and some very heroic and telling the history of Irish suppression

HH?

I appreciate your upbringing in the 6 Counties has made you what you are and nobody has the right to try and change who you are

I was brought up in Easterhouse in Glasgow's East End in the early 60s and I grew up loving Celtic for the football they played and why wouldn't I?
Being a wee Catholic boy who's local team were European Champions and should have been World Club Champions why try and find anything else to look up to?

This was a period when the most recent troubles in Ulster were bubbling under and as a 6 or 7 year old I had no idea about what was going on or was about to transpire

I didn't know the songs being sung I had no idea what they were about
Easterhouse was probably one of the more deprived areas of out city and we didn't have our troubles to seek but we dealt with it much like people of Ulster

Getting back on point As I grew up I learnt about Irish history How the English treated the Irish I learnt the songs and grew to love them If I'm at a gig with like minded people I sing them But here's the point Me singing those songs in like minded company won't offend anyone Well my singing might but the songs won't

At football matches it's a different matter People can be offended Kids who are the future of our Club are laid bare to lyrics that they shouldn't be open to As a parent and grandparent I'd hate to know that any child connected to me was privy to such songs so I never take my grandsons as much as I'd love to

People will say Look at Rangers SEVCO HUNS whatever you want to cry them That's ALL they sing and spew their bile

Well my answer to those people is simple '2 wrongs don' t make a right and I couldn't give a flying f#*k what songs they sing at their hovel'

They have No other songs to sing that mean anything BOUNCY BOUNCY and Penny Arcade That's all they have left outwith their Sectarian crap

I'm not saying forget our Club's roots and who we are Just let's be mindful of others our own fans included
I can think of at least 50 Irish /Rebel songs that don't mention murder many of which I'd love to hear sung at Parkhead but never have

Back Home in Derry
Streets of New York
Helicopter Song
5th International Brigade
Only our rivers run free
Some say the Devil is Dead
Lid of my granny's bin
To name just a few and some very heroic and telling the history of Irish suppression

HH?

Loved your post.

Just as a caveat even the two non sectarian songs of the horde could possibly harbour real evil.

Bouncy bouncy for obvious reasons (Ive been incognito on the subway caught among the bouncy people and I honestly thought the train would come right off the tracks and they really couldn't give a hoot) what exactly are they imagining they are bouncy bouncy on top of when they sing it with gusto.

Penny Arcade

I was invited out by my blue nose cousins to a bar in east end. Now because i was with my cousins one of their so called mates was pissed and assumed i Was a fellow craft. Got to talking about Penny arcade since someone on Karaoke was singing it and the place erupted. Now i wasn't singing along with the song cause i don't know the words. This dude who was pissed who knew my cousins well was trying to get me to join in and I just let them do their thing. But remarkably the dude went into a mad story about why he loves that song afterwards.

He said they banned our songs so we got anew one that they cannot ban. I said i liked the song but couldn't see the relevance to being banned. He said its a UVF codeword for clubs in Norn Iron around late 60s early 70s big hit on the walks.

I said why?

He said

Protestant
extremists
Never
never
Yield

All
Roman
Catholics
are
Denied
Entry

The first letters spell penny arcade.

I was never invited out by my cousins since that night.

Good to know that blood aint really that thick when it comes to sectarian stuff.

Last edited:
Loved your post.

Just as a caveat even the two non sectarian songs of the horde could possibly harbour real evil.

Bouncy bouncy for obvious reasons (Ive been incognito on the subway caught among the bouncy people and I honestly thought the train would come right off the tracks and they really couldn't give a hoot) what exactly are they imagining they are bouncy bouncy on top of when they sing it with gusto.

Penny Arcade

I was invited out by my blue nose cousins to a bar in east end. Now because i was with my cousins one of their so called mates was pissed and assumed i Was a fellow craft. Got to talking about Penny arcade since someone on Karaoke was singing it and the place erupted. Now i wasn't singing along with the song cause i don't know the words. This dude who was pissed who knew my cousins well was trying to get me to join in and I just let them do their thing. But remarkably the dude went into a mad story about why he loves that song afterwards.

He said they banned our songs so we got anew one that they cannot ban. I said i liked the song but couldn't see the relevance to being banned. He said its a UVF codeword for clubs in Norn Iron around late 60s early 70s big hit on the walks.

I said why?

He said

Protestant
extremists
Never
never
Yield

All
Roman
Catholics
are
Denied
Entry

Good to know that blood aint really that think when it comes to sectarian stuff.

Also worth noting the leaders of 1916 were branded traitors to the crown because the UK were in world war 1. The British army sent their Irish regiments to free Belgium and parts of France from occupation of germans, while their own country was in bondage. Then when the Irish voted 75 percent to secede from Uk, they partitioned Ireland under threat of all out war, armed the real terror gangs in Norn Iron and began the oppression of Catholic Irish in the north. Armed the UVF B men and made them reserve soldiers of the newly formed RUC.

And it was illegal for Catholics to have arms but UK government thought it was mighty OK to gerry mander elections and terrorise Catholics into the bog parts of towns and cities.

And while they looked down their loaded guns at people oppressed they called them terrorists for resisting, marched through the streets with their song books of shame and tunes of oppression.

And while that was happening in Norn Iron, their was no jobs in Glasgow after the war, so the tanks were sent to Glasgow to put the starving crowds in fear while Bigot Billy Fullerton and his razor gang went around slashing strikers who were picketing the low wages of the few who actually had jobs. And for whom the same people who thought fascism was a great thing, and guess who were the unemployed peoples in the 1920s in Glasgow, guess who were the people who had decent jobs, Guess who were the people being slashed by Billy blood razors. Thats right. But somehow our media to this day call it tit for tat. Call it just as bad as each other. And some Celtic fans don't really know much about the history of the people who loved Celtic even the ones born here.

Its a bit like jewish peoples making songs to remember the holocaust in germany. And the holocaust deniers take control of the MSM and tell everybody these holocaust songs are just as offensive as the nazi songs of glorifying the holocaust. To deny the irish rebels songs in my opinion would be same as people in Israel saying lets move on the Holocaust doesn't really affect the modern age. No need to remember what the holocaust deniers say didn't happen. In fact the holocaust deniers claim its them who have been wronged. Now put on your poppy to remember some of the peoples peepo who died in the wars past but those other one s should go home the famine is over.

But you'll never read anything like that in our MSM.
You mention holocaust and the year 1916. Can you please tell me what this has to do with the Celtic FOOTBALL club? Sorry, i don't buy that. I'm a football fan and not into politics. Just my thoughts. HH?

Reactions: TET
You mention holocaust and the year 1916. Can you please tell me what this has to do with the Celtic FOOTBALL club? Sorry, i don't buy that. I'm a football fan and not into politics. Just my thoughts. HH?

If you read my other posts above you might understand it better.

Songs are songs
If they contravene hate laws then ban them is the simple answer

Being offended by things you don't buy is your right. But everything is potentially offensive in some context or not.

England fans sing swing low sweet chariot. Nothing to do with football. Offends me that they would sing a slavery song out of context but thats their right to sing what they want.

there are many many songs that are not football related at many different clubs are they all to be banned or just the ones that offend individuals?

Nobody is forcing anybody to sing the songs. But unless they have legitimate reason other than subjective offensive or relevancy then surely its acceptable custom.

If however it violates acceptable custom then by all means ban it.

But isn't it just being politically correct to suggest some songs should be banned that aren't really offensive in their proper context but allowing shouting abuse generally at games?

HH

It might not have actually occurred to you that lots of Celtic fans have many other common historical things that they share. Not all fans share it. But lots do and lots support them because of the non footballing charitable works and political positions of these often likeminded football fans.

You don't understand what 1916 has to do with millions of Celtic fans since 1916?
You don't understand the connection with German holocaust and UK starvation of peoples who became Celtic fans because this club was set up to feed their children who had politically and systematically impoverished and hated?
You love only football?
But Celtic have always had worldwide appeal due to its voice against oppression and oppressive politics generally.

We are the best fans in the world mostly because we have history of suffering injustice and the way we have always stood up against it with virtuous tenacity.

Thats not something you want to drop because its offends the oppressors.

Well not in my book anyway.
Celtic is football club

But its a club with many dimensions and all of them usually are on the side of truth justice and most of the other virtues. Well maybe I've been lucky but thats how I see it anyway.

Love the football but love the entire Celtic culture and Irish connection just as much.

Last edited:
One more time, if you need to sing about the IRA at a Celtic game you've got a serious problem.

There are no excuses, no history lessons needed and certainly no one in their right mind can deny the hatred from others for our support due to certain fans singing them.

There has never been glory in any war, no heroic death worth the loss of life and those who euologise past participants would probably run a mile if a bullet was fired in their direction.

Romanticise Irish struggles, history and fables all you want. You'll never find the truth in a ballad.

War is dirty. Those who fight it use all they can to maximise death and destruction irrespective of human cost or feeling.

The IRA played as dirty a game as the British. They are all unworthy of our veneration.

It's a fucking football match. End of story.

One more time, if you need to sing about the IRA at a Celtic game you've got a serious problem.

There are no excuses, no history lessons needed and certainly no one in their right mind can deny the hatred from others for our support due to certain fans singing them.

There has never been glory in any war, no heroic death worth the loss of life and those who euologise past participants would probably run a mile if a bullet was fired in their direction.

Romanticise Irish struggles, history and fables all you want. You'll never find the truth in a ballad.

War is dirty. Those who fight it use all they can to maximise death and destruction irrespective of human cost or feeling.

The IRA played as dirty a game as the British. They are all unworthy of our veneration.

I find your point of view offensive my man. Should your voice be closed because i am offended?

You don't get to dictate what i sing or why I sing it or where i sing it.

Its that simple my man.
People who hate Celtic fans hate them not because of ira politics but because of their own politics.

The politics might not be your thing. But get a grip on yourself man. You choose to support what you support.

You don't even understand that politics is in everything. Offence is in everything. Its the eye of the beholder that gets offended. When you get offended subjectively you elect fascists.

And if you can't see the connection with Celtic and politics and the reason for most people being celtic favoured then you don't really understand what makes Celtic tick.

No offence, I couldn't care less whether or not you are offended by my view. It is my honest opinion and one I hold dear. Your view does not offend me, it saddens me.

I don't remember hearing Bro. Walfrid calling for RPG 7's when he wanted to help feed the poor. I believe he set up Celtic to help feed people, irrespective of race, colour or creed; the starving, oppressed and without a voice.

"Celtic fans are hated not because of their politics but because of their politics" ... No offence, I suspect, in your haste to emphasise my 'fault' by telling you what you can and can't sing - which I didn't - you have made yourself look like an angry idiot. Not saying you are, you've made yourself appear so through your post!

I don't understand that politics is in everything? That's a heck of an assertion from a single post!

What are you talking about? Worldwide politics, national politics or the politics that goes on within every organisation throughout the world day in, day out!

Look mate, as far as I'm concerned IRA songs are an embarrassment.

You don't agree.

Doesn't mean I'm right but I believe I am. That's all that matters to me.

Out of curiosity Anton why did you choose Celtic to support?
And what is the IRA in your book?
And should people who love Celtic and their own reasons for loving Celtic should they be banned if they don't completely coincide with your particular values?

I also should add most people don't need to sing about IRA at games they either choose to or Not. The negative association around the word IRA is part of the propaganda.

Your nonsense about struggle for freedom and rights being just as bad as oppression therefore both sides just as bad as each other is a political statement. Yet you don't do politics. Not singing political songs in public is political.

Dictating what other can and can't do is unethical if the songs are not unethical and if they are unethical point out the bits you find unethical.

But blanket castigation of stuff you can't really be bothered having a well rounded opinion is in itself unethical.

But your blind to what you want to see and your opinion with its offensive swear words while claiming others need their heads checked is quite ironic

Last edited:
Loved your post.

Penny Arcade

I said why?

He said

Protestant
extremists
Never
never
Yield

All
Roman
Catholics
are
Denied
Entry

Good to know that blood aint really that thick when it comes to sectarian stuff.
Thanks for that explanation about penny arcade. Been asking knuckledraggers about that song for years, they probably didn't have a clue either or one of their mundane secrets their so fond of What a surprise to find uts yet another song of elitism and one-upmanship

Back