How Do We Feel About Our Rivals?

The sooner we are oot a this wee backward facing league set the better, but in the spirit of the thread here goes.

Aberdeen,, hated the trip back to EK on the supporters bus when we used to get hammered regularly up there, as for there fans me n wee shades got spat at by a few of them in one of our recent cup games at hampden, fook the lot of them.

Dundee teams, never bothered much about them, the fans of blue Dundee are a bit scumy, tangerine mob usually fine, but the Dundee polis dont exactly extend the hand of friendship to people with Green and White on.

Hearts, Scum owners and the fans are worse, I remember in the 70's a running battle during the game between both sets of fans seemed to last the whole of the second half, chasing each other back n forth the terrace, police let them get on with it. It was a reserve game ffs.

Hibs, dont mind the team as for the people who have ran them, bassas the lot, and their fans are possibly more paranoid than sevcos.

Kilmasonick,, nuffsaid,pies are okay though.

Livvy, no opinion either way, owners a while back were Celtic friendly, pitch a disgrace though, never met any of their fans.

Mwell,,, Ffs how long have I got, scummy wee ned wannabe casuals, the calamero of Scottish football.

St J .... Never encountered a problem with them, and despite being near neighbour's to Dundee seems as though the police are a lot friendlier.

St Mirren, loads of my family fae Paisley (feegie) , so I best leave it at that or our next family get together might be a laugh..

Did I forget anyone??

H.H

It must be hard supporting other teams in Scotland bar us and before recent the huns....you turn up every week , pay your money , putting it all on the line for them but ultimately knowing that they will have an extremely slim chance of winning a trophy, ever!!

Us on the other hand, are the complete opposite

If we were not playing in Scotland, huns too, I think crowds would rise again!! hearts, Hibs, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, any of 7 or 8 teams could win the league at the start of any given season
Fans are not going now because prices are obviously too high, but also, fans are sick of us winning all the time! Fans are sick of the Celtic and Hun saturation in the game...we are killing the game here to an extent
If you took us out the equation, the rest would find their level for sure but fans would become exited again about following their team because they would be genuine title contenders
I still think there is a bit of responsibility on other clubs to move with the times and realise that there has to be some changes in how they operate. It's madness for four clubs in Lanarkshire trying to compete with each other for fans and also with us and them. The same pattern repeats throughout Scotland and it's just not sustainable anymore. There are far too many other attractions to compete with disposable income and Scottish football still lives in this false economy that thinks £25 a game is reasonable value?

Dodo FC started the decline of Scottish football when they started importing the English lads and foreign players. We had to follow suit, but the standards locally had dropped. I say this without fear of contradiction, I could have made a living playing football in todays game. I know that there are probably many many more regular contributors to this site who would have picked up a sizable wage if they were born in this era.

All of the clubs have lost sight about the sheer joy and magic of young boys and girls just being able to go out and play football just for the hell of it. Academies have a place, but formula football lacks soul and personality. Great wee individual players get the joy sucked out of them because they stray out of position nowadays. I understand that the days of 30-a-side on any patch of wasteland are long gone and that even the juvenile and amateur games just don't get the youngsters anymore. Perhaps the clubs can help finance recs and play areas throughout the country or maybe even toss out a player or two to start a random kickabout in the park.

These places were the lifeblood of our game and Scottish schemes, parks, streets and back-greenies were an assembly line of talent. There were enough players to go round and every club had one or two star names.

I'm afraid, I haven't quite mastered that time machine yet, but we spent that long looking at white papers about what other countries like Holland did, that we completely lost sight of what it was Scotland did well.........Pure individual talent in abundance. It was the politics of youth football that started the rot, not the players themselves. Countless boys were lost to the game (particularly in the north) because of proportional representation at schoolboy international level. If Celtic had a particularly decent crop of players and 6 got selected for the schoolboys, then Zoomer FC had to have the same amount regardless of how shite they were. That meant only 4 places in a 16-boy squad throughout the rest of the country........fuckin lunacy.

I'm gonna protect some modesty here, but there's a regular on here who was a ba' hair away from living the dream. I'd think he would be the first to admit that once that carrot has gone, another bit of your footballing soul goes with it. Another problem was how young players back then were just cattle. I done my knee ligaments in Preston and they just confined me to the scrapheap. I may not have progressed any further, but they could have at least gave me an insurance policy that would get me treatment and at least the chance to play at a level again.

Naw......thanks but no thanks. You'll get a wee pension in 20-years, but good luck and goodbye. Try not to let the door hit your leg when you're leaving the stadium. I'm not bitter, Docco, but I was sickened off of football for a few years. I fell back in love with it again when it gave me the chance to go and watch Celtic on a regular basis, but my knee seizes up now and I can't run anymore.

Provincial clubs are throwing thousands of pounds a week on footballing non-entities from England and abroad. Perhaps incentivising our youth might be more productive and cost-effective, but to be fair - what do I know really?

The sooner we are oot a this wee backward facing league set the better, but in the spirit of the thread here goes.

Aberdeen,, hated the trip back to EK on the supporters bus when we used to get hammered regularly up there, as for there fans me n wee shades got spat at by a few of them in one of our recent cup games at hampden, fook the lot of them.

Dundee teams, never bothered much about them, the fans of blue Dundee are a bit scumy, tangerine mob usually fine, but the Dundee polis dont exactly extend the hand of friendship to people with Green and White on.

Hearts, Scum owners and the fans are worse, I remember in the 70's a running battle during the game between both sets of fans seemed to last the whole of the second half, chasing each other back n forth the terrace, police let them get on with it. It was a reserve game ffs.

Hibs, dont mind the team as for the people who have ran them, bassas the lot, and their fans are possibly more paranoid than sevcos.

Kilmasonick,, nuffsaid,pies are okay though.

Livvy, no opinion either way, owners a while back were Celtic friendly, pitch a disgrace though, never met any of their fans.

Mwell,,, Ffs how long have I got, scummy wee ned wannabe casuals, the calamero of Scottish football.

St J .... Never encountered a problem with them, and despite being near neighbour's to Dundee seems as though the police are a lot friendlier.

St Mirren, loads of my family fae Paisley (feegie) , so I best leave it at that or our next family get together might be a laugh..

Did I forget anyone??

H.H
Dundee fuzz are fuckwits to Dundonians as well, 50. Particularly if you're no in the ubiquitous and have an Irish name.

Ffs just realised I forgot the most important one...

Ross County,, I'm biased because my Son and Grandson live in Dingwall,so lovely wee town, fans fine although not 2 vocal, and a great wee community spirited team, p.s Son and Grandson have County as there second team 🤫
I went up to Dingwall when they were Highland League, 50. Great wee place, great wee club, but it was horrendous to get to back then.

It would be easier for me to get to most parts of England than it was to get to Dingwall, but I'm glad they got into the seniors although I still get nightmares aboot THAT semi-final.

I still think there is a bit of responsibility on other clubs to move with the times and realise that there has to be some changes in how they operate. It's madness for four clubs in Lanarkshire trying to compete with each other for fans and also with us and them. The same pattern repeats throughout Scotland and it's just not sustainable anymore. There are far too many other attractions to compete with disposable income and Scottish football still lives in this false economy that thinks £25 a game is reasonable value?

Dodo FC started the decline of Scottish football when they started importing the English lads and foreign players. We had to follow suit, but the standards locally had dropped. I say this without fear of contradiction, I could have made a living playing football in todays game. I know that there are probably many many more regular contributors to this site who would have picked up a sizable wage if they were born in this era.

All of the clubs have lost sight about the sheer joy and magic of young boys and girls just being able to go out and play football just for the hell of it. Academies have a place, but formula football lacks soul and personality. Great wee individual players get the joy sucked out of them because they stray out of position nowadays. I understand that the days of 30-a-side on any patch of wasteland are long gone and that even the juvenile and amateur games just don't get the youngsters anymore. Perhaps the clubs can help finance recs and play areas throughout the country or maybe even toss out a player or two to start a random kickabout in the park.

These places were the lifeblood of our game and Scottish schemes, parks, streets and back-greenies were an assembly line of talent. There were enough players to go round and every club had one or two star names.

I'm afraid, I haven't quite mastered that time machine yet, but we spent that long looking at white papers about what other countries like Holland did, that we completely lost sight of what it was Scotland did well.........Pure individual talent in abundance. It was the politics of youth football that started the rot, not the players themselves. Countless boys were lost to the game (particularly in the north) because of proportional representation at schoolboy international level. If Celtic had a particularly decent crop of players and 6 got selected for the schoolboys, then Zoomer FC had to have the same amount regardless of how shite they were. That meant only 4 places in a 16-boy squad throughout the rest of the country........fuckin lunacy.

I'm gonna protect some modesty here, but there's a regular on here who was a ba' hair away from living the dream. I'd think he would be the first to admit that once that carrot has gone, another bit of your footballing soul goes with it. Another problem was how young players back then were just cattle. I done my knee ligaments in Preston and they just confined me to the scrapheap. I may not have progressed any further, but they could have at least gave me an insurance policy that would get me treatment and at least the chance to play at a level again.

Naw......thanks but no thanks. You'll get a wee pension in 20-years, but good luck and goodbye. Try not to let the door hit your leg when you're leaving the stadium. I'm not bitter, Docco, but I was sickened off of football for a few years. I fell back in love with it again when it gave me the chance to go and watch Celtic on a regular basis, but my knee seizes up now and I can't run anymore.

Provincial clubs are throwing thousands of pounds a week on footballing non-entities from England and abroad. Perhaps incentivising our youth might be more productive and cost-effective, but to be fair - what do I know really?
The talent is here on our doorstep. Like you said we need to give the youngsters the "tools" to move forward with more spaces to encourage a kickabout. It starts right there. That said i was happy enough to regularly have a kickabout on the streets of Calton.

Nice post...very evocative my friend

The talent is here on our doorstep. Like you said we need to give the youngsters the "tools" to move forward with more spaces to encourage a kickabout. It starts right there. That said i was happy enough to regularly have a kickabout on the streets of Calton.
It was all-in too, Stevie.......7-year olds playing with 17-year olds. Toughened you up, but also got you a bit of kudos in the area if you could kick a ba'.

Traffic wasn't as much of an issue and every patch of land nowadays is potential real estate, but there has to be some way of getting boys and girls a game without getting squashed by a double-decker or a crane (or Kelly's tractor).

It was all-in too, Stevie.......7-year olds playing with 17-year olds. Toughened you up, but also got you a bit of kudos in the area if you could kick a ba'.

Traffic wasn't as much of an issue and every patch of land nowadays is potential real estate, but there has to be some way of getting boys and girls a game without getting squashed by a double-decker or a crane (or Kelly's tractor).
Aye that's right. Me and a few pals would have a kickabout on the street and wait for the older guys to come out the pubs on a Sunday then go play down Glasgow Green. Priceless.

Nice post...very evocative my friend
I agree with you that it's not healthy for the game in Scotland to have two behemoths, Docco.

I understand that it's more business-minded nowadays and dictated by market forces, but I do miss the days of bricking it in Aberdeen, dreading Dundee United and getting pumped 5-1 by Dundee (I don't really miss that part).

I don't know the answer, but there was a genuine magic about Scottish football and there was once a time when you would have fancied Morton to beat Man City. Cannae see that happening any time soon.

Latest posts

Back