Happy Birthday Jinky

For a wee fella from viewpark to get a standing ovation at Madrids Bernabeu speaks volumes of how the rest of the world saw his talents back in the days of real footballers jinky was a diamond in the ruff , glad i got to see his talent all be it at the tail end of his career

For a wee fella from viewpark to get a standing ovation at Madrids Bernabeu speaks volumes of how the rest of the world saw his talents back in the days of real footballers jinky was a diamond in the ruff , glad i got to see his talent all be it at the tail end of his career

Am in tears here,truly grateful for the magical times he gave us. Never seen a guy entertain a crowd and have so much respect ever. Thanks for the memories Jinky 🍀😪

Saw Jinky play many times and came away from the game sensing that I had seen one of the best players in the world. My biggest regret was the 74 World Cup when Willie Ormond refused to play Jinky in any of the games. He would have been a sensation against Brazil. England didn't qualify but some English fans went over to Germany to see Scotland play Brazil and could not believe that Jinky wasn't in the team. Well into the 2nd half and the English guys are turning to my brother and his mates and screaming why is Jimmy not coming on.Such affection for Jimmy, that even the Auld Enemy wanted to see him play. The best I seen of Jinky was at Parkhead against Dundee Utd. In a midweek game with the teams playing on a rain sodden pitch. The wee man ran the show against them and we won by 7goals but Jimmy never scored although he made plenty. After the match, Davy Wilson ( an ex Hun) took Jimmy to the centre circle and lifted his arm up and both sets of players applauded in appreciation of seeing a genius giving a master class performance.HH Jinky

Saw Jinky play many times and came away from the game sensing that I had seen one of the best players in the world. My biggest regret was the 74 World Cup when Willie Ormond refused to play Jinky in any of the games. He would have been a sensation against Brazil. England didn't qualify but some English fans went over to Germany to see Scotland play Brazil and could not believe that Jinky wasn't in the team. Well into the 2nd half and the English guys are turning to my brother and his mates and screaming why is Jimmy not coming on.Such affection for Jimmy, that even the Auld Enemy wanted to see him play. The best I seen of Jinky was at Parkhead against Dundee Utd. In a midweek game with the teams playing on a rain sodden pitch. The wee man ran the show against them and we won by 7goals but Jimmy never scored although he made plenty. After the match, Davy Wilson ( an ex Hun) took Jimmy to the centre circle and lifted his arm up and both sets of players applauded in appreciation of seeing a genius giving a master class performance.HH Jinky
Remember that night Saul, "Gie the ba' tae Jinky!" chant rang round the stadium, ma favourite is still the second half against Red Star Belgrade, but Jeez there were so many memories! ask Terry Cooper!!!!!! 🍺 🥳 Happy celestial birthday Jinky YNWA☘

My biggest regret was the 74 World Cup when Willie Ormond refused to play Jinky in any of the games. He would have been a sensation against Brazil.
I agree Jinky would have been sensational at that world cup. I'm not sure if you remember too much details of Brazil's tactics at that particular world cup but they were absolutely brutal. Because they had been booted off the park in 1966, they had decided the only way to win the WC in Europe was to become extremely physical and went down the Uruguay/Argentina/Racing Club/Atletico Madrid route of kicking the shit out of every opponent.

It is worth a few minutes of your time to check out YouTube for the assaults they inflicted on Scotland in that '74 game (go into about 6 minutes in the link below for a small taster - there is a better/worse "lowlights reel" on a BBC documentary), and as for their battle with the Total Football Dutch glamour boys - well both teams were appalling (it was more mixed martial arts than football). I fear that that Brazilian side could have ended Jinky's career if he had started turning on the style against them.

Last edited:
I agree Jinky would have been sensational at that world cup. I'm not sure if you remember too much details of Brazil's tactics at that particular world cup but they were absolutely brutal. Because they had been booted off the park in 1966, they had decided the only way to win the WC in Europe was to become extremely physical and went down the Uruguay/Argentina/Racing Club/Atletico Madrid route of kicking the shit out of every opponent.

It is worth a few minutes of your time to check out YouTube for the assaults they inflicted on Scotland in that '74 game (go into about 6 minutes in the link below for a small taster - there is a better/worse "lowlights reel" on a BBC documentary), and as for their battle with the Total Football Dutch glamour boys - well both teams were appalling (it was more mixed martial arts than football). I fear that that Brazilian side could have ended Jinky's career if he had started turning on the style against them.

Some fantastic souness type tackles in there 🤣🤣

Back