Hobbies!

I do a bit of gardening as well, I'm fucking shite at it and haven't a clue what I'm doing but I kinda like it. Built a wee greenhouse a couple of years ago and I grow the usual, tomatoes, cucumbers, catnip 😹.
I've got my wee seeds in a propagator in the kitchen, ready to go into the greenhouse when the weather gets less shite! Seedlings actually showed face this morning! Looking forward to a bit of spring and summer and outdoor time, genuinely hate the fucking winter!

About year and half ago, I found a new hobby.

I got a DAW (digital audio workstation), my intention was to try and become audiobook reader, but the system had lot of different functions.

Well I found a YouTube page from the dude who was part of the team that made the DAW and it is tutorials on how to create your own music. A bit like home music studio.

Anyway his wee videos were great for me.

Gave me a new hobby.

I would collect free Virtual instruments on the internet and then look for midi files from people who can actually write music to see if I could recreate the wee tunes, albeit on my rotten free instruments.

Between watching the free tutorials and the making wee tunes I found a great way to get lost in a wee world of music and feel as if I was useful at something :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Anyway I used to make wee tunes and in PM ask Michael Duffy to give me feedback since he knew music very well.

So that was good fun for me learning some stuff from michael

And a useful ear to point out some of the glaring production errors

My wee sister ended up buying me some premium instruments to get a better sound and over last year and half ive been reading up on midi and music theory and even video editing

Anyway I have gone from no knowledge of music production to, imo anyway :p:p:p:p, half decent amateur production producer.

I took a 10 second video clip of a guy in trump mask, chopped it into 1 sec pieces then added then back together in different orders and different speeds to create a wee video for my latest cover version

The Beatles All my loving

music is mainly synthesisers with my gibberish choir singers

The video I tried to sync to music to make it look a wee bit like its trump playing the tune

:pP:p:pP:p:p:p

Anyway I think Michael would think I have improved a lot since he first started helping me out

:p:p:p:p

My new hobby is making YouTube videos with unique music production

Well done TET not that i fully understand the process

i gave video editing a go last year but not much success so thought i'd sit down in the winter time as i'd have more time on my hands to crack it

i had foxes coming round for there dinner started to film them early summer , i'd set up a feeding station just outside the workshop and got some good videos of them using a gopro

Both male and femail would take turns gathering food and heading back to there den timed it at 4mins 23 secs so was close . filmed all summer and begining of autumn when 5 young foxes turned up for there dinner , one took exception to the GoPro and took it a walk they were followed by there maw (know her markings ) then my laptop fried in october so couldn't give the video editing a go, have had to start a fresh my brother knows how to do it so when lockdowns over i'll get a quick tutorial from him he says he can retrieve the videos

For hobbies , well since gettin my workshop built and all wired up i'll be restoring my BMW ,used to do landscaping and enjoy the gardening had a few polytunnels up aswell , relaxing and good therapy would reccomend it for anyone not coping to well in lockdown
In my younger days my main hobbies were chasing woman then as time went on there were only monsters left so gave it a rest

Last edited by a moderator:
and enjoy the gardening had a few polytunnels up aswell , relaxing and good therapy would reccomend it for anyone not coping to well in lockdown
Totally agree, first lockdown i spent all my time in the shed making shit or the garden (trying) to grow shit, loved it. The garden especially is a great thing for mental health, no need to spend fortunes on anything, just improve things bit by bit and enjoy the process, its great. I'd have found the first lockdown a right cunt without my outdoor space, no doubt about that.

Any photos of the foxes Kelly? 🦊

Totally agree, first lockdown i spent all my time in the shed making shit or the garden (trying) to grow shit, loved it. The garden especially is a great thing for mental health, no need to spend fortunes on anything, just improve things bit by bit and enjoy the process, its great. I'd have found the first lockdown a right cunt without my outdoor space, no doubt about that.

Did exactly the same. Buy yourself a big bag of citric acid powder, mix it with water and throw in all the rusted bits and bobs. I bought up loads of great quality old tools from shed clearouts. Rusted to hell but now they are tip top. Couldnt of afforded to build up my collection without it.

Did exactly the same. Buy yourself a big bag of citric acid powder, mix it with water and throw in all the rusted bits and bobs. I bought up loads of great quality old tools from shed clearouts. Rusted to hell but now they are tip top. Couldnt of afforded to build up my collection without it.
Thats weird I was reading this morning about treating rust with white vinegar, I've never tried it!
My old planes and chisels go through hours of sanding, I mean hours!
I take it the acid clears the rust but still leaves the metal pitted?
I started working on an old stanley no4 yesterday, I have another no4 thats English but this is an American one with mahogany handles and an iron with a 10 degree skew 🙄 going to be nice when its done but fuck me it takes ages!

I do a bit of gardening as well, I'm fucking shite at it and haven't a clue what I'm doing but I kinda like it. Built a wee greenhouse a couple of years ago and I grow the usual, tomatoes, cucumbers, catnip 😹.
I've got my wee seeds in a propagator in the kitchen, ready to go into the greenhouse when the weather gets less shite! Seedlings actually showed face this morning! Looking forward to a bit of spring and summer and outdoor time, genuinely hate the fucking winter!
I served ma time and spent my first 20 years in work as a gardener and even now 20 odd years later cutting the grass is still a fucking chore every now and then I flirt wi the idea of getting a wee poly tunnel then my head turns towards the campervan and I think nah fuck it I’d need automatic watering for when we are away electric outside tae power it an outside tap and tomatoes are cheap as fuck in Lidl anyway and I’m the only cunt in the house that eats them and on top of that ma degenerated disks give me GBH after planting up four tubs so who am I kidding anyway. I’m with ye on the winter I detest it that’s why I love having ma wee dog he makes me go out no matter what the weather is ah have tae wrap up and get my arse out otherwise I’d get cabin fever

all on the fried laptop , nothing this year i'd bought night vision camera as they come in the evening but the cameras been a hit or a miss and as i'd bought a chromebook it's software ain't been compatble with it i'll post some up when i get good enough images

Thats weird I was reading this morning about treating rust with white vinegar, I've never tried it!
My old planes and chisels go through hours of sanding, I mean hours!
I take it the acid clears the rust but still leaves the metal pitted?
I started working on an old stanley no4 yesterday, I have another no4 thats English but this is an American one with mahogany handles and an iron with a 10 degree skew 🙄 going to be nice when its done but fuck me it takes ages!
Rust goes and then a flap disk on an angle grinder for some things. I've bought all sorts of sanders cheap to take the elbow grease out of it.
Doesnt work with everthing but ive had a bit of luck with a big batch of old files. They cut again and the rest are tool steel or knife projects now

Back in ma gardening days we used to brush a wee drop of old engine oil on to our spades at the end of the day it stopped the clay sticking to them and kept them good when not being used and since I was employed at the council the spades idle for long periods🤣

i've got a full set of ship builders augers from as thin as needle to the largest about 5 inch diameter ot came with a box of wooden plains but the water got into them and ruined quite a few

Best of it is a fkn hate joinery work

I’ve a Lidl version of the dremel every now and then it comes out and I spend a couple of days carving some shit that looks like a 10 year olds art project and usually ends up in the bin, some times I have a go at upcyling stuff I made a tea light chandelier out of wine bottles an old bike wheel and a bird table out a sky dish and half a fire pit from a washing machine drum and a fruit bowl out the washing machine door all that ended up in the skip as well I might as well have just fucked it all in the skip tae start with

i used to buy loads of old tools at auctions as they last better and are great quality , got a huge chest of joiners tools with a full set of saws think it was 12 in the set and worth quite a bit at last count i've also got 23 lump hammers and 60 odd chisels would go round car boots and just pick them up
Old (pre 40s) 01 tool steel is a different league to modern steel, even the shit hot cost a fortune A2 steel that high end modern tool makers use. I have some old marples chisels, the oldest one is from the 1880s and they can be taken to stupid levels of sharpness and still be durable and they're just a joy to use.

i used to buy loads of old tools at auctions as they last better and are great quality , got a huge chest of joiners tools with a full set of saws think it was 12 in the set and worth quite a bit at last count i've also got 23 lump hammers and 60 odd chisels would go round car boots and just pick them up
Its an illness but I love it. I was labelled the reaper off one of one of my mates.
"Put up an ad on gumtree for old tools, you show up, clear it out, next week its the co-op in his best suit"
The thing I like is researching the old makers and getting the tools up to working condition. Most of the time the old boys that are getting rid of the "shit in the shed" are old engineers and masters of craft. They basically get rid of the stuff they dont want to restore or the wife is forcing them to shift. It's always a great bit of education.
As you said Kelly the quality is just on a different level compared to the shit now

Its an illness but I love it. I was labelled the reaper off one of one of my mates.
"Put up an ad on gumtree for old tools, you show up, clear it out, next week its the co-op in his best suit"
The thing I like is researching the old makers and getting the tools up to working condition. Most of the time the old boys that are getting rid of the "shit in the shed" are old engineers and masters of craft. They basically get rid of the stuff they dont want to restore or the wife is forcing them to shift. It's always a great bit of education.
As you said Kelly the quality is just on a different level compared to the shit now
buy a new screw driver and some screws and see what gives first the screw head or the screw driver its a close run thing

Members online

Latest posts

Back