Green brigade songbook

I appreciate your upbringing in the 6 Counties has made you what you are and nobody has the right to try and change who you are

I was brought up in Easterhouse in Glasgow's East End in the early 60s and I grew up loving Celtic for the football they played and why wouldn't I?
Being a wee Catholic boy who's local team were European Champions and should have been World Club Champions why try and find anything else to look up to?

This was a period when the most recent troubles in Ulster were bubbling under and as a 6 or 7 year old I had no idea about what was going on or was about to transpire

I didn't know the songs being sung I had no idea what they were about
Easterhouse was probably one of the more deprived areas of out city and we didn't have our troubles to seek but we dealt with it much like people of Ulster

Getting back on point As I grew up I learnt about Irish history How the English treated the Irish I learnt the songs and grew to love them If I'm at a gig with like minded people I sing them But here's the point Me singing those songs in like minded company won't offend anyone Well my singing might but the songs won't

At football matches it's a different matter People can be offended Kids who are the future of our Club are laid bare to lyrics that they shouldn't be open to As a parent and grandparent I'd hate to know that any child connected to me was privy to such songs so I never take my grandsons as much as I'd love to

People will say Look at Rangers SEVCO HUNS whatever you want to cry them That's ALL they sing and spew their bile

Well my answer to those people is simple '2 wrongs don' t make a right and I couldn't give a flying f#*k what songs they sing at their hovel'

They have No other songs to sing that mean anything BOUNCY BOUNCY and Penny Arcade That's all they have left outwith their Sectarian crap

I'm not saying forget our Club's roots and who we are Just let's be mindful of others our own fans included
I can think of at least 50 Irish /Rebel songs that don't mention murder many of which I'd love to hear sung at Parkhead but never have

Back Home in Derry
Streets of New York
Helicopter Song
5th International Brigade
Only our rivers run free
Some say the Devil is Dead
Lid of my granny's bin
To name just a few and some very heroic and telling the history of Irish suppression

HH?

15th International Brigade as in Viva La Qinta Brigada? The Green Brigade sang that regularly about 2 years ago.

One reason I never use the 'like' function' is due to the fact that I like to reply to posts relevant to the ongoing debate. Not being rude, I hope! Just fearful of upsetting the 'Holier Than Thou' Moses Brigade - who just so happen to claim others act in a High and Mighty' manner - strange, is it not?

I take it the great anton happy to accept likes but dors not think anyone else's points are deserving???

Spoken like a true dictator ???

One thing many will notice is the 'downtrodden & put down' battalion follow each other like headless sheep in the 'like' regard. If it wasn't so pathetic they would be hilarious.

Woebetide any one to highlight their traits. They only want to be friends.

No, seriously, please show them extra love and kindness or expect to have your domestic residence referred to as a 'chicken dome'.

Please adopt one of our downtrodden today and give them all the 'likes' and cuddles they so deserve.

You could , of course, bring yourself down to their level and take the fucking piss out of them - at the end of the day, that's what they crave so they can hit back and in unison without a single coherent thought of their own.

I shall pass over on the last word, I shall give that to The Usual Supects and 'Maria' who loves the sight of her own words written down as much as that 'boy Anton'.

Don't forget though, it's okay when he/she/it does it ?

Ha how did that happen anton ??

Rather than reply it hijacked your actual post pmsl

Anyway it looks better now ?

Repetition without proper understanding is the cause of most lost faith or at least lack of truly experiencing the peace prayer can bring. Rosary without the meditation on the mysteries misses out the whole point of the rosary. Sadly I think its the lack of faith of the people doing the education that leads to lack of faith or understanding what its all about. The hocus locus effect.

The funny thing is most people who pay thousands to visit a shrink to confess are absolutely against the idea of confessing to a priest for free. Despite the confessing part being the bit that often gives relief from mental anguish.

Anyway faith is a personal thing. But the general principles can be learned which can inspire deeper investigation through prayer to find love. For religion without the search for love in action is not really faith at all in my opinion.

Confession is a good thing if you do wrong, but only if you accept the responsibility of your actions and make it right with the person or people you have wronged. To not do this and expect three hail mary’s and then everything is sorted us annabdication of responsibility. You go in a say you are sorry to a priest, but that means nothing to me, unless other actions of contrition are taken. It is not for a priest to absolve you, it’s the people you wronged. We could all go about being horrible pieces of nastiness and think, I confessed to the priest. Also, if you are sorry, god, if you believe in him will know, it’s the reason you are confessing that needs to forgive you.

Reactions: TET
The reason, I presume, many people go to a psychiatrist - been there myself - is to try and make some sense of who they are with a hope that they shall become better people in the future - for their own benefit.

Confession may well be a good thing, as you say, if you are truly sorry for what you've done. However, it's major problem if you don't change your ways or try and understand why you're doing something you, yourself, believe to be against your own moral code.

To confess something in the hope of being forgiven, without trying to fathom out why you've done it; is that not a bit pointless anyway?

I remember when I made my first confession, as clear as day. An old spinster aunt told me she could see my shiny, bright new soul. Even as a child, I wanted to tell her to fuck up and stop talking shite.

Again, though, that is just my opinion and those fortunate enough to have a strong faith are probably more happy within themselves than I'll ever be ?

(PS Ireland are garbage ; 1-0 Wales - should be 2 down)

Last edited:
Confession is a good thing if you do wrong, but only if you accept the responsibility of your actions and make it right with the person or people you have wronged. To not do this and expect three hail mary’s and then everything is sorted us annabdication of responsibility. You go in a say you are sorry to a priest, but that means nothing to me, unless other actions of contrition are taken. It is not for a priest to absolve you, it’s the people you wronged. We could all go about being horrible pieces of nastiness and think, I confessed to the priest. Also, if you are sorry, god, if you believe in him will know, it’s the reason you are confessing that needs to forgive you.

That particular understanding of the role of Spiritual direction which you and many others probably assume is catholic is also why the art of confession is losing its real value.

Everything you suggest should be part of confession is actually much closer to the teaching and reason of Magisterium.

Sadly the priesthood isn't quite the same as the historical catholic church priesthood in general.

If you read the works of Padre pio, Alphonsus ligouri, John Vianney, Aquinas, Augustine, John Damascene, John Chrysystom and the encyclicals of the popes, you might find the actual spiritual medicinal diagnostics that the priest is trained to administer is not quite carried out since the eduction isn't as good as in times past. Not enough priest or laity understand the actual deep spiritual part of the confession it actually should be much closer to what you would thought it should be.

But sadly most people don't fully cooperate with the grace received at confession and although 3 hail marys isn't quite same as rectifying the matter. If it is confessed fully with genuine contrition and hope of returning to love with union in grace then it is valid in eyes of church, but optimally the spiritual director role of priest should be trying to rectify the penitent by genuine efforts to restore the damage committed. But that takes balls, and the priesthood has become very effeminate since the Vatican 2. Not less valid but less courageous perhaps in rectifying errors committed and growing in grace and virtue.

But if its just a pretend confession where you expect the 3 hail marys to cover over a false contrition then you will indeed be badly mistaken. that not a valid confession. And nothing has been rectified in eyes of justice or mercy.

Its also worth noting that a genuine act of contrition made in your heart with desire for union with christ can be sufficient without a priest. If its truly contrition based on absolute love of God and hence actual holy compunction of heart then it can be enough without the sacramental confession.

But the sacramental confession is better because it doesn't require perfect act of compunction and gives grace even if your only motive for confession is fear of eternal hell.

John vianney could read souls and was perfect spiritual director. Sadly there are very few real spiritual directors to raise souls up the ladder of virtue with proper direction these days, which means the soul needs stronger impulses of actual grace to receive supernatural sanctifying grace regularly with direct aching through the holy spirit. But without a director that very rare. Even rare when you have a good director.

But this was all predicted for our times.

Keeping the faith will get harder as the demonic rises in society. Morals will get worse.

But in the end the immaculate heart will triumph.

I didn't always believe this. In fact i was once more critical than anyone i ever knew.
But like the book says. Seek and ye will find.

Telling people about what you find won't help them usually. But if they seek they will find.

So I always suggest that to anyone even the biggest cynic.

Pray the rosary while you seek and have an open heart and willingness to find the actual truth. And if you do that grace will help you find the answers you need to help your soul.

Thats the last Im going to share on my faith in open.

If you want to attack what you don't understand then be my guest.
If you think you understand but still want to attack.
I suggest praying the rosary everyday for 33 days with the intention to find out if you are wrong. And if you can do that you will find your on anew path to unraveling the darkness in your psyche.

The weekly mass help[s a lot. regular confession with true contrition helps a lot. Spiritual reading helps a lot.

A lot of the greatest saints were the biggest cynics. Some of these guys are great place to start spiritual reading since they knew how most cynics think before they had change in heart.

Anyway peace

Christ died for everyone generally but for YOU in particular. That may sound like gibberish. But seek and find out. What was the purpose of christs mission. How did it create a church which is his mystical body. How does it open up gate to heaven through grace to Glory.

Now i realise thats not for everybody. But it should be worth a bit of your time to seek it out. Because at the end of the day its the source of all virtue and life. Whether you believe it or not. The truth is worth seeking.

But cynically dismissing without any effort to understand the actual teachings rather than what you imagine is being taught means you aren't really searching.

Like I said thats the last faith chat ill share openly. It offends to many people. And I'm not trying to convert anyone. I just don't like seeing people who haven't bothered their arse seeking for truth declaring the truth is a lie.

Seek

The confessions of saint augustine written in the 400s I think is still very readable and a great source of understanding humanity. Its like biography of all his errors in life and how they were not always errors in his mind. Its also so well written it keeps you interested for the next crazy part of his life.

He is also arguably one of the greatest minds that ever lived.

You can listen to his audiobook free on Youtube
You can find free downloads PDF style
You can even buy his confessions in style that suits your reading in major book shops stores.

Its one of the best books ever written and it could have been written last week the problems are so human.

Anyway this was one of the best book I ever read. He was a wild man turned saint. He was always super sharp and cynical of everything till he met another great mind St Ambrose of Milan Bishop and orator. Two of the greatest doctors and teachers of the church. St Augustine was by far more intelligent but it took meeting Ambrose to get his heart into the correct place. And his mother monica prayers to help her son are probably key in the story as well.

The year 400 had some of the answers that the year 2018 needs.

Last edited:
Heres my two bobs worth on rebel songs.

Lyrically most of them are about ethical resistance in one shape or form.
There are some rebel songs (off the top of my head I can't actually think of their title) that are really not fit for open public consumption.

They remind me of the struggle that my Irish ancestors fought and died for, and well, they may not be for all Celtic fans, since not all Celtic fans have irish ancestors, but I do think they are relevant reminders of much more oppressive regimes that administered these Islands once called the UK.

Most of these songs have real history in them that should never be forgotten. And although they don't represent Celtic they do represent a lot of the inner anger of lots of Celtic fans with Irish roots.

Personally I love some of the not so politically correct tunes that erupted into being in the 70's and 80's, but even most of these songs are historical songs to highlight what the MSM in those days refused to address.

But the ancient songs from around the 1916 rising and later the irish civil war period after partition and even the even older historical tunes are really a perspective of what our society pretends didn't really happen.

Now I can see why some people might not feel close to these songs and might think its not really for this period in the history of Celtic minded people, but nonetheless I think these songs are mostly valid songs, in my opinion, and I have absolutely no problem whatsoever singing these songs in Irish pubs and other venues, and that includes Celtic park.

They are part of my history and its part of history that I share with lots of other Celtic fans in and around the stadium. Ethical resistance to oppression is moral and even if its denied by society as immoral, then I think its time to think clearly what these people wrote these songs about and for whom.

Now I am open to persuasion that certain of these songs are not fit for public consumption. But of the hundreds of rebels songs I have heard over the years I have yet to find more than couple that could be interpreted as condoning unethical resistance.

Now you might ask but whats it got to do with Celtic per se. Nought really, but its has a lot to do remembering the damaged hearts, minds and psyche of 100s thousands of people who just so happen to be Celtic supporters.

Im deeply proud of some of these so called terrorists for their stand against wilful oppression of an entire country for hundreds of years. And even after they were displaced deliberately through starvation to other countries/continents the persecution didn't end. The evil regime that called itself the British Empire had poisoned the minds of most of its colonies, like here in Scotland for instance to hate Irish people simply because they were forcibly impoverished through their faith and language and customs.

And just incase you didn't know Celtic was formed to help feed the children of these forcibly impoverished and oppressed peoples who had also been forced to abandon their homeland to find some food. The Richest Empire in the world starved the people in its own UK. Even starved the veterans of the most famous War that Britain probably won, The battle of Waterloo was victorious and it was led by an Irishman and an army that came 75 percent from Ireland. And not 30 years later most of these ex heros of UK were starved to death by their psycho masters in Westminster purely because well they could sell corn for more to other people than people who had no money. And why did they have no money. They weren't allowed to work most jobs or own mostly any property simply because they had a more ancient faith.

So forgive me when I love these songs that remind me not to forget the terrible oppression of my people at the stadium I love which helped feed my family and friends ancestors when they needed it most.

And to this day while Celtic fans sing about ethical resistance the scum sing about glorying in the oppression murder and torture of my peoples through history.

Lest we forget

Aye indeed exactly right lest we forget that at any moment these rancid psychos will do it all over again just for kicks.

And then we will need people like Michael Collins, Tom Barry, Padraig Pearce, James Connolly, Robert Emmet, Wolfetone etc etc etc to stand up for the innocent people these madmen want to die.

Worth also remembering that when most of irish ancestors came here they already lived in UK. But still we hear songs about going home having lived here for 150 years hated and detested just for being forced to come here to get something to eat because these same people starved us out of our own country.

You don't like the songs. I do. I love the purely celtic songs too, but the rebel songs for me anyway will always be part of my irish and celtic ancestry.

And i do it by choice. While i don't believe blowing innocent people up is just. I do condone ethical resistance against slavery and oppression.

Thanks for reading.

I hope i didn't offend anyone, but if somehow i did then I apologise, but thats just my plain and simple point of view.

Like i said I'm open to persuasion

But most of the rebel songs are fit for public consumption even if the public in this country don't want to hear about the things they did to their own members of the UK just coz they were Irish.

??????????☘️

That particular understanding of the role of Spiritual direction which you and many others probably assume is catholic is also why the art of confession is losing its real value.

Everything you suggest should be part of confession is actually much closer to the teaching and reason of Magisterium.

Sadly the priesthood isn't quite the same as the historical catholic church priesthood in general.

If you read the works of Padre pio, Alphonsus ligouri, John Vianney, Aquinas, Augustine, John Damascene, John Chrysystom and the encyclicals of the popes, you might find the actual spiritual medicinal diagnostics that the priest is trained to administer is not quite carried out since the eduction isn't as good as in times past. Not enough priest or laity understand the actual deep spiritual part of the confession it actually should be much closer to what you would thought it should be.

But sadly most people don't fully cooperate with the grace received at confession and although 3 hail marys isn't quite same as rectifying the matter. If it is confessed fully with genuine contrition and hope of returning to love with union in grace then it is valid in eyes of church, but optimally the spiritual director role of priest should be trying to rectify the penitent by genuine efforts to restore the damage committed. But that takes balls, and the priesthood has become very effeminate since the Vatican 2. Not less valid but less courageous perhaps in rectifying errors committed and growing in grace and virtue.

But if its just a pretend confession where you expect the 3 hail marys to cover over a false contrition then you will indeed be badly mistaken. that not a valid confession. And nothing has been rectified in eyes of justice or mercy.

Its also worth noting that a genuine act of contrition made in your heart with desire for union with christ can be sufficient without a priest. If its truly contrition based on absolute love of God and hence actual holy compunction of heart then it can be enough without the sacramental confession.

But the sacramental confession is better because it doesn't require perfect act of compunction and gives grace even if your only motive for confession is fear of eternal hell.

John vianney could read souls and was perfect spiritual director. Sadly there are very few real spiritual directors to raise souls up the ladder of virtue with proper direction these days, which means the soul needs stronger impulses of actual grace to receive supernatural sanctifying grace regularly with direct aching through the holy spirit. But without a director that very rare. Even rare when you have a good director.

Keeping the faith will get harder as the demonic rises in society. Morals will get worse.

I didn't always believe this. In fact i was once more critical than anyone i ever knew.

Telling people about what you find won't help them usually. But if they seek they will find.

Pray the rosary while you seek and have an open heart and willingness to find the actual truth. And if you do that grace will help you find the answers you need to help your soul.

I suggest praying the rosary everyday for 33 days with the intention to find out if you are wrong. And if you can do that you will find your on anew path to unraveling the darkness in your psyche.

The weekly mass help[s a lot. regular confession with true contrition helps a lot. Spiritual reading helps a lot.

A lot of the greatest saints were the biggest cynics. Some of these guys are great place to start spiritual reading since they knew how most cynics think before they had change in heart.

Anyway peace

Christ died for everyone generally but for YOU in particular. That may sound like gibberish. But seek and find out. What was the purpose of christs mission. How did it create a church which is his mystical body. How does it open up gate to heaven through grace to Glory.

Now i realise thats not for everybody. But it should be worth a bit of your time to seek it out. Because at the end of the day its the source of all virtue and life. Whether you believe it or not. The truth is worth seeking.

But cynically dismissing without any effort to understand the actual teachings rather than what you imagine is being taught means you aren't really searching.

Like I said thats the last faith chat ill share openly. It offends to many people. And I'm not trying to convert anyone. I just don't like seeing people who haven't bothered their arse seeking for truth declaring the truth is a lie.

Seek

The confessions of saint augustine written in the 400s I think is still very readable and a great source of understanding humanity. Its like biography of all his errors in life and how they were not always errors in his mind. Its also so well written it keeps you interested for the next crazy part of his life.

You can even buy his confessions in style that suits your reading in major book shops stores.

Its one of the best books ever written and it could have been written last week the problems are so human.

Anyway this was one of the best book I ever read. He was a wild man turned saint. He was always super sharp and cynical of everything till he met another great mind St Ambrose of Milan Bishop and orator. Two of the greatest doctors and teachers of the church. St Augustine was by far more intelligent but it took meeting Ambrose to get his heart into the correct place. And his mother monica prayers to help her son are probably key in the story as well.

Beautifully put, mate, if you don't mind me saying so?

I would never dream of putting down a person for having a faith ... I'm quite jealous of those who have such a strong conviction.

There have been generational shifts in religious belief since its inception. That is just life, it shall rise again as history tells us so. In that respect, it's not rocket science.

We are living in a particularly 'nasty' age in religious terms.

The world lacks a non- religious leader, someone who promotes basic moral values without the need for any belief in a higher power.

If religion can give hope to those who struggle to make any sense of this world then it can only be good. However, it must be professed from a personal viewpoint without any forcing of opinions on others.

Religion would have a better chance of succeeding if compassion was to its forefront. Unfortunately, too often it is missing.

Anyway peace

Seek

Good post from someone of faith. I have none. I do not believe in a supernatural entity. I don’t believe in religion of any hue. I recognise the comfort people have in hokdingva faith. In believing or hoping death isn’t the end of us. To think we will be reunited with loved ones, I don’t. I see my mother in me and my siblings and our children every day. She is a part of me.

I don’t like the control excreted on people’s throughout history by men who use that power to wield worldly power. To use a book that discriminates and demonises other human beings for their sexuality. To tell people contraception is wrong, particularly in relation to Aids in Africa which has cost the lives of millions. I just can’t get on board with any god that would sanction that. I wouldn’t worship him even if he proved he was real. He offends my sense of morality.

Confession was never in the Bible. Jesus never mentioned it. It was instituted to raise money for the crusades. As were indulgences as a way of basically robbing people. To charge someone for prayers is an obscenity and was a major trigger of the reformation as well as the abject corruption within the church.

I don’t believe in supernatural beings that hide themselves. Faith can be shared by every religion on the planet. It is not a path to truth and it obstructs critical thinking. If you filled a room with every creed they would all share faith, but all deny the others faith was actually true.

I don’t believe in miracles. I don’t believe in Saints healing people. Science and medicine heals people where it can. Prayer never does. If it did we would never require doctors. If it does then why not all? Why are a select few chosen? Are we not all gods children? Or are some more special? Why childhood cancer, as Stephen Fry put it, what’s that all about?

I respect you having faith, believing saying the rosary for 33 days will help you. But I ask why 33 days? Why have to say the Rosary at all? What kind of loving all powerful being would demand we pay homage to it. To submit?

If that were a human being leader, he would be in the despot wing. Like the ones who rule by fear of retribution for not obeying. He would have huge photos of himself and the children would be indoctrinated from birth to love and obey him. We are told that not to will lead to unhappiness and bad things happening to us. But worse than any despot earthly dictator at least after death you can escape him. With the god of all the books he tortures you after death for an eternity for simply being unable to believe in him on bad or no evidence.

That’s a cruel psychopathic being.

I have no fear of hell, there are no demons inhabiting an undefined plain.

I would suggest some reading. Carl Sagan’s A Demon Haunted World. A brilliant and concise book that traces our fears and superstitions. I would be interested to hear your views of it. And anybody else who reads it. I read the Bible, I read the history of religion and the church I was raised in, it is my experience that people who have faith only read what reaffirms what they already believe. Anyway, I enjoyed you post.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back