Hollywood managers. Be careful what we wish for ?

Celtic Ghostie

Howe career ave win rate 40% EPL 37%
Martinez Championship 40% EPL 42%
Benitez Serie A 60% EPL 57% China 37%
Mourinho Spurs 51%
Kotal Sparta Prague 66% and sacked after one year ( last week )
Lennon Celtic 70% Hibs 50% Bolton 29%

Have a think about that list where the 68 year old Vaclav Kotal has the best record ( outside of Lenny ) and was just punted by Sparta and if we appointed him ?? Season ticket boycott ,club merchandise boycott, sack the board campaigns, f*ck Celtic and their lack of ambition banners, the green brigade were right all along drivel - Or have I read it all wrong ???.

P.S. I was going to break down the career stats for all of them but ran out of steam in my despondency. I know the decision with Lenny was inevitable but I'm truly sad for the Bhoy
🍀 🍀 🍀 :confused::confused:🍀🍀🍀
I'm heartened by Damien Duffs opinion of John Kennedy.

The stats mean nothing. It all depends on the team that you manage at the time.

Based on your assessment J Barnes would be an outstanding candidate.

Exactly KC.

Easy to laud Lenny's stats and deride those of the others when you overlook the fundamentals like the standard of opposition these guys were up against in their respective leagues, the resources of the opposition they faced and the ability of the opposition to attract a better quality of player due to being bigger richer clubs.

Lenny had every advantage possible compared to these guys......he managed the country's biggest club, the country' richest club (who could outspend all the rest put together) and he had the country's biggest and best squad of players. I reckon if you put any of those guys into Lenny's shoes they would have blown his stats out the water.

I'd also argue that the only people on that list who come anywhere near to being considered 'Hollywood' managers are Benitez and Mourinho. I personally don't get all the fuss when it comes to Howe and Martinez, they're not outstanding candidates for me and I've never even heard of Kotal.

Thats what I was trying to define. It may be a case of what we can afford rather than what we want in respect of Coaches AND players and the stats were not an opinion they were just to flag up the fact that Hollywood expenditure does not guarantee Hollywood results.
Despite his win rate ( he won their national cup competition by the way ) Kotal was punted for poor European performances ?? as well as under performing ?? in the league.
None of our Hollywood candidates have worked under the continuous demand to be first. Two draws and a defeat and these guys would wonder why we were throwing bricks at their windaes 😂😂😂.
Only Steve Clarke, Roy Keane or Alex Neil would really know what they were getting into

I can't see us going for a Hollywood manager anyway. The clubs financial situation isn't going to improve much this year with a real doubt about fans being back next season. Can't see shelling out for a megabucks manager. If he impresses over the rest of this season, it will be Kennedy.
Sorry LC, I liked yer post and thought I was responding to it but it but my reply went up as a post instead

I reckon we are going left field on the new manager. Someone who hasn't managed at the top level. Maybe some one we've heard of as a player. Kennedy it is then. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Apart from Rodgers who saw us as a stepping stone to relaunch his career, I don't think we have appointed a Hollywood manager this century. Most sensible fans haven't clamoured for a Hollywood manager either and quite frankly were shocked when Rodgers joined us (but not as shocked as when he left us).

I think most of us are pragmatic and realistic in who we want appointed. I personally would love Howe but there have been other fantastic suggestions of potential foreign coaches, all of whom are sensible and affordable targets.

I don't think looking purely at out-of-context stats such winning % or trophies won provides much depth to each argument as it ignores the status of the team and difficulty of that league. Also bear in mind the that Celtic could never attract or afford the actual managers in these countries who are winning most matches and/or trophies.

Yes, these stats are interesting but beyond that I'd not put too much emphasis on them!

Stephen McManus promoted to first team coach for the remainder of the season.

Not sure if that is a promotion mind you. 😱
Even as a young teenager McManus was able to organise the defenders round him so hopefully that is a step forward for us. I always felt his playing career was hampered when Kennedy got injured - I think they could have developed into a good pairing with McManus the no nonsense fairly limited player who had to work hard for every achievement alongside the graceful and skillful Kennedy. Let's hope it works.

McManus is a great Celtic man, he captained the Club well through Jinky passing and TB too. There's little doubt he'll be keeping players well informed of what they're playing for!

Don't know at what stage his coaching skills are, tho...

'Mon The 'Tic!

Members online

Latest posts

Back