Has the modern day player got too much power?

The modern Agent, has too much influence
In it for themselves and could care less about the team, or in some instances, their players
Sign a contract, honour it
Unless there's a suitable option, whereby both parties, club and player, can be mutually satsfied that's it's beneificial

What about the players union they are pretty quick to tell clubs when they step out of line of a players contract and rights but nowhere to be seen when players go out of their way to manipulate a transfer by not abiding to the contract they signed

I agree
Changed days Bertie, integrity out the window
A case of big Unions(Executives) are like big business, Executives) much the way football, has become big business, Millions of pounds/dollars and that, turns people's heads
The average punter is expected to pay their ticket money and have no say in what transpires
Try breaking your own contrcat with your employer, you'd be out on your jacksie
Sad, but it's the way of the world

Ian Holloway is 100% spot on, when he said this when Wayne Rooney and his agent, tried to buly Fergie
Brendan Rodgers in the same spot today, contracts mean nothing

What about the players union they are pretty quick to tell clubs when they step out of line of a players contract and rights but nowhere to be seen when players go out of their way to manipulate a transfer by not abiding to the contract they signed
They are there to represent the best interests of the players, not the best interests of the club. I think its unfair to expect that of them.

Hell yes, they do.

Unfortunately - and I keep meaning to do a piece on this - our club's own transfer policy gives them even more, by marketing us as both a selling club and one that will sell any player who gets a good offer elsewhere. The problem with Dembele isn't that we broke promises - we didn't as it happens - but that the promises we did make were daft ones.

Players should be told that the club is focused on building the team. We should only sign players who are willing to commit to the cause over the course of one contract; renegotiation is fine, as long as they extend their original deals, so too is being allowed to go if the club and the player both agree with an offer that's been made, but this thing where we allow them to leave the minute someone offers them more money ... that's just mental.

I do kind of get why the club market themselves like that. It fits with a business model of bringing in and developing players then selling them on for a profit. It is a bit hard to swallow though. Agree with you to a degree on the 'one contract' but if they run it out we get no retail value or add on clauses. That commitment has to work both ways and I don't think Celtic are that committed to the players either.

No, I don't think so.

Players (and supporters before them, obvs) are what makes the game.

Compare today with the 50's and early 60's when players who were making team owners rich as hell were on a maximum wage roughly on par with their fans' and couldn't even run their contracts out and transfer without the team's permission.

I'd much rather have what we have today, or even a fairer system in which those who generate the money earn even a bigger piece of it. More member-run clubs or even player co-ops with ownership stakes.

The issue is not that players have too much power, it's that many live in a fucking bubble and are spoiled brats who can't relate to the people they owe their fortunes to. But I wouldn't like any of that power taken from players and given back to greedy owners who don't deserve a single penny of what they get out our pockets. If you tell me what the alternative is, I'll tell you if I want players to be less powerful or not.

Just imagine how different this transfer window could have been if instead of being a PLC, Celtic were run by season ticket holder-appointed directors who were accountable for their decisions and investments. Real Madrid and Barcelona are run that way and while their star players are also able to revolt and bolt out the door for more money, you can always count on money being re-invested in the team's long-term success.

I noticed a headline that Sunderland are suing one of their players who was late back to training so he could work a move away from the club. Is it time this was standard practice that clubs will stand up to players who create situations to get a transfer.

The modern player only has too much power due to the excessively biased subsidisation of certain league by satellite tv.

Our players appear to have too much power to create mayhem simply because they are underpaid in relation to the subsidised leagues.

Which over time will only get worse. The unsubsidised leagues will all become feeder clubs for the subsidised leagues. The standard will getter lower and the wages for sub standard players will get higher since even the lower divisions in subsidised leagues can afford to pay ludicrous wages.

Couple that with the culture that clubs can't die and excessive borrowing. Makes the game rather stupid for well supported non subsidised clubs because they cant even afford the players of small supported subsidised leagues.

On top of that you have the culture of tax scamming and the sheiks and billionaires joining certain subside leagues and buying up 100s of players they never intend to actually play at their club.

My conclusion is the Game is badly broke from top to bottom and has become a farcical big scam to avoid tax and give dodgy stewards Tax free remuneration straight into offshore tax havens.

And still the authorities aint interested which makes me think perhaps all upper middle class upwards are all quite happy for society to be shafted if it means they get extra 40 percent in their accounts in trusts.

Cant think off any other reason why we would have a tax scammer being hired to national manager and the BBC hiring tax scammers galore to be reporters commentators.

But like in the romans corruption collapse of their world the games must go on.

Hell yes, they do.

Unfortunately - and I keep meaning to do a piece on this - our club's own transfer policy gives them even more, by marketing us as both a selling club and one that will sell any player who gets a good offer elsewhere. The problem with Dembele isn't that we broke promises - we didn't as it happens - but that the promises we did make were daft ones.

Players should be told that the club is focused on building the team. We should only sign players who are willing to commit to the cause over the course of one contract; renegotiation is fine, as long as they extend their original deals, so too is being allowed to go if the club and the player both agree with an offer that's been made, but this thing where we allow them to leave the minute someone offers them more money ... that's just mental.

It's a matter of perspective The players probably don't think that they do

HH?

Last edited:
Bobo was financing the building of schools and hospital ect back in his village in Africa that's why he wouldn't leave Celtic. He was one of the big earners that Peter lawell had to try and move on before Scottish football imploded . Not fair for fans to think he was a money grabber.

Bobo was financing the building of schools and hospital ect back in his village in Africa that's why he wouldn't leave Celtic. He was one of the big earners that Peter lawell had to try and move on before Scottish football imploded . Not fair for fans to think he was a money grabber.
It was his wife who dug her heels in

HH?

Back