Holidaying In Scotland

I guess it depends on what they like. Of course, there is always Stirling and Edinburgh castles, but they will probably be well aware of these famous places. The scenery over on the west is amazing. I love places like Plockton, Applecross, Skye and Glenfinnan.

Aviemore is a nice place for an overnight stay and if they want to do Scottish things then the Whisky trail in Moray/Speyside is good (Glenfiddich distillery tour in Dufftown is highly recommended and near to the Speyside Cooperage outside Aberlour where you see them prepping the barrels for whisky).

Some lovely scenery in Deeside (but maybe too much "royal" pish as you get nearer to Blamoral) - Ballater is a good stop-off. Then down towards the Angus glens. Arbroath is gearing up for the 700th anniversary of the Declaration of Arbroath so maybe worth visiting the abbey. Remember to stop-off in Forfar for a real bridie (always buy from McLaren's NOT Saddlers).

Pitlochry is a perfect stop-over as well just a short drive from stunning Perthshire scenery.

Orkney is amazing - fantastic history and the friendliest people you will ever meet.

I find it's always better head over scenic roads like the Spittal of Glenshee rather than down the dual carriageways.

Midges are to be avoided at all cost, best way IMHO, 2 weeks before you travel start a one a day course of oderless garlic capsules and take one each day while you are here, works a treat.

For a scenic drive, I find the road North through Glencoe a lovely drive, much better although longer than the more direct A9.

I would suggest a visit to Sky, off the west coast, and perhaps a trip to Dingwall on the east , that is also a beauty of a drive. between the 2. Coincidentally I'm in Dingwall at the moment for a few days RnR, so maybe biased ?. Loads of beautiful places to visit within a short drive, Loch Ness (they will have to time it right to see the monster though), Culloden, scene of a battle between England and Scotland. And for shopping its near Inverness. Plenty other options, but they are my personal favourites.

Or just eat garlic as it’s brilliant for you. I never get bitten. They fucking know better. :)

While not everyone's cup of tea - you might want to visit Ibrokes before it is pulled down to make way for the Mike Ashley Memorial Car Park .
When it's gone , it's gone !
Or , you could wait for the POP-up stadium which will replace but it will just not give the same satisfaction - so see it while you can !

HH

I live in Aberdour in Fife not far from St Andrews and Anstruther and Elie on the East Neuk of Fife I can recommend and near enough to Edinburgh too.

I often stay in the Premier inn at the top of West Nile Street (near Buchanan St Bus Station) when coming through to Glasgow now. It’s reasonably priced and is relatively new along with central location.
Hope this helps

??HH

Who eats garlic raw?

Well that is the theory behind keeping midges at bay, hence the oderless tablets, one a day for 2 weeks and one each day you are here, the cooking of garlic will reduce its effect meaning you will have to use more to keep the effect consistent. Not to mention you would have to have it with at least one meal per day. However dont let me stop you doing it your way, I was offering advice to someone else, if your method works for you good on you.

Well that is the theory behind keeping midges at bay, hence the oderless tablets, one a day for 2 weeks and one each day you are here, the cooking of garlic will reduce its effect meaning you will have to use more to keep the effect consistent. Not to mention you would have to have it with at least one meal per day. However dont let me stop you doing it your way, I was offering advice to someone else, if your method works for you good on you.
I get eaten alive but the little buggers, so use various methods at once - high strength odourless garlic capsules, B vitamin tablets, Smidge repellent and also take anti-histamine tablet beforehand so it doesn't itch if I do get bitten as scratching makes it worse.

If ye are visiting in August spend a few days in Edinburgh at the festival and go to a venue/pub/madhouse called the Smirnoff Underbelly especially on Friday or Saturday night. Brilliant, Bizzare and totally nuts. Midnight underground tours n all that.
When I go with friends we rent an apartment for a week. It works out way cheaper per person than a hotel plus ye can cook for yourself if ye want.
Everyone should go at least once, some crazy shows n some crazy venues

Back