Hobbies!

I've made a few leather bits before but this has been a task.
The seat was fucked...then it got caught on a customer and got ripped apart.
My restaurant was quoted £400 to recover the lower seat in the same grade of leather.
Stupidly offered to try and restore it instead. Called the repair shop "thieving B@ST##DS"
Stripped, patched, filled, sanded, dyed, conditioned and lacquered.

Attachments

• 20210407_214206.jpg
    20210407_214206.jpg
    971.2 KB · Views: 13
The American Stanley is done, lots of metal polishing! Irons been honed down to 1200 grit and leather stropped. Handles are rosewood, rear one was snapped in two, had to be joined, sanded and French polished. Doesn't have its original iron it's a Sheffield one. Photos aren't great just using my phone with flash.
View attachment 13917
View attachment 13919View attachment 13920
Picked up a 4 and a 4 1/2 recently for the same treatment. Good work sir

I've made a few leather bits before but this has been a task.
The seat was fucked...then it got caught on a customer and got ripped apart.
My restaurant was quoted £400 to recover the lower seat in the same grade of leather.
Stupidly offered to try and restore it instead. Called the repair shop "thieving B@ST##DS"
Stripped, patched, filled, sanded, dyed, conditioned and lacquered.
That's fantastic work mate.

Bought my 4 in OK condition because I needed one. 2 days later I found an old 4 1/2 and a mystery fedco 4 (not as well made but good) for £15 in a shed clearing.
Depends if you can be arsed hunting about

I would use it, but at that age its a pretty rare thing. Rosewood handles, low knob, patent dates all over the place. Doesn't have the original iron (it's a bloody record one!) And the rear tote is fucked so I'll probably leave it.
Had a look there's a couple on ebay the now. Newer and will be good to go.
Get that ton spent

Bought my 4 in OK condition because I needed one. 2 days later I found an old 4 1/2 and a mystery fedco 4 (not as well made but good) for £15 in a shed clearing.
Depends if you can be arsed hunting about
I've come across fedco hand tools never knew they made planes though. What sort of age is your 4 and 4 1/2?

Great website here in Ireland lads. Don't know if you've heard of it adverts.ie
Great for haggling for stuff. Here's a link to a lad selling planes
Cheers I'll keep an eye on it, he's a bit pricey for record planes, mind you it's euros init? So a bit less in pounds.

Great website here in Ireland lads. Don't know if you've heard of it adverts.ie
Great for haggling for stuff. Here's a link to a lad selling planes
Brilliant thanks for the link. I'm always scouring sites for tool deals. That lad seems to have his prices. Fair to him. I'm more of a pic of a junk pile and spot something type.
Guaranteed I'll be on that app digging about

Cheers I'll keep an eye on it, he's a bit pricey for record planes, mind you it's euros init? So a bit less in pounds.
The good thing about that site compared to donedeal and gum tree is the fact that you can bid on the stuff. I've bought loads a stuff off it. I got steel shelves for my van worth €900 New. The seller was looking for 450 second hand but in great condition and I bid him 100. We settled on 120. So don't go by the asking price. Test the water with a lowball bid. I enjoy the craic haggling.

Brilliant thanks for the link. I'm always scouring sites for tool deals. That lad seems to have his prices. Fair to him. I'm more of a pic of a junk pile and spot something type.
Guaranteed I'll be on that app digging about
Bid way lower than he's asking. A good sign is if it's been up a while, then there's a better chance they'll take any offer just to get rid of it.

Members online

Latest posts

Back