How close are we to a united Ireland?

Lubos left peg

I'm not fully clued up on irish politics. Will the next Irish prime minister be from Sinn Fein?
If so, is creating a United Ireland still a main policy for them?
I've only heard bits and pieces on the news. And as you'd imagine, being in england, they are more eager to tell us Sinn Fein are, or were the political wing of the IRA than give us any real info.

They only fielded 42 candidates Lubo, a serious error from Sinn Fein, although they've had a good couple of weeks in the polls in the run up to the vote, two things may now happen mate FF/SF coalition, or possibly another quick election to sort it out, this could be good for the shinners as they could field more candidates.

They only fielded 42 candidates Lubo, a serious error from Sinn Fein, although they've had a good couple of weeks in the polls in the run up to the vote, two things may now happen mate FF/SF coalition, or possibly another quick election to sort it out, this could be good for the shinners as they could field more candidates.

We can only hope closer Lubo things are changing slowly but surely
They will be United again.

HH 🇮🇪

Thanks. If a coalition was to be formed. Who would be the top dogs. Like when we had the Con-dems here, Cameron was in charge. Is it the same in Ireland? Would one main party be running the show with the smaller party assisting them? Feel free to tell me to f#¤k of and google it 😂😂😂

Thanks. If a coalition was to be formed. Who would be the top dogs. Like when we had the Con-dems here, Cameron was in charge. Is it the same in Ireland? Would one main party be running the show with the smaller party assisting them? Feel free to tell me to f#¤k of and google it 😂😂😂
No way will FG will go into coalition with SF without Varadkar left looking like a complete hypocrite. FF and SF teaming up is a possibility but no way definite. Its a wee bit like when Maggie May called the election recently and lost her overall majority, chaos reigned for a while, don't think it will be much different in Ireland.

Voters in Ireland are a fickle lot, the results, for SF, in this election will mean nothing if they cannot follow up their words with action. Voters, in the south,will kick you out as quick as they kicked you in. SF made a lot of promises along the way and it will not be easy to deliver on them, if in government. Hopefully this is not a one off protest vote and is the shape of better things to come. Here, in the north, voters are more likely to stick with a certain party, no matter what, not so much in the south, though a lot of younger voters turned to SF. TAL

Last edited:
I'm not fully clued up on irish politics. Will the next Irish prime minister be from Sinn Fein?
I've only heard bits and pieces on the news. And as you'd imagine, being in england, they are more eager to tell us Sinn Fein are, or were the political wing of the IRA than give us any real info.
That’s it Lubo,the English have a lot to answer for in their dealings with Ireland,no way do I condone actions in Ireland/N/Ireland ,but can understand fully their actions , death and destruction is no way to rule a country,my wife’s grandfather was fighting for his freedom from oppression,!!!!!,but , I was not there , how would I react,in the same position ,Has to be said have more empathy with the Irish than the English ,parliament !!!!which caused the troubles , trouble with the English ,is their ‘empire’ attitude, am I right or wrong , just my view, hh

Youngs ones no longer voting the way there parents did and more active now like everyone else there fed up with the same old same old and want to be heard ,noticed at the council elections ,local elections younger ones are more active now especially SF, can only comment on the north west

Youngs ones no longer voting the way there parents did and more active now like everyone else there fed up with the same old same old and want to be heard ,noticed at the council elections ,local elections younger ones are more active now especially SF, can only comment on the north west
Yes ,the young are now very much involved now,as you say pissed off with the same old,my daughter lives in the outskirts of Derry ,married and has family ,been there for 10 years or so now ,and can see a difference, but and a big BUT , still young on both sides out to cause trouble,? Going back to Lubo’s question ,will it unite ,personally ,yes it will, sooner than some think !!!!!!!!!hh

Yes B ,that was mentioned on interviews, in Ireland ,next time they will have many more standing ,if they feel they can get a result ,but whatever happens,I hope and pray that it is for the betterment of all in the island ,I don’t want my grandkids in Derry to be having to fight for survival in the future,how it will be achieved god knows ,I don’t ,but hope for the best ,hh

I find Irish politics quite complex, good post Ray.
The British Empire history is no longer taught in schools.
I often wonder why!!.
Agree S!,very complex,made more so ,in my view by the people who want to hold onto the ‘empire ‘attitude, that’s the feeling of being in control still! ,getting to be in the minority now ,the ‘empire’ to me no longer being taught ,all about brutality,slavery,in the days before the world wars,sure the ‘empire’ came together then and rightly so,but that was a vast difference to what they did in Ireland ,look, an no expert ,and don’t profess to be ,just have a strong feeling about this ,as I do re Scotland ,which off course is a different matter ,again my views only ,hh

It's all up in the air at the minute. Fianna Fáil got 38 seats, Sinn Fein got 37, but I think 35 of them were first preference votes. Sinn Fein are tryin to form a leftist government with smaller left leaning parties and independents. But I'm not sure if the numbers add up.
In regards a united Ireland, there's a few factors there that could lean towards unity. If Scotland secure independence then it will only be a matter of time til we get the same, because the so called Union will be in tatters. But Sinn Fein are the only all Ireland party at the minute and now have a strong voice both sides of the border.
The first move will be for a border poll in the north. If there is a majority for a United Ireland then it will go to a referendum in the south. That has all been agreed in the good Friday agreement. However I wouldn't hold my breath on the south wanting the north, because of the unionists. Plus a lot of Catholics in the north don't want to join the south, because of nhs, education and the general cost of living. It's still complicated, so if you scots would get your fuckin finger out, it would solve a lot of problems!

It's all up in the air at the minute. Fianna Fáil got 38 seats, Sinn Fein got 37, but I think 35 of them were first preference votes. Sinn Fein are tryin to form a leftist government with smaller left leaning parties and independents. But I'm not sure if the numbers add up.
In regards a united Ireland, there's a few factors there that could lean towards unity. If Scotland secure independence then it will only be a matter of time til we get the same, because the so called Union will be in tatters. But Sinn Fein are the only all Ireland party at the minute and now have a strong voice both sides of the border.
The first move will be for a border poll in the north. If there is a majority for a United Ireland then it will go to a referendum in the south. That has all been agreed in the good Friday agreement. However I wouldn't hold my breath on the south wanting the north, because of the unionists. Plus a lot of Catholics in the north don't want to join the south, because of nhs, education and the general cost of living. It's still complicated, so if you scots would get your fuckin finger out, it would solve a lot of problems!
Complicated D is an understatement, personally I thing if unity comes it will be in Ireland first ,the unionist in England for some reason will not let go up here,?bearing in mind we are told often enough by the electorate down south they want rid of us !!!!!!!!,and agree with the statement about ,nhs,education cost of living down in the south ,who knows maybe Sinn Fein, have an answer,hh

Members online

Latest posts

Back