Hobbies!

I’ve a Lidl version of the dremel every now and then it comes out and I spend a couple of days carving some shit that looks like a 10 year olds art project and usually ends up in the bin, some times I have a go at upcyling stuff I made a tea light chandelier out of wine bottles an old bike wheel and a bird table out a sky dish and half a fire pit from a washing machine drum and a fruit bowl out the washing machine door all that ended up in the skip as well I might as well have just fucked it all in the skip tae start with
Washing machine glass bowls are bomb proof.
As for the carving keep at it. I've had the lidl tool as well and a few entery dremels I got a job lot. I bought some burs that were rated highly and they cut and skipped less. I was still shite at it but my shiteness decreased a wee bit.
There is nothing better than crafting a bit of folk art.

Washing machine glass bowls are bomb proof.
As for the carving keep at it. I've had the lidl tool as well and a few entery dremels I got a job lot. I bought some burs that were rated highly and they cut and skipped less. I was still shite at it but my shiteness decreased a wee bit.
There is nothing better than crafting a bit of folk art.
although I’m shit Its one of the few things that I can get lost in and not be thinking about anything else while I’m at it once it warms up a bit I’ll drag it out again

Its an illness but I love it. I was labelled the reaper off one of one of my mates.
"Put up an ad on gumtree for old tools, you show up, clear it out, next week its the co-op in his best suit"
The thing I like is researching the old makers and getting the tools up to working condition. Most of the time the old boys that are getting rid of the "shit in the shed" are old engineers and masters of craft. They basically get rid of the stuff they dont want to restore or the wife is forcing them to shift. It's always a great bit of education.
As you said Kelly the quality is just on a different level compared to the shit now
Used to be a good auction in Boness called Mannings it's closed down now but they used to have loads of shed clearance tools and old joiners/engineers box's full of tools ,some were fantastic buys and you could pick up old gardening implements for cheap that would be top quality

Grovesnors auction in Boness gets the same but no in large quantity

in england there are loads of vintage tool auctions also great for reference

Used to be a good auction in Boness called Mannings it's closed down now but they used to have loads of shed clearance tools and old joiners/engineers box's full of tools ,some were fantastic buys and you could pick up old gardening implements for cheap that would be top quality

I lived in Bo'ness as a kitten!

Reactions: TET
I’ve a Lidl version of the dremel every now and then it comes out and I spend a couple of days carving some shit that looks like a 10 year olds art project and usually ends up in the bin, some times I have a go at upcyling stuff I made a tea light chandelier out of wine bottles an old bike wheel and a bird table out a sky dish and half a fire pit from a washing machine drum and a fruit bowl out the washing machine door all that ended up in the skip as well I might as well have just fucked it all in the skip tae start with
mines still in the box

in england there are loads of vintage tool auctions also great for reference

I will keep an eye out for it. I was really lucky as there was a cracking old celt that had did years of the markets and auctions and he sold me nearly a full workshop of stuff. Gentleman. He was fair with the pricing and gave me a real head start.

I bought myself a dremel for Christmas (the only way I'd get a present) not really used it yet and I'm not sure I'll ever find it useful, bit of a gimmick tool I think, could be wrong.
Its a craft/small detail must have. Great for detail sanding
I'd still recommend buying every super cheap 2nd hand angle grinder you can find. Put a different disk or attachment each and throw them all in a box. The best quick and dirty tool I've ever used

Last edited:
Lidl and Aldi should be done for GBH on the pocket thankfully Ive reached the stage where I’ve bought all their stuff at some point and can just stroll past it besides there’s nae room in ma shed
Scares the shit out of me when you see properly dangerous tools that were once the preserve of the trained professional for sale cheap as fuck in some shops, old uncle bert who canny handle a knife and fork spends 40 quid and buys a chainsaw 😳

I bought myself a dremel for Christmas (the only way I'd get a present) not really used it yet and I'm not sure I'll ever find it useful, bit of a gimmick tool I think, could be wrong.
I used mine a fair bit when building ma last campervan but I suppose if I was any good wi a jigsaw which I’m not ah wouldn’t have had so much tiding up and wee adjustments tae make

I did a bit of barley twist turning on the lathe last year and thought the dremel would be good for sanding the twisty bits, not tried it for that yet but it might be useful.
Get stuck in with a file first and mark it all out well. An agressive tri rasp will get it done then finer. Rotating as you go in a vice. The sand paper wheel will clean it all up and use one of the wee burrs to cut deep twist lines. Sandpaper round a punch or pen will even it out more

Got typing before reading 😁 if its all set and lathe cut already then whittle a wee dowel as a round pointed sanding block to finish it up. You will be able to polish the twist really well with the right bit if all the work is one already

Last edited:
I will keep an eye out for it. I was really lucky as there was a cracking old celt that had did years of the markets and auctions and he sold me nearly a full workshop of stuff. Gentleman. He was fair with the pricing and gave me a real head start.
lawrie and symington auctions have an implement sale in Lanark also one in forfar although never been to the forfar one ,it's on all day auction split into 3 different auctions ,,,tractors trailers quads cars then there's the implement field which has everything ,,,,there's a junk end which has about 400 lots 2 auctioneers tons of old tools some boxs go for a pound some a tenner
lockdown put a stop to it but when its back to normal it's worth a day out

Thats weird I was reading this morning about treating rust with white vinegar, I've never tried it!
My old planes and chisels go through hours of sanding, I mean hours!
I take it the acid clears the rust but still leaves the metal pitted?
I started working on an old stanley no4 yesterday, I have another no4 thats English but this is an American one with mahogany handles and an iron with a 10 degree skew 🙄 going to be nice when its done but fuck me it takes ages!
They're rosewood handles, you tit 🙄

All very interesting and impressive stuff guys and girls. I probably do a variety of stuff rather than anything specific. I joined the walking football as always played in some capacity up until late 40's. Great for honing the one and two touch skills and trust me some of these bhoys have still got it.Great bunch of lads between 50 to late 60's. Love long walks by the sea and anything nature related. We like to feed the foxes squirrels and birds reponsibly of course and more recently we have deer visiting the garden.
We are very much into our Soul music and are regular followers of the soul music charts and have seen many concerts Over the years, the last 10 years we have attended an annual get together of soul music lovers for a week in the sun abroad with our favourite being Salou Soul. .3 to 400 like minded people ages ranging from 40's to over 60's , we have our own DJ's from the Soul radio stations Solar /Crackers radio etc. Our own nightclub venues and we are all still grooving to the sounds. There are plenty of activities during the day at our poolside with live DJ's..not unlike the Celtic Vegas style pool party with slightly different sounds but brilliant to be part of it.
Obviously a lot of these activities are currently curtailed so I too am very grateful to have my outside space and enjoy my gardening.

Don't know where to start with this thread; ever since I was a kid in primary school I've been captivated by wildlife. I also enjoy photography and so try to combine the two. Got to say I'm nowhere near the class of Lennono, his shots are just superb. Keeping fit, ( even in my declining years I still work out ), reading,( mostly non-fiction ). My music collection. I could go on, but I would bore you to tears.

Back