How Do We Feel About Our Rivals?

Spherical Planet

I love Scottish football. I know it might not be the most technically gifted league and the guardians of our game are about as much use as a chocolate teapot, but I love Scottish football nonetheless.

I'm going to offer my impressions of the sides we ply our trade against and why I admire or passionately dislike what they stand for.

Aberdeen:

Historically, I have nothing but respect for what Aberdeen have achieved. Their Cup Winners Cup victory was an incredible feat considering the opposition they had to encounter during their run. Their victory against Bayern Munich at Pittodrie must stand as one of the top 5 Scottish results in European football and for a 10-year period, they were a side I feared when Celtic had to play them. Due to their geography and catchment area, Aberdeen could sustain a fan base that would far outstrip several clubs currently playing in the EPL. They may not have global appeal, but they have enough local support to remain a serious challenger given the resources to do so.

Hearts:

I don't like Hearts. I don't like what they stand for. I don't like their fans. I don't like their false sense of entitlement.

However, like Aberdeen, they have the potential to be a genuinely big club if they were to focus on cutting their cloth accordingly and operating sensibly.

Clubs like ours need a strong Hearts to generate interest in our game and for as much as it would put joy in my heart (hahaha) to see them relegated, the pragmatic part of me feels that they are a necessary evil.

Hibs:

My ex-wife is a Hi-bee. In spite of that, I have always had a soft spot for them due mainly to their origin and roots.

They may not have the same attachment to their origins that Celtic do and they may also be hamstrung by Rod the prod and Weeman Dempster, but I still hanker for the cabbage a bit and there would be no doubt that they would be my team of choice in a world without Celtic.

Hibs are undoubtedly one of our big clubs and like the sheep and jambos, they would easily eclipse several EPL clubs in their potential size and scale.

I also like their traditional kit.......

Dundee United:

I grew up in the shadow of both Dens and Tannadice and spent many years of my youth alternately "sneaking in" to both grounds.

United have a decent set-up and they have the infrastructure and stadium that the SPFL surely needs.

They carry a decent fanbase and they have a relatively good recent history (since the 1960's). In spite of several good European runs, United underachieved in the 80's. If their manager wasn't such a tyrant - they would have won several more trophies. United froze on many occasions due to fear of losing, Celtic benefited from that fear in at least two high profile Cup finals (85 & 88).

I'm kinda indifferent to United and someone has to have a word about their colour scheme, but if Scottish football is to make a decent fist of it, it definitely needs a strong Arab quarter.

Also have to note that United have played Barcelona 4 times competitively and won each and every time.

Fingers are sore.......please feel free to add your own thoughts

Last edited:
I love Scottish football. I know it might not be the most technically gifted league and the guardians of our game are about as much use as a chocolate teapot, but I love Scottish football nonetheless.

I'm going to offer my impressions of the sides we ply our trade against and why I admire or passionately dislike what they stand for.

Aberdeen:

Historically, I have nothing but respect for what Aberdeen have achieved. Their Cup Winners Cup victory was an incredible feat considering the opposition they had to encounter during their run. Their victory against Bayern Munich at Pittodrie must stand as one of the top 5 Scottish results in European football and for a 10-year period, they were a side I feared when Celtic had to play them. Due to their geography and catchment area, Aberdeen could sustain a fan base that would far outstrip several clubs currently playing in the EPL. They may not have global appeal, but they have enough local support to remain a serious challenger given the resources to do so.

Hearts:

I don't like Hearts. I don't like what they stand for. I don't like their fans. I don't like their false sense of entitlement.

However, like Aberdeen, they have the potential to be a genuinely big club if they were to focus on cutting their cloth accordingly and operating sensibly.

Clubs like ours need a strong Hearts to generate interest in our game and for as much as it would put joy in my heart (hahaha) to see them relegated, the pragmatic part of me feels that they are a necessary evil.

Hibs:

My ex-wife is a Hi-bee. In spite of that, I have always had a soft spot for them due mainly to their origin and roots.

They may not have the same attachment to their origins that Celtic do and they may also be hamstrung by Rod the prod and Weeman Dempster, but I still hanker for the cabbage a bit and there would be no doubt that they would be my team of choice in a world without Celtic.

Hibs are undoubtedly one of our big clubs and like the sheep and jambos, they would easily eclipse several EPL clubs in their potential size and scale.

Dundee United:

I grew up in the shadow of both Dens and Tannadice and spent many years of my youth alternately "sneaking in" to both grounds.

United have a decent set-up and they have the infrastructure and stadium that the SPFL surely needs.

They carry a decent fanbase and they have a relatively good recent history (since the 1960's). In spite of several good European runs, United underachieved in the 80's. If their manager wasn't such a tyrant - they would have won several more trophies. United froze on many occasions due to fear of losing, Celtic benefited from that fear on at least two high profile Cup finals (85 & 88).

I'm kinda indifferent to United and someone has to have a word about their colour scheme, but if Scottish football is to make a decent first of it, it definitely needs a strong United.

Also have to note that United have played Barcelona 4 times competitively and won each and every time.

Whit rivals? Stella beats Tennents everytime! great post though SP! 🍺

Aberdeen:

Hearts:

Hibs:

Dundee United:

They carry a decent fanbase and they have a relatively good recent history (since the 1960's). In spite of several good European runs, United underachieved in the 80's. If their manager wasn't such a tyrant - they would have won several more trophies. United froze on many occasions due to fear of losing, Celtic benefited from that fear in at least two high profile Cup finals (85 & 88).

I'm kinda indifferent to United and someone has to have a word about their colour scheme, but if Scottish football is to make a decent fist of it, it definitely needs a strong Arab quarter.

You haven't given it much thought, have you SP?

Aberdeen:

Hearts:

Hibs:

Dundee United:

Aberdeen
I lived surrounded by 🐑 (steady Tony S - I know what you are going to accuse me of) and they are mostly alright.

Dundee
Never really liked them at all.

Dundee Utd
Always had a soft spot for them. When I was very young my Dad said he supported them but in reality I grew up to realise he wasn't too fussed. But I always liked their fans and style of play.

Livi
Are they really a top 6 team. Fair play to them for making the most of their limited resources - pity they get so much advantage from such a crap old style astroturf pitch.

Hamilton
Show yer plastic pitch up yer arse. I went out with a lassie from Hamilton for a few months - turned out she was mental!

Hearts
I never liked the Huns of Midlothian. Had some horrible experiences at Tynecastle and never liked their fans.

Hibs
One of the better ones.

Killie
Hullo, hullo, you are the Killie boys - well feck off then! Arseholes

Motherwell
Pish - hate the colours of their strip too

Ross County
Meh!

St Johnstone
They don't really rate too highly in my giving a monkeys stakes. Pretty bland but happy for a Tayside team to be doing well.

St Mirren
My best pal is a buddy so I sm legally obliged to insist that they are a shower of shit!

Aberdeen
I lived surrounded by 🐑 (steady Tony S - I know what you are going to accuse me of) and they are mostly alright.

Dundee
Never really liked them at all.

Dundee Utd
Always had a soft spot for them. When I was very young my Dad said he supported them but in reality I grew up to realise he wasn't too fussed. But I always liked their fans and style of play.

Livi
Are they really a top 6 team. Fair play to them for making the most of their limited resources - pity they get so much advantage from such a crap old style astroturf pitch.

Hamilton
Show yer plastic pitch up yer arse. I went out with a lassie from Hamilton for a few months - turned out she was mental!

Hearts
I never liked the Huns of Midlothian. Had some horrible experiences at Tynecastle and never liked their fans.

Hibs
One of the better ones.

Killie
Hullo, hullo, you are the Killie boys - well feck off then! Arseholes

Motherwell
Pish - hate the colours of their strip too

Ross County
Meh!

St Johnstone
They don't really rate too highly in my giving a monkeys stakes. Pretty bland but happy for a Tayside team to be doing well.

St Mirren
My best pal is a buddy so I sm legally obliged to insist that they are a shower of shit!
See Hoopy.........here's a fella wie real class. I'm pretty pished and I had to gather all of my collective powers of reason to drive that nonsense oot.

At least my fellow North-Easterner has the patience to tolerate my drivel.

Agree with SP on his assessment of those three teams. My views are limited by only two seasons -- and this one not even a full one this season -- but to add to the list:

Ross County: No real opinion either way. Cool mascot, though.

Motherhell: I consistently misspell their name on purpose. Every time. Hammerthrowers, every last one of them. Their kit sucks, too.

Kilmarnock: Someone more artistically inclined than me (and with better Photoshop skills) needs to take the Killie crest, bend the index finger so just the middle finger is pointing up and replace "Confidemus" with "Supellectilem", Latin for "get stuffed". Never crazy about vertical stripes on kits, but respected Steve Clarke as their gaffer.

Hamilton: Hammerthrowers with an awful pitch. Pray every night before I go to bed that they get relegated, even though they stuck one on the Huns a few weeks ago.

Livingston: Yeah, they play us tough, but in the end they're still the Tony Macaronis. Get a real pitch, too, guys.

The Saints (Johnstone & Mirren): Yawn. Next.

The Rangers™: Fuck those clowns. Next time they go under, hopefully it will be for good.

Aberdeen:

Hearts:

Hibs:

Dundee United:

I have lot of time for all genuine football fans of Scottish teams, no matter what team they support.

With the one caveat that they recognise clubs can die if they aren't run responsibly both for their own club and the league as a whole.

If Im honest I think Dundee United are in some serious financial peril.

Even if they got to premier.

the tv deals have broken the Scottish league that I think whole thing is in serious danger of ending soon.

Darien style, I have a feeling it might lead to Scotland becoming a regional league in a wider British set up and the Scottish national team being folded to accommodate the rules of international football.

And I think this covid might just kill enough teams to make it the only viable Brexit solution to keep Scottish teams having professional football

Not sure if that's likely or just my warped mind

but it might well be what needs to happen to have any hope of competing in the big money leagues ever.

I have lot of time for all genuine football fans of Scottish teams, no matter what team they support.

With the one caveat that they recognise clubs can die if they aren't run responsibly both for their own club and the league as a whole.

If Im honest I think Dundee United are in some serious financial peril.

Even if they got to premier.

the tv deals have broken the Scottish league that I think whole thing is in serious danger of ending soon.

Darien style, I have a feeling it might lead to Scotland becoming a regional league in a wider British set up and the Scottish national team being folded to accommodate the rules of international football.

And I think this covid might just kill enough teams to make it the only viable Brexit solution to keep Scottish teams having professional football

Not sure if that's likely or just my warped mind

but it might well be what needs to happen to have any hope of competing in the big money leagues ever.
Both United and Dundee have majority American shareholders, TET.

Both are saying the right things in the local press, but I guess all that has been said before at a certain facsimile club in Glasgow too.

It appears that a few fans of both clubs are coming around to a relatively new way of thinking and seem to understand that if professional football is going to survive in Dundee, then something has to give.

I hope so, as one of the bigger cities in Scotland - the SPFL needs some representation from the city if only to draw in a bigger audience. Personally, I'd like both up there because it brings Celtic closer to my doorstep, but the consensus is slowly shifting and there is a gradual realisation that two clubs is maybe one too many.

Aberdeen:

Hearts:

Hibs:

Dundee United:

Got to say I'm disappointed that you stopped after 4 teams.
Must try harder. 🤣🤣🤣

It must be hard supporting other teams in Scotland bar us and before recent the huns....you turn up every week , pay your money , putting it all on the line for them but ultimately knowing that they will have an extremely slim chance of winning a trophy, ever!!

Us on the other hand, are the complete opposite

If we were not playing in Scotland, huns too, I think crowds would rise again!! hearts, Hibs, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, any of 7 or 8 teams could win the league at the start of any given season
Fans are not going now because prices are obviously too high, but also, fans are sick of us winning all the time! Fans are sick of the Celtic and Hun saturation in the game...we are killing the game here to an extent
If you took us out the equation, the rest would find their level for sure but fans would become exited again about following their team because they would be genuine title contenders

Bit tender this morning, Stevie..........I had some of my Uncle's moonshine when I got home last night and my heid has got the zoomies and my guts are are doing an impression of a roller-coaster.
[/QUOTE
Bit tender this morning, Stevie..........I had some of my Uncle's moonshine when I got home last night and my heid has got the zoomies and my guts are are doing an impression of a roller-coaster.
Ok. I'll cut you some slack. 10.30🤣

It must be hard supporting other teams in Scotland bar us and before recent the huns....you turn up every week , pay your money , putting it all on the line for them but ultimately knowing that they will have an extremely slim chance of winning a trophy, ever!!

Us on the other hand, are the complete opposite

If we were not playing in Scotland, huns too, I think crowds would rise again!! hearts, Hibs, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, any of 7 or 8 teams could win the league at the start of any given season
Fans are not going now because prices are obviously too high, but also, fans are sick of us winning all the time! Fans are sick of the Celtic and Hun saturation in the game...we are killing the game here to an extent
If you took us out the equation, the rest would find their level for sure but fans would become exited again about following their team because they would be genuine title contenders
So how do you propose we are taken out the equation?

Members online

Latest posts

Back