Hobbies!

Big Bobo's bunnet

I've come across fedco hand tools never knew they made planes though. What sort of age is your 4 and 4 1/2?
Nothing rare or exciting. Just stuff an ape can scuff up and get working.
4 is 50s/60s Bailey and what I wanted. the 4 1/2 is a later offering with the composite handles. Only looked briefly but is probably 80s. Still solid and the parts seem to be decent. Thought it was older when I found it. For an initial bid of £7.50 I quickly buried it in the rust pile. Beside the better finds.
Chuck the shite over the good bits and offer for the stack.
Most of the time it's a take this shite out my garage/shed effort. Fine by me.
The fedco is a mystery. There are bits and bobs on it that are blatant clones. The sticker is vintage but everything else bar the handles are shite.
There's zero online. It's still a usable tool but it must of been a limited low (for its day) quantity run. No idea how good the iron is.

Hoopy427

Nothing rare or exciting. Just stuff an ape can scuff up and get working.
4 is 50s/60s Bailey and what I wanted. the 4 1/2 is a later offering with the composite handles. Only looked briefly but is probably 80s. Still solid and the parts seem to be decent. Thought it was older when I found it. For an initial bid of £7.50 I quickly buried it in the rust pile. Beside the better finds.
Chuck the shite over the good bits and offer for the stack.
Most of the time it's a take this shite out my garage/shed effort. Fine by me.
The fedco is a mystery. There are bits and bobs on it that are blatant clones. The sticker is vintage but everything else bar the handles are shite.
There's zero online. It's still a usable tool but it must of been a limited low (for its day) quantity run. No idea how good the iron is.
Leonard Bailey was a genius, I love that a tool designed over 150 years ago is still what pretty much everyone still copies today, even high end plane makers. Any pre 70s Bailey can be set up to be fantastic, after that Stanley's quality got a bit sketchy. Someone gave me a modern (5 or 10 years old) stanley block plane, thank fuck I never bought it its absolute scrap!

Big Bobo's bunnet

Leonard Bailey was a genius, I love that a tool designed over 150 years ago is still what pretty much everyone still copies today, even high end plane makers. Any pre 70s Bailey can be set up to be fantastic, after that Stanley's quality got a bit sketchy. Someone gave me a modern (5 or 10 years old) stanley block plane, thank fuck I never bought it its absolute scrap!
From what I've put my paws on. Doesn't matter what it is. The old stuff that's still relevant and not collectors grade that was made before the 70s are some of the best things I've used hand tools wise. It's the steel in the cutting tools and the build and heft in most of the others.
The job won't get done quicker but my 5yrold lad might still have a few when he is an auld fart

Hoopy427

From what I've put my paws on. Doesn't matter what it is. The old stuff that's still relevant and not collectors grade that was made before the 70s are some of the best things I've used hand tools wise. It's the steel in the cutting tools and the build and heft in most of the others.
The job won't get done quicker but my 5yrold lad might still have a few when he is an auld fart
I have modern marples chisels that I use for work and they're fine, strong as hell, do the job but the edge I can get on my pre war marples is in a different league.

Big Bobo's bunnet

Bought a wee 1x30 belt grinder recently to do knife blades. Great wee tool. Most of my recent has been taking the bulky heel off of German knifes with a bench grinder and reshaping.
That wee lip that stops you cutting onions.
Thought my honing and sharpening was off but I've did the same and the old steel , now only expensive efforts only can shave. Work then shave again.
Sharp and sharp

Members online

Latest posts