Hollywood managers. Be careful what we wish for ?

The Lions back 4 were pretty effective but you didn't fuck with Auld or Murdoch either.
Best of the lot for getting even was TG. Still remember him sneaking up on the Racing Club guy while there was a fracas at other end and booting him right in the nuts. TV commentator was almost apoplectic.
Funniest one was a Scotland game against Germany. One of them (Haller?) clipped Tommy’s ankle. He then got up, chased the twat 15 yds and kicked him 10 ft in the air. Right in front of the ref! Red card of course but it was so fkn funny.
Just noticed WC’s article on Tommy interview and he talks about these incidents in there. Still really funny to watch if you ever get the chance.
He wiz always kicking the hun winger Henderson up in the air as well. Saw a few crackers there.

Just noticed WC’s article on Tommy interview and he talks about these incidents in there. Still really funny to watch if you ever get the chance.
He wiz always kicking the hun winger Henderson up in the air as well. Saw a few crackers there.
Big Tams kick aganest Haller is whit El Fat Bastardio got away wae v us in 2019 game!! 🤬🤬🤬.. At least Tommy only kicked the German Cunt wance!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Danny McGrain was truly world class playing either full back position. And unusually he would have fitted in - and stood out as exceptional - in any time period between post-WW2 to the modern era. He was hard as nails, fair, fast, clever and skillful. To player with diabetes during those days was incredible and he came bsck after the horrific fractured skull injury and still got stuck in abouts. He is a fantastic person and very humble and funny too.
Now there's a statue for you.

We have had great players, but how many would say were world class? I'd start with Danny McGrain, he would have walked into any team in the world. Now troops tell me who you think was World class. 🍀🍀
McGrain definitely. I'd say Dalglish too in that he was bought by the current European Champions to try to replace the "irreplaceable" superstar and he was actually even better and scored the winner as they retained the European Cup. In 2009 Four Four Two magazine named him the greatest post-war striker in British football, so it isn't just our biasness showing either.

You can make a case for Larsson too.

McGrain definitely. I'd say Dalglish too in that he was bought by the current European Champions to try to replace the "irreplaceable" superstar and he was actually even better and scored the winner as they retained the European Cup. In 2009 Four Four Two magazine named him the greatest post-war striker in British football, so it isn't just our biasness showing either.

You can make a case for Larsson too.
You know BB we could have put all the lions in there as well. Although I know some of the lions were better than others. But they all won as a team. 🍀🍀

You know BB we could have put all the lions in there as well. Although I know some of the lions were better than others. But they all won as a team. 🍀🍀
As I said to Lennono on the Dream Team thread, we think of the Lisbon Lions as being this all-conquering side that played for years beating all before them. The reality is that this famous 11 only ever started 11 games together. there were quite a few supporting players who did their bit in winning us trophies but because they never started on that wonderful day in Lisbon they have almost been unfairly ignored.

Of course, we were only allowed a substitute goalie so Fallon got to be on the bench for the final but there were others who played their part around that time but it rarely gets recognised these days. Not that they would care because even as just Celtic supporters they will have taken great delight in the club (and squad) winning the big cup and they will have an inner pride for their outstanding contributions - whether on the pitch or even just on the training ground to help push on the first team players to greater things.

We have had great players, but how many would say were world class? I'd start with Danny McGrain, he would have walked into any team in the world. Now troops tell me who you think was World class. 🍀🍀
Has to be Larsson if were talking world class whilst at Celtic, VVD is world class but tbh I wouldnt say that he was, or that I could see him as the world class, soon to be most expensive defender in the world player he is now when he was with us. Still developing at Celtic and broke into the Dutch squad at CP and could see he would get better and hes matured and improved incredibly since then. Larsson had already played in a world cup semi final and scored in the 3rd place play off before he signed for us. I would also rate Dembele as world class and would be amazed if he doesnt show it at Atletico Madrid soon as they realise he's better than the ageing Suarez, the only thing that might hinder him is their style of defensive football. World class can mean different things to different people though imo if, for example you have the likes of say edouard or moussa and they break into the french starting XI then by definition you could say they are world class as France are currently world champions and European runners up . Then there's the Ronaldo, messi, ronaldinho, Larsson bracket of player who would walk into any side in the world ( except ours, they'd make our bench though along with the rest of our better players lol). I thought that Alan Thomson was world class at Celtic but was victim of the snobbery imo of the English who dont rate our standard of football, even though our record against England's top sides has always been better than good. Only Arsenal have been too much for us in all the years I've watched Celtic against EPL sides, weve always performed against England's best, most will point to the 2nil win at Anfield but I personally took great great pleasure in the 'Souness penis' victory at Blackburns Ewood park after the 1-0 win at CP when Souness said it was men against bhoys, but the bhoys had a certain world class player in Larsson ( amongst others) who scored in the last 5 minutes. That game , Blackburn played really well and had some class players themselves in their side Freidel, Tugay, Duff, Yorke, Cole and we were given no chance but the English medias snobbery thing didnt account for our own great players. Balde, Larsson, Thompson, Sutton, Lennon, Agathe, Lambert, Petrov , Maloney and of course that Rangers reject Hartson .
"
If Celtic score one then we can score three. Hopefully by 10pm tonight people will be saying 'Bloody hell, that Blackburn are a good side'.'
Graeme Souness (ex-Rangers manager prior to the second leg against Blackburn, 2003
I always remember that, just before we went there and played them off the park, £15 quid it cost me to get into CP that night and Blackburn were quite good but not as good as Souness made out, they had the better possession but the stats showed we had more opportunities. That run all came on the back of the artmedia Bratislava games. Sorry for going off topic a wee tiny bit 😆 love those memories , well worth a wee rant HH ☘

Has to be Larsson if were talking world class whilst at Celtic, VVD is world class but tbh I wouldnt say that he was, or that I could see him as the world class, soon to be most expensive defender in the world player he is now when he was with us. Still developing at Celtic and broke into the Dutch squad at CP and could see he would get better and hes matured and improved incredibly since then. Larsson had already played in a world cup semi final and scored in the 3rd place play off before he signed for us. I would also rate Dembele as world class and would be amazed if he doesnt show it at Atletico Madrid soon as they realise he's better than the ageing Suarez, the only thing that might hinder him is their style of defensive football. World class can mean different things to different people though imo if, for example you have the likes of say edouard or moussa and they break into the french starting XI then by definition you could say they are world class as France are currently world champions and European runners up . Then there's the Ronaldo, messi, ronaldinho, Larsson bracket of player who would walk into any side in the world ( except ours, they'd make our bench though along with the rest of our better players lol). I thought that Alan Thomson was world class at Celtic but was victim of the snobbery imo of the English who dont rate our standard of football, even though our record against England's top sides has always been better than good. Only Arsenal have been too much for us in all the years I've watched Celtic against EPL sides, weve always performed against England's best, most will point to the 2nil win at Anfield but I personally took great great pleasure in the 'Souness penis' victory at Blackburns Ewood park after the 1-0 win at CP when Souness said it was men against bhoys, but the bhoys had a certain world class player in Larsson ( amongst others) who scored in the last 5 minutes. That game , Blackburn played really well and had some class players themselves in their side Freidel, Tugay, Duff, Yorke, Cole and we were given no chance but the English medias snobbery thing didnt account for our own great players. Balde, Larsson, Thompson, Sutton, Lennon, Agathe, Lambert, Petrov , Maloney and of course that Rangers reject Hartson .
"
If Celtic score one then we can score three. Hopefully by 10pm tonight people will be saying 'Bloody hell, that Blackburn are a good side'.'
Graeme Souness (ex-Rangers manager prior to the second leg against Blackburn, 2003
I always remember that, just before we went there and played them off the park, £15 quid it cost me to get into CP that night and Blackburn were quite good but not as good as Souness made out, they had the better possession but the stats showed we had more opportunities. That run all came on the back of the artmedia Bratislava games. Sorry for going off topic a wee tiny bit 😆 love those memories , well worth a wee rant HH ☘
Always remember the "Men against boys " quote from that first leg against Blackburn and Henrik ramming it down their throats in the interview after the second leg. 😛😛😛

I would also rate Dembele as world class and would be amazed if he doesnt show it at Atletico Madrid soon as they realise he's better than the ageing Suarez, the only thing that might hinder him is their style of defensive football.
Atletico have actually completely changed their playing style this season and have become a very attacking team! So Moussa may well benefit from this and become that huge striker we all believe he can become.

Desmond better get the manager appointment right. If it aint a NAME our club will suffer badly financialy due to lack of season ticket renewals etc. Some families for example presently have four season ticket holders to watch one tv. Families have come under pressure financialy due to covid. Player values have dropped. Rebuilding is gonna cost BIG money.

Members online

Latest posts

Back